Slingshots Forum banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hey gunslingster,

My, my, you have read the thread!

In total, I ended up receiving 5 rolls of Sumeike 0.45.

When I then totalled up all the unused latex band samples that I had left, it was the equivalent of just over 5 rolls.

Now, target practice for me is just a hobby, and I don't do it every day, so I just had far too much latex band.

Which is why I decided to sell all my unused band samples, otherwise it was all just going to degrade and go to waste.

Now whenever I have something in my home that is not too expensive, and I can honestly admit to myself that I am

not going to use it anymore, then that motivates me to sell it on Gumtree.

I will then take that money and go to my local Tesco supermarket and buy some food products with it, Why?

Tesco has this fantastic program where they collect food products for charitable causes.

The food products then go on to help feed the homeless, the elderly and children experiencing poverty.

The idea is to just do your shopping as usual, and maybe buy a little extra food product, and then just pop those extra food

products into the charity trolley on your way out.

So my motivation for selling my unused latex band samples was exactly the same.

There was no point in just watching it degrade over time, when I can sell it to someone who is actually going to use it,

and then I can use the money to donate some much needed food.

Gumtree is not the right place for selling latex band, which is why I placed an ad on the forum, and listed them on ebay.

I also find it fun trying to create the ads on ebay too, and it gives me more selling experience as I had only ever sold 2 items

previously on ebay, which was a few years ago.

· Registered
148 Posts
That sounds like a great idea. I haven't seen it of course cos my girlfriend doesn't like me going shopping with her cos

I just get bored and it really annoys her. Suits me though (lol).

Its cool what you are doing with the money though.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
I just finished a shooting session with Sumeike Pink .45mm. The bandset had snapped once already but I still had enough to tie again, although the pouch end was about 2mm wider than I wanted. Draw weight is very mild but I was getting some fingerslaps with the Taurus so I knew I was a bit overpowered for the ammo (except the 3/8"). I could probably trim down the pouch end and maintain the speed with the lighter ammo.

Sumeike Pink .45mm (32" draw length - 460% stretch)

20mm x 14mm x 176mm

3/8" steel = 188 fps

5/16" steel = 224 fps

7mm steel = 242 fps

1/4" steel = 253 fps

PS- These bands are not maxed out. I could likely shorten to get a bit more speed but I'm interested in longevity as well. Shot count is only at 77 but I'm hoping to beat 300 before a break.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Hey gunslingster,

Well, I can use most of the money.

If you look at the for sale ad on the forum, the middle photo shows 8 band samples.

Those 8 band samples, along with SoBong Taichi 0.60 & 0.70, and Sobong Xunmeng 0.60 & 0.70 were freebies.

I used the SoBong Taichi 0.60 & 0.70 for my testing project.

As for the remaining 10 band samples, because I didn't actually use them, I feel more comfortable selling them

and then sending that money back to my band supplier.

In fact, I have already sold 3 of those band samples and have deposited the money into his paypal account.

The band sets in the right photo are no longer available because I am now also selling my catapults, and so I need

those band sets as they came with the catapults.

The products in the left photo are no longer available either, because I am now using them.

In a previous order, I exchanged some of my reward points for some gongwubuke band sets, but he didn't have them,

so he included those 3 products as a replacement, which meant that they were mine to give away freely.

As for ebay, I have listed all the band samples individually.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Hey Northerner,

Thanks for jumping in and helping with questions on here today, you too Kalevala, I always appreciate your input.

'I could probably trim down the pouch end and maintain the speed with the lighter ammo'

Yes, but trimming the pouch end of light bands often results in trimming the band life too.

My 18mm - 10mm taper is like a sweet spot for draw weight and speed, but only for 6 and 7mm ammo.

So i just accept the band life that comes with it.

I like my bands a little tighter than yours too.

I'm sure that your 20mm - 14mm taper will offer you greater longevity though, and if you can hit 300,

then that will be fantastic. But like you say, it might be a bit much for 6 & 7mm ammo.

It is about finding the overall sweet spot that is right for you.

And when you eventually do, I hope you will post it here because I will be very interested.

· Registered
2,383 Posts
That's why I shoot with a 140cm+ draw length (55"+). It solves all the speed issues, with a draw weight that a newborn could handle easily ????

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Hey SS,

My current fav is 20mm x 12mm x 195mm. Draw weight is only around 5 lb 6oz with a speed of 215fps with 5/16" steel. This band works well with 7mm too. When the band breaks it's always at the pouch so I end up with around 13-14mm width for the next set with the well used leftover.

I have a little pile of broken Sumeike Pink bands that are too short to use. All broke at the pouch and all were tied with the crystal tying string. This recent set was tied with size #3 crochet cotton with the hope of getting a bit more life (constrictor knot). The thin band is heavily stressed at the pouch but possibly the thicker soft cotton will add some life.

· Registered
148 Posts
I was looking at your ebay ads last night and noticed that you are giving away free bands with your ball bearings.

How did you decide which bands to sell and which ones to give away for free? Was it based on your test results?

· Registered
45 Posts
Hey gunslingster,

This is just me having some fun and trying to be creative,

Firstly, as you know, I bought some latex band samples.

I also mentioned somewhere on here that I also bought about a dozen or so cheap catapults from China.

Well a while ago, I bought a job lot of 6, 7, 8 & 9.5mm steel ball bearings.

I bought them because the price was right, even though I knew that I could never use them all.

I knew that I could just sell any excess later on.

This is the reason why my testing project includes the use of these particular sized ammo.

So I am selling the latex band samples, most of the catapults and the excess from the steel ball bearings.

When I create an ad on ebay, I may list something which includes 'free' latex band.

For example, I am selling 1100 x 7mm steel ball bearings with 2 'free' latex bands.

Now when the listing sells, and once all the ebay fees, paypal fees and postage costs have been deducted,

then I will be left with the exact amount of money which I paid for both the ball bearings and the latex bands.

I always sell for breakeven, I never look to make a profit.

I am simply looking to liquidate and then redirect money from something that I no longer use, into food donation.

So anything you see which includes 'free' latex band, etc, is really just priced in.

And it appears to be working.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Hey skropi,

I can't bring my self to try the full butterfly.

I always wonder what happens if you get a flyer.

I have a vision of the ball bearing hitting you in the back of your head, or on the side of your face.

And I can't get that out of my mind.

I wonder if this has actually happened to someone, or whether it is just me not fully understanding the technique of the full butterfly.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Hey Northerner,

Thanks for posting your current favourite Sumeike setup.

I know what you mean about having a little pile of broken Sumeike Pink bands that are too short to use.

Although, I bet your broken bands are still long enough to cut into my sized bands because of my shorter overall length.

I am currently using Marlow No.4 Whipping Twine for tying my pouch, I believe it is 0.8mm.

It doesn't increase my band life though.

· Registered
2,383 Posts
Hey skropi,

I can't bring my self to try the full butterfly.
I always wonder what happens if you get a flyer.
I have a vision of the ball bearing hitting you in the back of your head, or on the side of your face.
And I can't get that out of my mind.
I wonder if this has actually happened to someone, or whether it is just me not fully understanding the technique of the full butterfly.
I am mainly shooting 3/4 butterfly, and only occasionally full.
Personally, I become more and more accurate the longer I draw. It is probably due to my pouch hand alignment becoming better? I really dont know.
When you get a flyer it is the same as with a short draw, I never managed to hit my face, not even when I started shooting , so it is probably not a common occurrence.
If you feel insecure though, you will not shoot well for sure, so it would be better to use a frame you don't care about, so you could shoot without anxiety.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
Hey Northerner,

Thanks for posting your current favourite Sumeike setup.

I know what you mean about having a little pile of broken Sumeike Pink bands that are too short to use.

Although, I bet your broken bands are still long enough to cut into my sized bands because of my shorter overall length.

I am currently using Marlow No.4 Whipping Twine for tying my pouch, I believe it is 0.8mm.

It doesn't increase my band life though.
The bands that I mentioned above broke today. Shot count was only 193 with most being with 5/16" steel. Speed was 224fps and draw weight 6.75 lbs at my 32" draw length. I was hoping that the cotton string would give me a little more life from the bands but I guess short life is the trade-off for the band efficiency.

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Hey robbo,

I presume you are referencing speed / FPS.

The only way that I can help you is through my results.

Simply choose the straight or tapered band cut, and then compare the 6mm FTS for 0.45 and 0.40.

For example, if you wanted to compare 3/4 - 3/8, then 0.45 shows 280 FTS, whereas 0.40 shows 270 FTS.

So in this case ONLY, 0.45 has the edge for FPS.

You can simply compare any results you want side by side, for the band cut and ammo size that you are interested in.

· Registered
350 Posts
thanks secret stallion I have been going through your results a lot. precise mainly , it appears the .40 works better for what I want than the .45 . with more of a harder draw then the 45. as the .65 has more draw weight than the 75, for what I want. 40 for 6mm 65 for 8mm your test results are fantastic mate

Hey robbo,

I presume you are referencing speed / FPS.

The only way that I can help you is through my results.

Simply choose the straight or tapered band cut, and then compare the 6mm FTS for 0.45 and 0.40.

For example, if you wanted to compare 3/4 - 3/8, then 0.45 shows 280 FTS, whereas 0.40 shows 270 FTS.

So in this case ONLY, 0.45 has the edge for FPS.

You can simply compare any results you want side by side, for the band cut and ammo size that you are interested in.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts