Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy folks

Just bought this Slingshot rifle kit off of eBay, it came with silver rails and a collection of unfinished laser cut components ready to be finished and painted.

I replaced the silver rails for black ones and modified the lower slider carriage plate to take the trigger come handgrip from the same seller.
She has 16 X 3/16" rubbers which give a very powerful release at 22 inches stretch, more than enough to go clear through a rabbit at 30 yards, using 3/8" balls, a very capable weapon.

I painted everything black and added my own Picatinny rail plates from stock alloy 1/4" plate, these allow other items to be added later and hold everything firm and square.

She is cocked by pulling down on the two red handles on the top plate until the lock slide click in, there is no safety atch and why I aded a trigger gaurd and grip combo.

After testing I can say she is pretty accurate giving two inch groups, 10 shots at 25-30 yards.

Cocking is quite easy but younger ages might find it a tad harder to cock, but the catch bar can be moved forwards for easier loading.

The picture below show the modified lower plate to accomodate the trigger gaurd come hand grip which really finishes off the whole rig.

Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel

The pictures below show the final setup,

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Hood Bumper

Automotive tire Trigger Bumper Air gun Motor vehicle

Electrical wiring Cable Wire Toy Hood

Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Machine Automotive exterior

Bumper Wood Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Gas

Automotive tire Machine Engineering Automotive wheel system Automotive design

Office equipment Office supplies Electronic instrument Gas Engineering

I might do a video and crony test sometime this fall to show how powerful it really is and how accurate it is over several distances.

Thanks for looking.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Tire Automotive tire Bicycle tire Wood Air gun
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Hood Bumper
Automotive tire Trigger Bumper Air gun Motor vehicle
Electrical wiring Cable Wire Toy Hood
Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Machine Automotive exterior
Bumper Wood Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Gas
Wheel Automotive lighting Bicycle Bicycle tire Automotive tire
Automotive tire Machine Engineering Automotive wheel system Automotive design
Office equipment Office supplies Electronic instrument Gas Engineering

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting.
An interesting design. Simple but effective.

what locks the trigger and handle in place?

keep us posted.
The whole trigger block come grip section slides back until the rear pull pin which is spring automatically snaps into place as it rides up the ramp plate, this plate is adjustable for distance/power.

The rig is several times more powerful than the Chinese RX 7 variant and retains all of its energy as there is nothing to slow down the power stroke, other than the leather pouch, on the pulley system seen on the RX7 rifle, this soaks up over half of it's available energy, which is pretty weak TBH.

Automotive tire Gas Trigger Machine Gun accessory

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's nice work.
I had a couple of those, they do need quite a bit of fettling to get them comfortable and safe (lots of sharp edges as supplied).
I too found them very accurate, but I think you may be disappointed if you run it over a chrono. The problem is that those standard Chinese trigger mechanisms only allow balls of up to 10mm to be used and as standard it's massively over banded, so although the pull weight is very high the muzzle energy is not. If it's running at more than 10 ftlbs I'd be surprised.
I doubled the power of mine by adding a 300mm extension to the front and making up a new fork from 8mm duralmin, which took 35mm to 15mm flatbands.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's nice work.
I had a couple of those, they do need quite a bit of fettling to get them comfortable and safe (lots of sharp edges as supplied).
I too found them very accurate, but I think you may be disappointed if you run it over a chrono. The problem is that those standard Chinese trigger mechanisms only allow balls of up to 10mm to be used and as standard it's massively over banded, so although the pull weight is very high the muzzle energy is not. If it's running at more than 10 ftlbs I'd be surprised.
I doubled the power of mine by adding a 300mm extension to the front and making up a new fork from 8mm duralmin, which took 35mm to 15mm flatbands.
Hi Bob

Several of the things you mentioned I had to do to iron things out, after all, it is sold as to finish off model and not a ready to fire system, the main task was the sharp edges on the front fork, the finished laser cutting needed shamfering off to stop the bands from being nicked in their sockets.

You also have to mod the sight rail, this needs a bridge fitting across the area where the laser cutting ends, where it is folded into shape, to stop it flexing and altering the zero after it is set up, other than that it is a manageable kit.

The speed varies with ball size and weight with 8.00mm balls they pass clean through a rabbit or 14" plywood at 550.00mm draw length, at 25 yards, any more draw length and there is little difference after that.

The trigger on my rig will allow 12.00mm balls to be used comfortably, this is more than enough hitting power to take down most small game.

I'm also experimenting making several different forks to take flat bands also an arrow version using an multi adjustable archery whisker rest, see below.

Also trying to use an existing fork for flat bands soon,

P1030085 by apprentice 01, on Flickr

The only immediate safety aspect is not having a trigger gaurd fitted, that has been sorted using the black all in one grip seen on my rig now, "supplied by the seller" who is very accomodating and will sell you a kit without the rails so you can adapt to uur own specs.

BTW, What length did you make your flat bands?

Cheers Dan.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yes, I forgot about the bridge piece on the sight rail mount.
I can't remember what length they were, with the rail extension in place it made for over a meter of pull when cocked, I think they were maybe 200mm or so?
When I made my new front fork I built in a front sight with adjustable elevation and then bought a flip up peep sight to go on the piccatiny rail - I prefer opens to optics.
In the end I sold mine on because in the eyes of the law I'm pretty certain that it would be classed as a crossbow, so I couldn't use it anywhere other than the back garden.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I forgot about the bridge piece on the sight rail mount.
I can't remember what length they were, with the rail extension in place it made for over a meter of pull when cocked, I think they were maybe 200mm or so?
When I made my new front fork I built in a front sight with adjustable elevation and then bought a flip up peep sight to go on the piccatiny rail - I prefer opens to optics.
In the end I sold mine on because in the eyes of the law I'm pretty certain that it would be classed as a crossbow, so I couldn't use it anywhere other than the back garden.
I think because these have a fixed trigger and not purely muscle powered that the category might change in the future, there are other devices that use the rail/s but have a fixed platform to rest/align the pouch but still using the fingers..

·
Registered
179 Posts
That's the problem with UK law -it's deliberately vague. If you get the wrong judge on the wrong day you're in for a stretch at Her Majesty's.
For me it's not worth the risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts