Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, with the last few days being snowy and cold, I set up a catch box in the basement.
Made a quick bandset from cutting an alliance sterling #107 in half (lengthwise) so each band was 5/16 wide. 9 1/2" active length, which maxed out is 51" draw.

Never done this before, threw them on a cheep Chinese sling and started shooting some 1/4"steels and they were going crazy fast. So just for fun I though I would try 5/8 marbles. And man they seemed to be going fast as well.

So ran outside quick to chrony them. I know from shooting 107s a lot that in the summer I get 220fps and winter I get 185 with 5/8 marbles or 7/16 steel. (I know are to light for these bands)
Anyway......today is 0 degrees/32 Fahrenheit and these light bands were shooting 5/8 glass at an average of 225 FPS!! First shot was 210 after 5 or 6 shots I was getting up to 235. I took the pic on the 2nd shot then my phone died lol.

Crazy to think you could totally hunt with these tiny bands. Plant Sky Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle
Bicycle handlebar Audio equipment Body jewelry Wood Gadget

Attachments

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I'm guessing 107s are about the same size as 117s only wider? Managed to put a blood blister on my thumb today using 117s ...

Frameless, home made pouch, 8" working length. 31" draw fixed anchor. Temp + or - 80F.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm guessing 107s are about the same size as 117s only wider? Managed to put a blood blister on my thumb today using 117s ...
Frameless, home made pouch, 8" working length. 31" draw fixed anchor. Temp + or - 80F.
I think so....but I'm not sure. Been a long while since I shot 117's

I'm gonna try frameless here soon!!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
107 throw rocks pretty well.
Yes they do. Full width they definitely like the heavy amm

Yes they do. Full width they definitely like the heavy ammo.
Are you using the Sterling Alliance bands which are supposed to be the ones for our sport? Ive tried the regular stuff Staples sells in town here in the past and wasnt impressed. Shame we cant get Sterling Alliiance here with out having to pay ridiculously high shipping charges to Canada.

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes they do. Full width they definitely like the heavy amm

Yes they do. Full width they definitely like the heavy ammo.
Are you using the Sterling Alliance bands which are supposed to be the ones for our sport? Ive tried the regular stuff Staples sells in town here in the past and wasnt impressed. Shame we cant get Sterling Alliiance here with out having to pay ridiculously high shipping charges to Canada.
Yes the alliance sterlings. I've use the staples ones as well but there not nearly as good unfortunately. Ya I order them from amazon.ca there usually about 15 to 20 dollars a box of 50 bands. Which makes 25 full width band sets, or 50 like this. But I find the price Isn't to bad due to them lasting so long. And I don't use them a lot so a box typically last me a couple years. And My sister has prime so I get here to order them lol.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Hey guys, with the last few days being snowy and cold, I set up a catch box in the basement.
Made a quick bandset from cutting an alliance sterling #107 in half (lengthwise) so each band was 5/16 wide. 9 1/2" active length, which maxed out is 51" draw.

Never done this before, threw them on a cheep Chinese sling and started shooting some 1/4"steels and they were going crazy fast. So just for fun I though I would try 5/8 marbles. And man they seemed to be going fast as well.

So ran outside quick to chrony them. I know from shooting 107s a lot that in the summer I get 220fps and winter I get 185 with 5/8 marbles or 7/16 steel. (I know are to light for these bands)
Anyway......today is 0 degrees/32 Fahrenheit and these light bands were shooting 5/8 glass at an average of 225 FPS!! First shot was 210 after 5 or 6 shots I was getting up to 235. I took the pic on the 2nd shot then my phone died lol.

Crazy to think you could totally hunt with these tiny bands.
attachicon.gif
F72EBAA0-F2EB-43E4-8BCE-99FFAA1E4AD9.jpeg
attachicon.gif
01E443D9-647F-4419-8160-2A117752C6F1.jpeg
Pretty much gum rubber. Used it all the time when I was a kid to hunt.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
Holy Rocket Launchers!

That is fast.

I have only a 23" draw, but these qould still be great for plinking.

Reactions: Ibojoe

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
SJAaz, I am always firgetting you joined the wild side of the frameless maniacs...and also always tempted to try it again.

I think I may try some of Ghost's extended fork pana darts in the spring...after I make a modded extended fork flip with Mr. Koehler's hand protection.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Holy Rocket Launchers!

That is fast.

They are ok for a shot now and then, I don't shoot them for more than ten after that they get tough for me but I'm 68 and arthritic!

·
Registered
817 Posts
Holy Rocket Launchers!

That is fast.

They are ok for a shot now and then, I don't shoot them for more than ten after that they get tough for me but I'm 68 and arthritic!

That comment was for full ones never tried cutting them in half lengthwise!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts