Slingshots Forum banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

· Registered
2,662 Posts
I just finished testing another Pink Sumeike .45mm bandset for shot count. This set was cut 20mm x 13mm x 180mm and drawn to my usual 32" (812 mm) length. The pouch on this set was fastened with the crystal tying string. The band started to tear at shot #335 and was hanging by a thread size section at shot #342. This is an improvement from the first Pinks tested that only went 193 shots. I plan to keep track of another couple of sets to get an average.

· Registered
2,662 Posts
I broke another set of Pink Sumeike .45mm this morning. This set was a bit milder in draw weight but shot count was about the same. I used the crystal tying string and tri-fold on the bands at the pouch. Cut was 19mm x 13mm x 185mm and I shot mainly 5/16" steel ammo and a bit of 7mm. Speed was 216fps with 5/16" and 230 with 7mm. The tear at the pouch started at shot #320 and I got 11 more before the bands were hanging by a thread.

It's looking like the first shot test was not typical (193). The second and third tests were close (335 & 320).

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Hey Northerner,

This is great, A lot of people would have wrote it off after a break at 193, but I'm glad you tried it again twice.

So I believe this has given you the minimum band life range that you were looking for, as well as the maximum 1/4'' taper you wanted.

And your draw weight seems to be under control too. I am really enjoying this journey of yours.

You have shown me exactly what I need to do if I ever want to double my own band life.

So this is really valuable information for me too!

Thanks for taking the time to post your results on here, I know this will help a lot of people over the years.

· Super Moderator
2,891 Posts
I broke another set of Pink Sumeike .45mm this morning. This set was a bit milder in draw weight but shot count was about the same. I used the crystal tying string and tri-fold on the bands at the pouch. Cut was 19mm x 13mm x 185mm and I shot mainly 5/16" steel ammo and a bit of 7mm. Speed was 216fps with 5/16" and 230 with 7mm. The tear at the pouch started at shot #320 and I got 11 more before the bands were hanging by a thread.

It's looking like the first shot test was not typical (193). The second and third tests were close (335 & 320).
I just started making a Full Butterfly set with the .4 Sumike with a 75" draw using my Linville Longtom. This is an old thread, and for me so far, the .45 Sumike has been the fastest. What I'm doing is making a heavy set to shoot a 55 gram tungstun ball and I've been trying to find a formula that will allow me to convert a draw weight ratio to ammo size that I can multiply and reconfigure for an acceptable draw weight that I can handle to max out the speed of the ball. I'm just trying to see how many fpe that I can actually come up with.
I haven't been successful in finding any formulas for the equasion, so I thought that maybe you might have an idea.
Is trying the .4 Sumike over the .45 Sumike a bad idea? This will be a first with the .4 to me... have you used it?

Right now, I have used 1-1/2" x 3/4" .45 Sumike doubles for smaller ammo that pushed well over 400fps with a PP Taurus, I can't draw these back all the way as triples... I have tried... lol, but the speeds with triples were less than 30fps faster anyway after I was able to set them to that 33" standard draw length.

I have both 45 gram and 80 gram weights to try blasting with, any help will be greatly appriciated.
Thanks,
Reed

· Super Moderator
7,198 Posts
How I ever missed this huge Posting I don't know. This has to be the most comprehensive tests done on Slingshot Elastomers that I have ever seen! Secret Stallion you have done some work here Bud. This is impressive and informative. Great job!(y)

Reactions: Reed Lukens
61 - 66 of 66 Posts