Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going through the woods the other day and found what looked like a completely rotten stick. Decided to cut into it to try and find a piece of cool colored wood, at least big enough for decorating a knife handle or maybe whittling a little snuff spoon. Turned out to be red cedar and besides a thin layer of rot on the outside, this wood is crazy dense and should make a fine slingshot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice find! I would suggest that you not oil it. Cedar like that gets murky very easily. Even the mineral oil in my beeswax pate was too much. Try Carnuba on a scrap and see how you like it. :twocents:
I have found the same thing flipgun, I used to always use blo, but found in fine grained woods it takes away from the detail and makes it really murky. The ca finish is probably what I will do once I figure out what frame style I would like to pull out of this piece

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Going between the pocket knife and rasp to start flattening this piece out, it is super dense and the random knots and curly grain sure like to put up a fight. Thinking I will just flatten both faces for tonight, figure out a suitable template; and then decide if I’m going to do any laminations or leave this one as a single wood piece. But for tonight just whittle the faces down flat and smooth if I can get that far

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
Looks like you found some fatwood! Extremely dense and strong, and an excellent natural firestarter!
I have never heard of this term and google brought me to some... indecent pictures when I tried to google it what is fat wood?
Fatwood is coniferous wood that is impregnated with resin. It goes by many different names. It can be found in old roots, and in the center of decaying logs. What's cool about it is the resin stabilizes the wood, so it's weatherproof and doesn't rot. You can dig through the soft spongy punk wood of a downed log and find the solid core of fatwood preserved inside. There are a lot of tricks on how to find it and it can be elusive sometimes but it's basically nature's perfect firestarter. The resin is extremely flammable and the wood simultaneously provides fuel.

Here is a good link with more info:

·
Neophyte
2,094 Posts
A lot of people locally, myself included, swear by fatwood for when you absolutely need a fire. Fatwood seems to be caused by a lightning strikes or a lot of struck trees just happen to become fatwood.

Reactions: MOJAVE MO
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.