Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funds are low, Summer days are long, and I have templates stacked up to high heaven. While another piece of plywood is beyond my financial reach at the moment, I did see some bamboo cutting boards on the cheap at the local store.

I've seen many posts where aspiring builders have used said boards to make fine looking frames. There seems to be a discrepancy in the method for building though. It seems like some are just making a straight board cut and cleaning it up with sand paper and finishing oil. Others are gluing multiple layers together, or putting a 1/4" plywood core in the center.

So what is your preferred method for using bamboo? I'm thinking about making a couple PFS and banding them with single 1632 tubes, so I don't think fork strength will be an issue. Any tips for cutting (do I need masking tape to keep from splintering) or sanding? Can I use a rasp on the bamboo without difficulty? Any help from you fine slingers is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've made small shooters from bamboo cutting boards; recently, I tired a few of the credit card shooters from the template forum.

For larger ones, I made sure to laminate several layers varying grain orientation or used a plywood core.

I recommend checking out your local Michaels store; they carry small pieces of birch plywood for projects.

These pieces are actually cheaper than some of the bamboo cutting boards.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Bamboo spoons and spatulas start out pretty close to pfs shape.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,410 Posts
Funds are low, Summer days are long, and I have templates stacked up to high heaven. While another piece of plywood is beyond my financial reach at the moment, I did see some bamboo cutting boards on the cheap at the local store.

I've seen many posts where aspiring builders have used said boards to make fine looking frames. There seems to be a discrepancy in the method for building though. It seems like some are just making a straight board cut and cleaning it up with sand paper and finishing oil. Others are gluing multiple layers together, or putting a 1/4" plywood core in the center.

So what is your preferred method for using bamboo? I'm thinking about making a couple PFS and banding them with single 1632 tubes, so I don't think fork strength will be an issue. Any tips for cutting (do I need masking tape to keep from splintering) or sanding? Can I use a rasp on the bamboo without difficulty? Any help from you fine slingers is appreciated. Thanks!
@MikeyLikesIt............go to your local Lowes / Home Depot, to the flooring dept. and grab any of the FREE woven bamboo flooring samples they have,and any of the other samples that strike your fancy ( MDF and even some thin plywood samples are avail. ) and use those for frames. I have made some OPFS frames from the MDF samples, that work great............sent one to Dgui recently.

I usually buy one of their HDPE buckets with lid, and use that to carry my FREE flooring samples to the register. I have run some of the woven bamboo samples that Lowes offers through my planer, and that really is some gorgeous material once you get it all flat, and SUPER strong.

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,410 Posts
@MikeyLikesIt...............oh, one other important thing for working with bamboo........ALWAYS wear breathing protection like a respirator if you have one, or something to keep the

dust out of your lungs.

Bamboo contains Silica which it gets from the sandy soil it usually likes to grow in and around....that stuff is NO GOOD for you and your lungs.

If you have a way to cut it and sand it outdoors, maybe with a fan blowing the dust away from you, that's the safest bet................and, who knows what is added to these flooring

samples that could be bad for you..........I think @Jim Stacy mentioned something about Formaldehyde being added to them if I recall correctly.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

@MikeyLikesIt............go to your local Lowes / Home Depot, to the flooring dept. and grab any of the FREE woven bamboo flooring samples they have,and any of the other samples that strike your fancy ( MDF and even some thin plywood samples are avail. ) and use those for frames. I have made some OPFS frames from the MDF samples, that work great............sent one to Dgui recently.

I usually buy one of their HDPE buckets with lid, and use that to carry my FREE flooring samples to the register. I have run some of the woven bamboo samples that Lowes offers through my planer, and that really is some gorgeous material once you get it all flat, and SUPER strong.
That's a great tip! I live right next to a Home Depot, so I'll be sure to check it out. And I'll make sure to wear a respirator when I'm working with the stuff :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts