Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was poking through a second hand store, and I came across a bag containing 5 wiffle balls, used by golfers to practice their swing:

Yep ... I know there are only 4 in the bag ... I already took one out. These things are pretty tough and very light. I used to shoot at spoons, but spoons dented up my lead ammo too much, and they often deflected ammo out of the catch box. I tried tennis balls, but they are pretty large, and they also deflected an awful lot of ammo out of the catch box. I tried one of these:

As with most of my targets, I suspended in on rubber bands to help absorb the shock. It works surprisingly well! These little balls are quite tough and a good size to sharpen the eye. They bounce around in a most satisfying way when hit. I have had only one penetration ... you have to hit it just right and on a seam. One of my hunting slugs actually penetrated the ball and was captured inside. Other than that, all I get is the occasional dent, which the next hit tends to reform.

If you can find some of these things on the cheap, give them a try.

Cheers ..... Charles

· Super Moderator
10,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've used them. They don't last very long for me. So I use round disks cut from fire hose.Makes a distinct slap noise and spins around. Best of all they last FOREVER!
You are probably a much better shot than I am!!!
And of course a lot depends on the ammo and the bands. After a hundred shots or so, I can see that this will not last forever. My leather targets are the longest lasting for me ... I have yet to retire one. But I just thought I would try something different. The fire hose is a good idea ... and disks cut from old innertubes and pond liners also are practically indestructable.

Cheers ..... Charles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.