Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are two of the last Shooting Star classics that I made. They were made in 2016 out of a Yew board that I picked up. Yew is a relativity soft hard wood, but quite durable. It's dust is also toxic. When I shoot a wood flip today it is still my own Shooting Star classic. I love this frame and have made hundreds of them through the years with a few very small modifications.

Blue Wood Tool Font Metal

Attachments

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,453 Posts
I have seen some YouTube vids where Josh ( jdsharpshooter ) made some like this, but heated his rod with a

propane torch before bending.........does heating the Aluminum rod mess up it's integrity or strength I wonder ?

Which is better, hot bend / cold bend.................... :hmm: :iono:

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen some YouTube vids where Josh ( jdsharpshooter ) made some like this, but heated his rod with a

propane torch before bending.........does heating the Aluminum rod mess up it's integrity or strength I wonder ?

I only heat the 1018 steel and then only for tight bends. I have never heated the aluminum except when welding!

Reactions: MakoPat and M Mars

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts

Any experience I've ever had bending aluminum (usually trying to bend it back straight after the part was damaged)
Heating typically causes it to basically crumble. Best like Tex said... just bend it real slow.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Beautiful.

I have some yew coming to me. I have a respirator to wear.

But hearing you say it is fun to work, Tex, makes me feel much better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts