Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living in Florida i spend a lot of time on my A.T.V. out on the trails and in the marsh. A few years back I wondered to many miles back in the swamp. As luck my A. T .V. ran out of gas.
Hoe could I have been so stupid. The only thing to do was to walk out. I grabbed my slingshot out of my saddle bags along with some 1/2 inch steel shot and started walking through the swamp.
I figured I was about 25 miles from my truck.
The muck was thick and the water was about 3 feet deep when I saw my first Cotton mouth water moccasin. It was about 10 feet away and coming at me. With a quick of my slingshot I dispatched of him.
I traveled about 2 miles when I decided I had better make camp for the night. I found a small Island and build a fire, gathered extra fire wood and settled in .
A swamp rabbet had the same thought and with a steel B.B to the side of his head I had supper for the night. The Misquotes were madding but I covered my exposed skin with mud and boiled some
water in my canteen to drink.
I don't know what time it was when I heard the rower of a big garter. I could see his red eyes glowing in the light from the fire. I was hopping he would stay out in the water but as luck would have it he decided to share the island with me. I put a steel B.B. in my slingshot. I didn't expect to kill him, just to detour him from coming any closer. I aimed for one of his eyes and let fly. All heck broke loose. I must have missed his eye and succeed to piss him off. The only tree was a scrub oak about 20 foot high. I don't know how those little limbs held me but I wasn't about to turn loose. It was a miserable few hours before he diced to leave.
I built the fire up and didn't sleep much that first night.
The next morning I ate a few berries I found and started out again. I made good time until about noon when I saw a 5ft. rattle snake. I killed it with a couple of shots and cut his head off. After building a small fire I cooked part of him for lunch. I waked on into the swamp and in a couple of hours I encountered a norther gaiter. It was about 8 or 9 feet long and was aggressive. This time I had no tree to climb so the only thing I could do was fight. I put a steel B. B. in the pouch and at 10 feet I shot for his right eye. That is where I hit him. There was a loud rower and a lot of splashing when he stopped and just stood there looking at me with his one eye. I let fly with another B.B and hit his left eye straight on. There wasn't even a splash, he just rolled over on his back and was dead. I just couldn't believe it. I cut off part of his tail for supper and went on my way.
That evening I found an island a little bigger and with bigger trees than the previous night. I gathered more fire wood than was needed and built a bed about 10 feet up a tree. I cooked the gaiter tail and boiled more water. Put more mud on exposed parts and when dark arrived I climbed up in my bed. I was so tired I didn't have any trouble in going to sleep.
When I awoke the sun was up and another cotton mouth on the ground. The slingshot made short work of him and i climbed down to relive my bladder. As any one that has ever been out in the swamp knows its easy to get turned around. Some times this can bee deadly. It happened to me. I had figured I had gone about halfway to my truck. I killed another swamp rabbit and stopped for lunch when I heard an air boat coming my way. not sure where he would go I ran out in the water and saw him. Waving my arms and jumping up and down He probably thought he came across big soot or something. He swung over my way and slowed down until He decided I was not some wild creature or something. I told him my story and it seams I was on the wrong track to my truck. He gave me a lift and I was never more grateful in my life. after a few days rest a friend of mine took me out to my A.T.V. with a can of gas. I still wondered out in the swamp but never with out spare gas and my trusty slingshot.

Longbow.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
no It was mint for jorges story contest. I screwed up and posted it on this page. There are some other neat stories on that post.
Just open two web pages of the forum while signed in, begin a reply in the short story thread, then go to the web page with your story, copy and paste the story to the reply at the story contest thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.