Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2005 Nell and I started shooting exhibitions. I we let the public get involved and soon found found out you don't let them shoot your prized wood slingshots! So I made up 7 of these for the public to shoot at our exhibitions. This is the only one that I have left and I keep it for my collection to bring back found memories of these events.

Wood Bicycle handlebar Gun barrel Air gun Trigger
Composite material Gas Tool Metal Nickel

Attachments

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A buddy of mine welded them with a MIG!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the forks were at a steeper angle, it would have the same profile as a Saunders Wrist Rocket Pro.

Great mod!
You could not bend these old ones they were not only hardened, but also chrome plated, which made then pretty brittle, but strong. I don't know about the new P51's, but they are not chrome plated so they may not be as hard either! I never worried about welds that the man that welded mine did. One of my friends also had a plasma welder.

Reactions: Tag and Blue Raja

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tex, thanks for sharing. I'm 76 and a welder. I tig weld and I'd stack my life on my welds. No way are they gonna let go. I make some rockets similar to yours and the ant. Great stuff . Are you old enough to remember shooting red car inner tubes. At that time use kids would give almost anything for a red rubber car inner tube.. Way better than the black ones.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tex, thanks for sharing. I'm 76 and a welder. I tig weld and I'd stack my life on my welds. No way are they gonna let go. I make some rockets similar to yours and the ant. Great stuff . Are you old enough to remember shooting red car inner tubes. At that time use kids would give almost anything for a red rubber car inner tube.. Way better than the black ones.
I am 82 ( be 83 next month) and yes I do remember, I started making slingshots inter tubes when I was about 7. You can still buy the red rubber that was used in inter tubes, it is called Linatex. It used to be made in Texas but the company sold to a German firm. The Rubber is still good, but the Tolerances are horrible. It is used to line surrey tanks now days!

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
There are many slingshots far more dangerous than one that is properly welded. If you want one of the safest slingshots around, I would recommend a Saunders, if the tip breaks on one of there's all you get back is the bands everything else just pops apart. I suppose that a weld might break if not properly welded, but I have never saw that happen. Of course you want someone that is a very good welder to to do your welding for you and then I would advise that the weld be tested. I don,t do my own welding just because i am not a good welder, but I know two suburb welders and welding does not cost that much. Oh yes, I have shot the same welded slingshot since 2002.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Here's a great mod for the versions of this that have ammo dispensers built into the hollow handle.

Those dispense 10 balls of .50", and come with steel ammo. But if you remove the existing dispenser, they can handle 9 balls up to .68 caliber. (You can actually fit up to .75 cal, but you need some clearance for a new dispenser.)

I've designed a push-button system that dispenses .68cal lead. Reason? .68cal lead balls weigh almost 7 times as much as .50 steel. MUCH more significant impact..... and at short range (under 6 meters) the falloff is not drastic enough to render it inaccurate. It dispenses only one ball at a time; there is no possibility of all the balls running out.

The key is in creating the correct 'path' for the ammo. Dunno if I can post pics yet, but will try later when the final part is done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts