Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
One of my favorite things to do is check the custom slingshot section. Every single day I am amazed at what you guys come up with, that's why I am very excited to be finally be able share, and give thanks to every single member who has contributed to this section.

So first a couple facts.
Frame; T-6 aluminum powder coated.
Handle; birds eye maple 20+ coats of hand rubbed gloss poly , with oil impregnated bronze sleeve bearings, and 3/8" shoulder bolt.

Originally I had made this aluminum handle, but I was unhappy with the overall weight of the slingshot so I remade another from wood.

To try and keep the frame as clean looking as possible, I put treads in the frame instead of running the bolt straight threw(if I strip them out I will have to), and worked a hand relief out of the right side of the frame instead of building up the handle.

Overall I'm very happy with the results, it has a good weight to it, it's very comfortable, and I feel like a Badass holding it.
There is one problem with this design, I made my forks so I would get the recommended 1" of clearance from the grip which put them at a space of 3 3/8", at this distance the self centering at full draw doesn't work, I would have had to make the forks a lot wider to get a good rotating performance, making the need for self centering moot, so if you are thinking about making on of these I would recommended not wasting your time and money on bearings, and make the handle fixed.

Once again thank you all for what I have learned so far, and keep posting those customs, I can't wait to see more!

HAPPY VETERANS DAY!

Attachments

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Cool!!! Nice Job!!!

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
It works with a horse shoe also. -- Tex-Shooter

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works with a horse shoe also. -- Tex-Shooter
I never thought of that. I looked up some, and there are a few made for throwing at already have pretty decent fork tips on them, the only problem is that they weigh 2 1/2 pounds before you even put a grip on it. for me that's just to heavy, mine is just under 1 pound. Im sure real shoes are lighter but also a lot smaller and then there is the tip to deal with.

Have you made any? I would love to see them.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Good job!

I in fact did widen the entire ring as there wasn't enough room for my big hand otherwise, and I stabilized the ring at its weekest spot (where the handle is attached) with a bit of steel.

The self centering is a nice idea, but I gave it up and just use wider forks now. It simply isn't worth the efforts.

Jörg

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you guys for your feed back.

After a few shooting sessions I gotta say I love it. Going by Joerg's band specs I thought I was going to have a hard time holding It steady at full draw, but it's controllable.

I'm going to wait a while before I decide if I want to lock the grip to the frame and just get rid of the centering.
Now I have to build a new shot trap, these band are ripping 4 sheets of nylon stapled to the top down and punching threw 5 layers of cardboard like paper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.