Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I have used cans, cardboard wrapped in duct tape(holds up excellent), homemade Stainless,tin, mild steel spinners. And a durable plastic material I came across. It seems like everything but the cans sends ammo back out in any direction.
I have been shooting mostly BB, 1/4" ammo. Is this the culprit or is it my choice of target? These are free moving. I would think a hit would cause them to move up out of the way and the ammo to hit backstop or down into the catch. But many do not. I have everything hung on a taught mason line.

I do not have protruding sides on my backstop, it is flat hanging cloth. But nothing encircles the area. Above or to the left or right. But most I seen are like this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My favorite spinner is short pieces of pex pipe. Tough as nails I think because it's round and it's hard to get a good square lick on it. I get very few bounce outs.
I do adjust my curtains though. One layer of t shirt for 3/8 and two for 7/16.
I like the PEX spinner. I have used pieces of old garden in a similar fashion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I recently bought this spinner Target for air guns at Walmart for$10. If I shoot a steel ball at it, it just bounces straight in the ground, if my clay ammo hits it, the ammo explodes. The smallest Target of the bunch (amount a inch or so) just spins around. Differently best thing I have came across.

·
Premium Member
9,961 Posts
I shoot fairly heavy stuff full butterfly and the plastic ones don't last long. I shoot lead at the micro fiber ones and they hold up well.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Try leather. Has a nice smack sound when you hit too
Buy a bag of scrap leather from craft store. While there buy a bottle of FabriFuse glue. It's made specifically to glue leather and other soft material. Stays flexible. If you are shooting BBs and find a bag of thick leather then one piece is all you need. If they only have the thin stuff then laminate 2 or 3 pieces together with the FabriFuse. A 2" square is a good starting point. Punch a hole (corner for a diamond shape target or center of edge for square shape) and hang in your box. I smash them with 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 and marbles and haven't had one fail yet. If an edge opens a little just hit it with more glue and clamp for an hour. Hint: glue the pieces together in a larger size than needed and cut out after glue sets. That way you have good edge adhesion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for sharing. That was my next thing to try. Leather.
I think this would work probably the best.
I have some ideas on making some. Thanks!

·
Grandpa Pete
1,419 Posts
I just added a 1/8 steel rod and two thrift store table spoon spinners to my matchbox. I took a few shots and they work great. Thanks to who ever posted the idea of using spoons as spinner targets.

GP

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had thought of making up some of those thick flat paracord braided keychain things people make.
I think some of those braided up tight would make a real durable target.
Just thought of that.
Thanks for all the ideas guys!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have tried all the suggested. For me so far leather has worked very well.
2nd best has been cut up pieces of neoprene. From old pair of fishing waders. But it don't make that thwack sound leather does.
The pex tubing worked well. But a dead center hit set the ammo out in any direction very fast! I figured it would roll on the hit. It does but also throw them back out. And most that did went vertical at an angle.
Another key will be to set my catch box up with sides and roof. To keep the glance offs contained in the box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use mostly metal,leather, silicon spinners. Out of the three silicon are my favorite, but they don’t last very long.

·
Registered
349 Posts
1/4" is like 6mm. quite small and light (ideal for those chinese flats and small pouches tho) any heavy targets or wire hits will get bounce.

I made some spinners from yellow plastic string that i wove into square. it has a loop built in and fit over the wire.a good hit spins it and few bounces.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts