Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
They mostly eat invertebrates like roaches, crickets, grasshoppers, caterpillars... The biggest specimen also eat small rodents like mice. Especially theraphosa blondi, stirmi, apophysis are renown for that.
But kept in a terrarium, its better not to feed them vertebrates, they could seriously harm the spider. I also couldn't hand her them, I would feel sad for the mouse.
at the moment she is also much too small for eating such large prey.

One just throws the living food into the enclosure and she'll take care of that.

· Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
3,789 Posts
A good buddy of mine had a rose hair tarantula that used to eat mice. It was a big one too and one day he was moving it from it's cage to clean it and it bit him on his finger and his reaction was priceless 🤣. He tried to fling it off but that thing was in there deep and the flinging didn't work, when he got it off it looked like someone took a sharp pencil and stabbed his finger two times. 😳

· Registered
7,710 Posts
i hae a rose hair it started out as my stepdaughters ,but she was to busy with school and it became mine,this was before i found out they live 30 to 36 YEARS,lol. she was about the diameter of a pencil erasure and now is about 4 inches in circumfrence/leg span,when she stands up and looks out you can see her fangs,they are about 1/4 of an inch long,so would def hang on to a finger.never thought i would get attatched to one ,but watching her catch and eat the crickets,and the little happy dance afterwards,yeah it works
also @cromag as a kid we lived outside of Flagstaff and there was a migration time there as well,curious creatures :)

· Registered
4,530 Posts
My son had a Tarantula for years and we would feed "Archie" crickets mostly, or any small bugs we could catch in the summer. He was very docile.

One day he came to me crying that Archie had died, sure enough he was motionless on his back and then I noticed a second spider in the cage. He had moulted during the night left a perfect shed in the middle of his cage.

· Registered
37 Posts
I had a couple years ago. A rose hair and a pink toe. The pink toe was extremely aggressive. The rose was a docile and laid back arachnid. Had em both for over 9 years. Very interesting creatures. My wife who was deathly afraid of spiders finally got over her fears and after a couple years was holding the rose quite often. They became friends. LOL. I would consider a Goliath bird eater if I were to ever revisit them.

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I wanted a tarantula for at least a decade, but always something came inbetween.
Two or three years back I had already bought a big enclosure either for a theraphosa, xenesthis or Brazilian salmon pink or similar in size... Now, finally I felt the time is right and at one point one has to get started...
So I looked up in the small ads market, if there is something interesting.
(If you buy online here in winter it could be harmful to the spider at minus Celsius temps...)
I was delighted how many people are into spiders and terraristics.
Plan is to get some more, just boght a shelf for more terrariums.
I don't want hundreds of them, but some more slowly one after one.

Will keep you updated :)

Interesting stories, thanks for sharing, much appreciated here.
Best wishes!

· Premium Member
Love me some slingshots.
3,789 Posts
i hae a rose hair it started out as my stepdaughters ,but she was to busy with school and it became mine,this was before i found out they live 30 to 36 YEARS,lol. she was about the diameter of a pencil erasure and now is about 4 inches in circumfrence/leg span,when she stands up and looks out you can see her fangs,they are about 1/4 of an inch long,so would def hang on to a finger.never thought i would get attatched to one ,but watching her catch and eat the crickets,and the little happy dance afterwards,yeah it works
also @cromag as a kid we lived outside of Flagstaff and there was a migration time there as well,curious creatures :)
Awesome!! They are pretty cool little/ big creatures. It's the only spider I have ever held and I about shat my pants 😅. Not a big fan I have owned some kick ass snakes though

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Spider, cat or dog, they are all carnivorous fur monsters...
Spiders are creatures that I better keep behind glass, I dont think I would handle them. Nonetheless, they are extraordinary and fascinating to watch.
my tomcats would agree on that, haha.

Next week iam going to get 2 slings of theraphosa stirmi.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts