Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot multiple slingshots mostly ott. I really liked the fit of the Taurus in fact I ordered a TTF model.

1 This is the only OTT that slaps my fingers in front of the slingshot. I am using gold therabands if that matters. I has shot smaller OTT ie Jellybean and get no slap. Any ideas on how to solve this???? thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was talking about the bill hayes taurus trio ie the OTT version that became available in august 2019. I see nothing on his site that refers to mini vs full size taurus. Hope this clears things us.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Yep. Lots of index slapping with the Mini OTT.

I tried a different release, tried changing bands and pouch set ups, tried using the lanyard and finally gave up.

Ended banding the Tube Mini in OTT way using leather plugs like here:

Gesture Wood Personal protective equipment Wrist Jewellery

Wood Needle-nose pliers Pliers Hardwood Metal

Works fine, no slapping.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
would you mind posting a picture of your setup? I only shoot tubes, but the two things that I found to stop hand slap was, shorten tubes, and or heavier ammo like DSL mentioned. Hopefully someone will have a solution to your problem.

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I also get hand slap using the Taurus OTT.

The same band set on my Torque was fine. I guess your fingers are closer to the bands with the Taurus than the Torque

Yep. Lots of index slapping with the Mini OTT.

I tried a different release, tried changing bands and pouch set ups, tried using the lanyard and finally gave up.

Ended banding the Tube Mini in OTT way using leather plugs like here:

attachicon.gif
IMG_20190911_141526_HDR.jpg

attachicon.gif
IMG_20190911_141458_HDR.jpg

Works fine, no slapping.
I really like that.

I was shooting my Taurus tube shooter today with no slap. The idea of being able to change from tubes to flats quickly and back again on any slingshot really appeals.

I can't quite tell from the picture how it works. Is it lithely a plug of leather pushed through the hole holding the band in place?

Quick edit.

Ive just had a go at this and I found just wedging the band in place with a piece of leather didn't hold no mater how hard the leather was wedged in the hole but if I cut a piece of leather square the width of the tube and wrapped the band around it one and a half times, folded it in half and slotted it into the hole it held really well. In fact the band snapped long before the leather moved.

Sports equipment Sports gear Gesture Knee Swimming pool
Cutting mat Green Azure Finger Gesture

Attachments

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I'm hoping that someone has a good remedy for the finger slaps. I shoot my OTT Taurus every day and have been working on finding a solution for 2 weeks now. I have tried various band cuts with Gen2 Precise Yellow .55mm, Precise Orange .50mm, Precise Apple Green .40mm, Sumeike Pink .45mm, TBG, AliEx Yellow bands, AlixEx Orange bands... 1/4" steel, 7mm steel, 5/16" steel and 3/8" steel ammo. I always use a small microfiber pouch but have tried small soft leather as well. I have tried different hand positions but movement is limited with the short handle. I found that it's best to keep the index finger below the throat so it's not visible at full draw. With my medium hand size this will still leave most of my pinky on the handle but the digits are cramped. I have tried leaning forks forward, leaning back and keeping them straight. I tried flipping as well.

I'm thinking the slap problem might be inherent to the design... or maybe it's just me. The wrapped index finger is positioned right at the bottom of the throat. The recoiling bands seem to hit right at the bottom of the throat or top of yoke (where index finger rests). The only remedy that I have found is to shoot with the index finger straight and pointing at target but my accuracy suffers. The other possible option is to find a band & ammo combination that is tolerable for handslaps. I found Gen2 Precise Yellow .55mm with tapers set to shoot 3/8" steel at approx 190-200fps is tolerable in warm weather. A skinny set of tapered yellows for 7mm at 220-230fps is not too bad either, although they still sometimes finger smack. I found that Precise Apple Green with 7mm steel will put a tear in your eye. The fast recoiling greens smack my finger with authority.

It's good to hear that some members have found the Mini-T pleasurable and not painful. I like the design and was hoping for a comfortable shooter. I actually bought two of the OTT versions with the thought of them being my go-to frames. One was going to be a light draw for 1/4" ammo and the other was for 5/16" at 240+ fps for long distance plinking. I like polycarb for a frame material and web contact designs are my favorite. Hopefully the problem is with something I am doing wrong that can be changed.

I enjoy shooting long distance and prefer a flat trajectory to reach 30 yards and beyond. I shoot 10 yards all winter so 20 is usually my short distance in the summer months. My many other OTT frames have allowed speeds up to 280fps with 1/4" steel without any painful slaps. I often flip with the faster bands (just happens) but slower 220-240fps are often held steady or have very little flip.

I'm still not giving up on the OTT Mini-T. Next I might try tying down some gypsy tabs with tubes. Eventually I may buy the TTF version as well. The small size, textured polycarb, narrow fork width and slick lanyard hole on this Taurus design are not something I want to give up until I have exhausted all avenues.

Attachments

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
I'm hoping that someone has a good remedy for the finger slaps. I shoot my OTT Taurus every day and have been working on finding a solution for 2 weeks now. I have tried various band cuts with Gen2 Precise Yellow .55mm, Precise Orange .50mm, Precise Apple Green .40mm, Sumeike Pink .45mm, TBG, AliEx Yellow bands, AlixEx Orange bands... 1/4" steel, 7mm steel, 5/16" steel and 3/8" steel ammo. I always use a small microfiber pouch but have tried small soft leather as well. I have tried different hand positions but movement is limited with the short handle. I found that it's best to keep the index finger below the throat so it's not visible at full draw. With my medium hand size this will still leave most of my pinky on the handle but the digits are cramped. I have tried leaning forks forward, leaning back and keeping them straight. I tried flipping as well.

I'm thinking the slap problem might be inherent to the design... or maybe it's just me. The wrapped index finger is positioned right at the bottom of the throat. The recoiling bands seem to hit right at the bottom of the throat or top of yoke (where index finger rests). The only remedy that I have found is to shoot with the index finger straight and pointing at target but my accuracy suffers. The other possible option is to find a band & ammo combination that is tolerable for handslaps. I found Gen2 Precise Yellow .55mm with tapers set to shoot 3/8" steel at approx 190-200fps is tolerable in warm weather. A skinny set of tapered yellows for 7mm at 220-230fps is not too bad either, although they still sometimes finger smack. I found that Precise Apple Green with 7mm steel will put a tear in your eye. The fast recoiling greens smack my finger with authority.

It's good to hear that some members have found the Mini-T pleasurable and not painful. I like the design and was hoping for a comfortable shooter. I actually bought two of the OTT versions with the thought of them being my go-to frames. One was going to be a light draw for 1/4" ammo and the other was for 5/16" at 240+ fps for long distance plinking. I like polycarb for a frame material and web contact designs are my favorite. Hopefully the problem is with something I am doing wrong that can be changed.

I enjoy shooting long distance and prefer a flat trajectory to reach 30 yards and beyond. I shoot 10 yards all winter so 20 is usually my short distance in the summer months. My many other OTT frames have allowed speeds up to 280fps with 1/4" steel without any painful slaps. I often flip with the faster bands (just happens) but slower 220-240fps are often held steady or have very little flip.

I'm still not giving up on the OTT Mini-T. Next I might try tying down some gypsy tabs with tubes. Eventually I may buy the TTF version as well. The small size, textured polycarb, narrow fork width and slick lanyard hole on this Taurus design are not something I want to give up until I have exhausted all avenues.
Are you using an anchor point out shooting full butterfly?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Hi M Mars,

I always anchor with my thumb on my ear. Draw length is 32". I use this anchor point with all my OTT frames. I can shoot the Lion Mouth at 220-250fps without any slaps. Same slap-free shooting with the Feihu, Chunky Peghead, Popeye, OTT Jelly Bean and some others. All these frames have low profile forks.

In an attempt to help me understand frame differences, I took a series of images of the Taurus and a couple of my peghead frames that do not give me handslaps. All the frames have low forks. The only difference that is obvious would be the pinch width. I even started wrapping the Taurus band to the top of the forks.

I'm guessing that a full or partial butterfly might eliminate the slaps because of the longer bands. Unfortunately I don't do well with that shooting style.

The bands will recoil back to the frame. I'm trying to figure out how to get them to recoil higher up and through the throat rather than smacking the top of the yoke. Possibly a shorter or longer band length would do it. For a long band I would have to pick a band that operates well with a low stretch... and for a shorter it would be a band that still has somewhat of a life expectancy with above 500% stretch.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 45 Posts