Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My niece posted a message on Facebook that I will act on today???? I am so proud of all she has done to hopefully make not only hers, but others lives better❤ Her husband and her work full time, coach soccer, volleyball, she is working on another college degree????❤ And raising 4 kids????❤ Her youngest is Max, my shooting buddy???????? I had a couple things to do today, but that can wait???? I’m going to take my niece out for lunch and make it all about her❤

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Good man, Tag!! I try to get some play time everyday. Some days I drive myself crazy because I simply can't make a decision! Bicycle, Canoe, Hike, Grab a compass and Orienteer, Brew or bottle some beer, .Start on a new frame,

Oh, I've got plenty of chores to do, but they seldom cross my mind! :shhh:

Reactions: Tag

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
Good man, Tag!! I try to get some play time everyday. Some days I drive myself crazy because I simply can't make a decision! Bicycle, Canoe, Hike, Grab a compass and Orienteer, Brew or bottle some beer, .Start on a new frame,

Oh, I've got plenty of chores to do, but they seldom cross my mind! :shhh:
Orienteering.

It is amazing how in this age folks rely upon a battery operated device known as a GPS. They rely upon the electronics, and the battery. Gee, what could possibly go wrong? Oh, and made in China -boy is that ever comforting! Let's see - density of forest canopy, cloud cover... hmmm.

Most folks haven't learned how to use any compass, let alone the wonderful orienteering compasses, such as Brunton, Silva, etc. Even fewer folks, I suppose, have read "The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs" by Gooley. Shame.

I once went to a friend's house, for the first time. His gated community was so huge, that when I finally found an exit, at the end of my visit, I was relieved. But, I had no idea which way to turn to get back to the turnpike. The sun was nowhere to be seen to give me direction. I've three compasses in the truck, and the one by the steering wheel is a simple pin-on compass. I took it outside of the truck, giving myself plenty of distance from all it's metal, and determined direction. Case closed!

I needn't have read my "Be Expert with Map and Compass" or my "Using a Map & Compass", or my "The Outward Bound Map and Compass Handbook" to use the simple round pin-on compass to put me on the right path, but it is comforting to know the knowledge to use my, Brunton, Silva, or (my favorite) Suunto orienteering compasses - rather than getting lost because a GPS unit which I had relied upon failed for any number of reasons.

Go ahead and journey "the road less traveled", my friend - with a compass and a knife you're bound to come back alive.

It wouldn't hurt to take a slingshot, of course ; )

THWACK!

·
Prince of Paraprosdokians and Epistemophilia
2,565 Posts
My niece posted a message on Facebook that I will act on today I am so proud of all she has done to hopefully make not only hers, but others lives better❤ Her husband and her work full time, coach soccer, volleyball, she is working on another college degree❤ And raising 4 kids❤ Her youngest is Max, my shooting buddy I had a couple things to do today, but that can wait I'm going to take my niece out for lunch and make it all about her❤
"LOOK!" "Up in the sky!" "Is it a bird, a plane - no wait... -it's SuperUncle!"

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I'm with you Thwack... No, not beating up on Tag but using a map and compass.

One of my favorite things to do is get a topo map, look at the terrain and plot out a course. I'll bring my pace counting beads, set my bearing and go explore.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts