Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been shooting regularly (100+ shots a day) for a month now. I can only average hitting the 8oz (the small one) coke can about 7 of 10 times. sometimes more and once and a while less. I was just wondering what kind, and size target you shoot at from the 33 feet. Should I shoot at something smaller or just continue at the cans? What are you aiming at?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
From 33 ft, my current "challenge" is 2" diameter leather circle. At end of practice session I'll hang a pop can. Can looks like a gallon container then!

·
Registered
287 Posts
I shoot at small cans @ work step out the back door and shoot at acatch box 60 to 70 feet and I shoot 6 to 8 diff ss"s a day 1/4 5/16 and 3/8 ammo
. pick a spot on your frame for a site,. stance the same every time head held high ss up to eye not eye down to ss smooth release with thumb and first finger . Dont give up it will come . Watch vids on u tube ( Bills ) MM

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
head held high ss up to eye not eye down to ss
I shoot this way too. In Jack Koehler's book he says something along the lines of "we spend our whole life looking at things with our head straight, why would we want to tilt our head to aim a slingshot?" Made alot of sense to me and I've shot "heads-up" ever since.

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
bill's got a new post on the subject right now, good insights, its a bit of subject, but? how many pistol shooters can consistently hit a 2" target at 33'? think about that!

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
I worked at a gun range part time for 10 years , have not shot much of anything in the last 5 till I made my first ss , when you make your own ss cut your own bands make a pouch . then start hitting the target you get some real satisfaction . MM

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. I am going to try the "hold your head up" I think I am dropping mine. I do believe I am missing consistency in my stance. It is funny how sometimes I am hitting the can like there's no tomorrow and other times I wonder how I missed the target, I hit so close without hitting the target. I think it is probably being a stance thing.

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
bill's got a new post on the subject right now, good insights, its a bit of subject, but? how many pistol shooters can consistently hit a 2" target at 33'? think about that!
Exactly!
This is what is going on in my mind when I see the kind of accuracy that some slingshot shooters are achieving here.
Bottle cap hits, Bills card cutting and match lighting...
Hitting an 8oz. can 7 of 10 times from 33' is nothing to sneeze at.
But yes, of course I can understand the desire to get even better.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts