Slingshots Forum banner

Taking a rest

3K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  haertig 
#1 ·
Well, guys, I guess I won't be doing any slingshot activity for a while. As I've mentioned many times before, I have arthritis in my hands and they give me a lot of trouble, but now there is something else wrong. My left hand is so weak today -- something that has been building for a while -- that I couldn't even put enough pressure on the straightedge I use to cut bands. I had to get my wife to help me.. .

Then when after a struggle I cut a pouch and rigged my sidewinder up for some butterfly shooting, I found to my dismay that I just couldn't hold the pouch in that position. And I was only using one layer of 3/4-inch straight cut black thera. I have been letting shots fly accidentally all week, too, with my regular slingshots. It seems to conform to what some of my friends said were the symptoms they experienced when they got carpal tunnel syndrome. But whatever is going on, my left hand is pretty useless right now.

I am going to rest from making and shooting until the strength comes back, or I see a doctor about what's wrong. I am very sad about this. Very sad.

I will be looking and lurking, but I don't suppose I'll be having much to say for a while.

-- Dayhiker

See less See more
#2 ·
DH, wish you the best bud, hang in there.
Philly

#3 ·
Hey BIll, I know what you're going through Bud. I can only hope that you feel better soon. It really sucks not being even at the 80% mark which you and I would gladly take right now. Stay strong and Feel better my friend. Flatband

#4 ·
Oh mate I'm so sorry to hear, I sincerely hope you get better and can shoot your slingshots again soon, however in the meantime couldn't you give your hands a rest with something less intensive like shooting a rifle or something?

#6 ·
Bill
I hope you get better soon.Here is a remedy that helped a lot of people with arthritis.2table spoons of honey,1teaspoon of cinnamon in a glass of warm water morning and evening.It looks like a glass of mud water,but tastes OK.Natural remedies you have to take for a week or two before they start to work.

#8 ·
Hey, thanks guys. Jaybird I will try that remedy. I heard of that before but never tried it. I will try it now, thanks.

Sam, I don't have any firearms. I was just making plans to get into archery too, dang it!

Wonder what I will do with my time now? Hope I don't get into trouble.

#9 ·
Ahh, Bill, that just plain sucks....no other way to put it really, what a bummer....

I really hope you get better, I'd suggest some fish oil every morning and to learn to adhere to the rule of moderation
that means no more 6 hour carving sessions, followed by banding up and then shooting for the rest of the day...

It's a shame this is happening when you have such skill with your hands, and motivation to keep using them and enjoying yourself.

All I have to say is, when you recover after some rest, to take it easy when back into the swing. Maybe invest in some tools that will let a load off your hands, and try teach your grandson to do the tying and floss attachments. Just do all the little things to help yourself out and you could keep it at bay. Other than that when it starts to nag you again, stop immediately...because once it gets real bad you may not be able to make a natural recovery with rest.

All I can say other than that is god willing the magic will return to your mits and you'll continue to grace us with pictures of your work, in less frequency as well.....

Take Care - John

p.s. maybe look into a keyboard and mouse that helps prevent carpal tunnel as well?

#10 ·
If your budget, insurance plan, or inclinations allow- I strongly suggest acupuncture. The World Health Organization recognizes acupuncture as being effective for arthritis, and i can speak from personal experience with Carpal Tunnel symptoms. In the meantime keep it warm and moving. Not using your hands is almost as bad as using them too much. Hope you find relief soon.

#12 ·
This is sad news indeed, hope you get better soon DH!! My nextdoor neighbour has arthritis, he was told to stay off dairy products, chillies, tomatoes and even potatoes!! But was advised to take omega 3, fish diet, fish oils etc. He is at best of times fitter than me so i guess it works for him!!

All the best
John-boy

#14 ·
All the best Bill, hope your back at it soon.

#15 ·
I m sorry to hear that Bill. I had the same few month before, I took good rest and used a writs support about 3 months and using a cushioned mouse pad. Now I feel very comfort. Also consider about what Jaybird said.
Hope you'll recover soon!

#21 ·
Bummer, man!
You might see how a wrist-braced model suits you for a while until your strength increases. You said it's your left hand giving you trouble so I guess that only applies if you hold the slingshot with that hand like most of us do. Anyway, a good wrist rocket with some light/medium pull flats is almost effortless to shoot. I know it's not as satisfying as shooting your own creations, but it's still sling-shooting.
Good luck and speedy recovery!

#22 ·
It's heart warming to hear from all my friends.

The trade I worked in for 32 years resulted in these symptoms for just about everybody I know.

Anyway, that's what keeps me from going to the doctor for now. I already know what's probably wrong and what the game plan will be. The reason so many of my friends had to undergo surgery is because when the symptoms occurred, they couldn't take time off to rest their hands. Since I'm an apprentice instructor now, I can rest. Then if my hand don't get any better after a month or so, I will see a doctor.

But I gotta say I was overdoing it -- I tend to do that with everything.
When I start in again, I will limit myself to an hour or two a day.

Thanks for all the good wishes. I'm sure you won't miss me, I'll stay around.

#24 ·
Bill, this is actually a subject I'm pretty familiar with... grip and forearm rehabilitation and strengthening is something I've been involved with for quite some time, and in fact have invented quite a few useful tools to aid in that endeavor.

If you're not on a prescribed rehab program and are only doing rest... let me send you a couple of things that will really help you out.

#28 ·
Don't dispair. I have suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome in the past. I have had it in both hands years ago. I remember having it so bad that I could hardly drive. I could barely turn a door knob and I was clumsily dropping things all of the time. Furthermore, I didn't sleep well when I had it because the pain would intensify in the middle of the night. The doctor recommended surgery which would have cost several thousands of dollars on each hand. Fortuanately for me I discovered something called Flextend and it turned out to be a God send. After weeks of working out with the Flextend glove, my CTS symptoms walked away. I still regularly work out with my Flextend gloves and have even made a slingshot out of one of them (see my glove shooter video).

If you really think you might be coming down with CTS, I would strongly suggest that you order a flextend glove and start working out with it. It costs over $100, but CTS surgery costs several thousands.

Here is the website for them: www.flextend.com

I wish you the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.