Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Thoughts:

Just got my Flo Green 1636 tubes in yesterday and just started to play around with them.

Right out of the box you can tell even though the tube diameter is small, this is some tough stuff, it is very snappy and wants to come back to "Ground Zero" very quickly.

I cut my loops just over 6" long active so my elongation factor is around ~535 %. The ammo most of the time will be 1/4" steel, with some 5/16" steel thrown in.

After setting them up yesterday and pulling them back, there some resistance, a more then my single 3050, which is nice shooting and not as hard to pull back as looped 2040's. It will be interest to see how it performs and how it feels to shoot when I'm in the field. I don't want a tough pulling band set to shoot 1/4" ammo ... I'm hoping for more speed then single 3050 and single 1745's, but still not be heavy to pull back for the ammo size.

This is my first trial into 1630+ tubes, so it is a bit of an adventure. Truth be known I never thought I would be using tubes this small, and now that I have them I'm happily surprised on first glance.

Testing In The Field:

It is late afternoon and the weather is in the mid 80's. The slings have been in the cooler for the road trip so we shall see.

My first shot with the looped 1636s' is with 1/4" steel at a range of 32.5 lasered yards .... it zips through that measured old broken window on a straight line, it is seriously moving quickly. I shoot another sling with light pulling yet fast single 1745's and the looped 1636's is very noticeably faster ..... I'm very happy with that .... but it does come at a small price, and that is, just like the other bigger tubes I used, it is a bit harder to pull back, not uncomfortable, maybe about what feels like almost 2/3rds the pull weight of looped 2040's. So it takes some force, but it is no deal breaker and for me very hold-able at full draw. I then shoot a little sling that I put single 1636 tubes on, this was set up just for 177cal BB's and it really zips them out with very little pull weight. I then put a 1/4" pill in the pouch and launch that, it flew well. Almost as fast as the single 1745's, but did not have chrono with me and just went with just the way it flew. I then took some shots with the 3050 single tubes and I'm very, very happy with their performance, a very nice easy pulling single tube for 1/4" and 5/16" steel that has very good speed IMHO.

I walk around my shooting area, shooting four different sling set ups, and I'm happy with all of them ..... the easy pulling single 1745's, single 3050's, the single 1636's and the looped 1636's. The looped 1636 does have much more poop for the heavier 5/16" steel and sends them out quick, a big plus for me for light pest bird hunting. To be fair the single 3050 is really no slouch when shooting 5/16" either :)

The single 1636 tubes are very nice to shoot and a joy when you want to launch 177cal BB's at a fast easy pulling flat shooting clip. The looped 1636's are barn burning fast with 1/4" steel, and do very, very well with 5/16" steel. Actually the looped 1636 tubes are better suited for 5/16" steel as they are over powered I feel for the 1/4" I'm shooting.

My Take on these tubes for Small Ball ?

Well they all have a purpose, and one really is not better than the other, each one has an application, !

1636 Single Tube. - I think for light pulling target shooting this tube is tough to beat, has enough speed for back yard target with 1/4" steel and also sends 177 cal BB's out very, very well. A nice light tube set.

1745 Single Tube - this is a step up from the 1636 IMHO in that it is better suited for 1/4" and 5/16". Easy pulling yet has some poop. I would take this out on a nice walk with a pocket of 1/4" steel for sure.

3050 Single Tube - easy pulling and sends 1/4" and 5/16" very well. This single tube is a real winner in it is light pulling and zips the small ball ammo very well. If I was hiking and this was all I had for 1/4" and 5/16" I would be fine.

1636 Looped Tube - This is the powerhouse of the tubes sets I shot. It sends out 1/4" steel like a lightning bolt and 5/16" steel is right behind. I would not use this set up for target as it is to much pull weight, over and over pulling back ---- I would use it for a very fast shooting and extremely flat shooting small pest bird sling or a long range field sling, with either 1/4" or 5/16" steel. This is the set up I would carry when a light weight carry pest bird shooter is on my mind. This set up is a firecracker, especially at 535% elongation.

What would I would generally carry ? - It would be a single tubed 3050 !! ---- It is easy to pull back and is very, very fast with 1/4" steel and very quick with 5/16" steel. It is easy and smooth pulling and it just works. No, it is not as quick as looped 1636, but it is still very fast and quite a bit easier to pull back. Pic of the Luck Ring with 3050's I used and the Mini Cheapo with looped 1636's below that.

3050%20Mini%20Cheapo%20sm.png

MIni%20Cheapo%20Flo%20Looped%20sm.png

After a day of shooting, writing and taking pics, I'm tired ;- )

I'm out a here for now.

wll

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hoping I will be able to get out tomorrow and shoot, but I'm scheduled for a crazy day making business plans for the next two weeks. I think we are finally semi close to getting back to work. :- )

I was very impressed with the 1636 looped tubes, they sent 1/4" out at a blistering speed. I thought the 5/16" steel in these were fantastic, having great speed yet have some power (for a small ball) for stuff like Starlings. I never gave 1636 size tubes much thought, but they are not for sissy's, they can really send it. As I mentioned this looped set up is, for me, a hunting type set up. Yes I know, I would not go after any thing larger that a Starling and as far as fur, it would be a rat, and not a big sewer rat, but a regular size farm rat if ya know what I mean! I'm talking small pest only !!

The 3050 as I have said are darn good size for 5/16" and send 1/4" out super quick, but are really probably over bore for 1/4" steel ammo. For me I don't care much about hand slap as I always wear a glove. The pulling force of 3050 is just about right for me, it is pulling but it is not enough to effect my hold or accuracy, and the way I have it set up, at the end of my draw it starts to come to a stop. I have it set up over a 500% elongation factor.

Where I live there almost is no such thing as a 15 yard shot, nothing will land that close ----normally it is a 20+ yard shot, and it is safe to say 30ish yards is the norm in my neck of the woods (desert). Very, very, very rarely will a Starling land in the 20 yard vicinity and most of the time they stay close to 40 yards away.

Looking forward, like I said to going out tomorrow if possible and do some shooting. I'm loving this small ball stuff ;- )

wll

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a late start as was at work all day setting up a new part. got out there and there was a lady at the house with here car filled with stuff. I parked away from her and made my way to my shooting area.

It was very, very windy and the clouds covered the sky in a blanket of dark gray. i shot for a while using 3050's and they were flying good, but with the low light I could see the ammo fly just once in a while. after about 20 minutes I left.

It had been a long day, back at it tomorrow to finish the project and maybe I'll be able to shoot after we are finished ... we figure about 2 days of run time for 500 parts on this project.

wll

·
4,272 Posts
Go back to my shooting spot after a tough day working on this new part and the squatters looked like they were there all night, this time there were two more people, a man, woman and a dog. I go out of my way to go around them and start shooting through a broken down barn door through the inside of the barn and through a small broken widow on the other side about 25+ yards away. Did the same thing with a broken window that was to the right of it.

Man alive, I was shooting great today, my aim was true, those 1/4" steel balls were flying fast and accurate. There was a small broken side window and I was shooting through it 3 out of 5 shots. Shooting the Luck Ring with 3050's on it. When shooting through the window at another horizontal opening .. I shot went through that 2 times out of five ....AWESOME ;- )

After shooting, while writing this post the female squatter takes a picture of my car and accuses me of shooting at the two Ravens "With Rocks" that have a nest close to where I was shooting ("Rocks, ya Rocks in a small ball slingshot pouch") I tell her that Ravens are a protected bird and I was not shooting at them and I was shooting through the old barn door .... she will have no part of it. This person was seriously "Out to Lunch" ---- Wow !

After talking to this lady I realized she is very seriously mentally ill. I get in my car and leave. Needless to say, I won't return when she is around. So much for what could have been a spectacular shooting rest of the day ;- ( If she is not there tomorrow I hope to shoot the looped 1636 tubes again.

The sling I used was the Luck Ring I posted on this opening thread.

wll

·
4,272 Posts
1636 was surprisingly stout to me too when i first tried it. What i ended up doing was simply adding a little bit more to my active length. It's a very snappy tube.
Yes, 1636 is a very snappy tube indeed and it really sends 1/4" and 5/16" out like a bullet. I did not shoot it today just because I was just plinking and did not need the extra speed of looped 1636 tubes. Maybe tomorrow I'll shoot it if I go to my old shooting area, that is if the squatters are at this area I that I shot at today..

That old shooting area is a bit out in the boonies, but does have some good long range targets. It kind of scares me at 71 years young to go out there by myself in today's Antifa climate of destroy everything and beat up every one you see, yes it is scary out there ;- )

The old dilapidated house I was shooting 177 cal BB's at in March - April had 4 fire trucks, two police cars and an ambulance around it today ... my bet is a drug over dose from one of Lancaster's best living in the old empty dwelling. I might shoot there tomorrow if I don't have to fling steel over dead burnt maggot infested bodies.

You can probably tell I'm on a roll today ;- )

wll

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well the squatters were gone but they left a trail of residue and slime where ever they were ... nice !
Pics Below:
Trash%20in%20Front%20sm.png

Inside%20sm.png

ANYWAY!

I took out my Mini Cheapo with looped 1636's (bottom pic, opening post) and let 'um rip. Man alive it sure shoots those 1/4" flat, and I was shooting pretty good.

I shot about 30 minutes or so, told the Ravens they were OK and don't worry about the nut loop that was disturbing them yesterday.

Yep, those 1636 tubes are really the real deal, I'm very impressed with that size tubing for this small ammo and 5/16". Yes, it is a little on the stout side to pull but nothing super tough and worth the extra poop if you want it. Most of the time the single 3050's are the bomb and are great for me if I plan on shooting more for field shooting than for pest control, but the 3050's are not bad in that situation either.

Will probably be back tomorrow if the tweakers aren't around. and ya the fire on the olther house was a tweakers hideout according to the FD.

wll

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got to the office around 5am today and left at 4;30pm. I took off to fire a few shots as I was absolutely beat from dealing with all the stuff I have been dealing with because of the Covid situation, SBA and ****, I could go on for an hour..

Well, I shot a Mini Cheapo with single red 1745's and shot 1/4" steel as ammo. Very nice easy pulling, sending the ammo out quickly, no slow softball pitch trajectory that's for sure :- ) I shot at ranges of about 20-25 yards at old downed trees to broken fences to broken dishwashers ... you name it. The sling is below:

Mini%20Cheapo%20With%20Single%201745%20s

If I would have had more energy I would have shot my mini sling with single 1636's on it. If I get out earlier tomorrow i will do just that. Sling is below:

BB%20Flo%20Single%20sm.png

It sure is nice to fling ammo that moves out quick without pulling wrist rocket type rubber if you know what I mean. I would love to be in a wooded area and shoot small ball stuff, it would be a lot of fun ;- )

wll

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would love some more tests showing difference in speed on this setups. I pulled up my crono and tested a few setups on my slings. 1632 single, 1632 double, 2040 single, 2040 single half butterfly and my fav green chinese precut green flatband.
Textile Wood Electrical wiring Creative arts Circuit component

There was little diff,speedwise, with 2 exceptions. In general i got 78m/s-80mm/s on my 31" draw with 9-10mm clay. The half butterfly gave me 70m/s and the green flatband allmost 100m/s. I been fidling with tubes for a while but testing my flatband again was like omg. ????
/uba

Attachments

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would love some more tests showing difference in speed on this setups. I pulled up my crono and tested a few setups on my slings. 1632 single, 1632 double, 2040 single, 2040 single half butterfly and my fav green chinese precut green flatband.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20200607_095826.jpg
There was little diff,speedwise, with 2 exceptions. In general i got 78m/s-80mm/s on my 31" draw with 9-10mm clay. The half butterfly gave me 70m/s and the green flatband allmost 100m/s. I been fidling with tubes for a while but testing my flatband again was like omg.
/uba
Ya, Flat-bands really are really the cats meow in the speed department.

wll

·
Registered
350 Posts
with these new types of flat band being superior to theraband,and double theraband blue being a touch over .60. all things being equal ,would you replace it with .60 or .65 precise 3rd gen, or since its superior could you go with .50 maybe and have the same power but less weight.mainly for butterfly draw.

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
with these new types of flat band being superior to theraband,and double theraband blue being a touch over .60. all things being equal ,would you replace it with .60 or .65 precise 3rd gen, or since its superior could you go with .50 maybe and have the same power but less weight.mainly for butterfly draw.
You are throwing out a tough question for me because I'm basically a "tube" shooter but slowly getting into flats. The Simple Shot Black 22mm x18mm x .7mm are very, very quick and I will probably be buying much more of those.

The are made for 3/8" but I cut them down about 2 1/2 inches+ so I can get a 6.25" - 6.50" active by the time I attach to the pouch and attach to the fork. For me they are awesome for 1/4-5/16 steel and work good for 3/8 steel by the time I cut them down.

The mere thought of me going through all the work of cutting the bands and having to have mats and plastic cutting forms absolutes nauseates me .... to me that is not fun. For me it is a PITA enough just cutting tubes, tying on pouches and the rest of the ^%$#$*% that you have to do to shoot.

It is time for the flat shooters out there to chime in and help Robbo as I'm out of my element here and don't want to give any info out that is not to the best of what I know.

wll

·
Registered
350 Posts
i understand wll, i found it tedious at first but boredom and the need for speed,the only thing i can tell you about tubes is in 2015 test. 1745 single strand 6 inch active 30 inch draw 1/4 steel. with a 1.6 gram pouch 238fps. the same for 8mm steel 217fps switching to a 0.5 pouch increase speed of 10 percent .1745 outperformed 1842 and 2040,with the 8mm steel. looped or doubles 1745 was one fps slower.double 1842 did get 5fps more with 8mm steel.do you think 1636 or 1632 would out perform the single strand 1745 for 6 and 8mm steel that would be good to no.

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of my missions if it was not so cold and windy was to test just that.

I have a small sling with 1636 on it and I have a sling with single 1745 and one with singe 3050 and was waiting to shoot them with 1/4" and 5/15" steel to report on it. I would then shoot looped 1636 to see the difference. I would probably test these with 3/8" steel also.

I really do want to see how single 1636 does with 1/4" steel and 177 cal BB's especially. The 177 cal BB's are Soooooo cheap, you can shoot about 175 shots for less than .25c, you can't beat that !! In addition, these tiny spheres are not for sissy's ... they get up and boogie, they fly fast as heck when I was shooting them with single 1745 tubes and I REALLY want to see the speed with single 1636's to see if I can live with the speed from these tubes ?

Right now I'm shooting a lot of single red 1745' with 1/4" and sometimes with 5/16", it shoots both well but it really shoots the 1/4" fast and flat, very usable by my standards.. The single 3050 really zips them too and is a very good single tube for 1/4" and 5/16". I might add I shoot these as if the end of the world may come tomorrow so my elongation factor is around 520-535% (depending on my cut). ~ +- 6.20" active and a 32.5" draw ! I pull till the wall, no further. Doing this, the ammo fly's as if it is on a jet stream cloud. Many folks also use the single 1632's for 177 cal BB's and love them, being they are supposed to be very light pulling yet very fast little tubes.

If you have not shot BB's, you will be very pleasantly surprised. Not only because they are cheap and use easy pulling elastic but because your form needs to be perfect and shooting these little guys will improve your accuracy ... Trust me !! Pic of my small sling with single 1636 on it below:

BB%20Flo%20Single%20sm.png

wll

·
Registered
350 Posts
the problem in Australia is getting the .177 bb. wll you used to be able to buy them any hardware store but not now our gun laws are on the other extreme end of the scale compared to the USA. i think a box of 500 goes for about 7usd, and a 1000 6mm steel balls very close 1/4.goes for 14USD. 8mm is the best allrounder i have settled on 1000 for 22USD best deal i can get on bigger ammo is 500 11mm steel balls,for USD 17.50 what do you roughly pay for 1/4 ammo wll.

·
4,272 Posts
1/4" cost me about $34.91 X 9% tax for 5000 or .0076 per ball. If I buy from another supplier they are .00725ish per ball. I usually buy from the more expensive seller (BC Bearing) just because of the way they are packaged.

Those prices are from Amazon.

My bearing guy a while back sold me 3/8" for the price of the 1/4" I'm buying now ... the price of steel is going up. My suppliers price now on 3/8" is quite a bit higher then his last shipment. I bought huge quantities to get that price a while ago, but now those days are over I do believe. Not sure if the Covid -19 thing is to blame or not ?

wll.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Im gonna jump on this BB train. But i found 2 types. Steel 0.35gr and lead 0.56gr. What would you recomend. Steel cheaper if i buy bulk (5000) led comes only in 500 boxes but are cheaper compared to 500 Steel box.
/uba

·
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im gonna jump on this BB train. But i found 2 types. Steel 0.35gr and lead 0.56gr. What would you recomend. Steel cheaper if i buy bulk (5000) led comes only in 500 boxes but are cheaper compared to 500 Steel box.
/uba
Steel BB's weigh 5.1grains how much do lead weigh ?

wll

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.