Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most on the list do not know that my wife Jan and I lost our son to a life-long illness in January. Christopher was 29 when he passed which seems young except that he lived in an ICU unit in our home with intensive care RN nursing care 24 hours a day for his whole life. He actually lived fifteen years longer than anyone else has with his condition and twenty-five years longer than he was expected to live.

So, that means everything I've done with slingshots or written about them was done during his lifetime. In fact slingshots were something we shared. I spent untold hours with Christopher cutting bands with my portable band making kit, attaching them and then shooting from his door to a chronograph outside to check efficiency. Or, I'd sew ball pouches, wetting heating and shaping them until he decided they were okay. He always wanted to see the slingshots I had made or purchased etc. or, when I'd teach slingshot classes he wanted to hear every detail. He couldn't do anything himself (he was completely paralyzed from the chin down - unable to even breathe) so he lived vicariously through me and slingshots were a big part of our relationship.

I say all the above in order to segue into thanking the Moderators through the years for maintaining such a solid forum. It can't be by accident that the forum is so decent and without rancor or bullying. The forum has been for me a place where I can escape for a little while, see the creativity of others, maybe proffer an opinion (or two) and share a common interest with other interested people. In a real sense the forum has been a sort of sanctuary for me. This was particularly apparent to me during the last 4 months of Christopher's life. Just having a place to go, even for a few minutes, was so very valuable to me.

Thank you to all the Moderators who have shaped and developed the slingshot forum into the possitive and expressive forum that it is.

Winnie

·
Super Moderator
6,750 Posts
Winnie,

So sorry for your loss. Having your son with you those extra years is a priceless gift from above. I hope that lesssens the pain of his loss. Thank you for your kind words about the forum. Some wonderful people on here. Prayers for you and your family.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Little blessings frequently come from the least expected places. While you mourn the loss, remember the good times the two of you had together. I will be praying for you and your family.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
I agree, Winnie. This forum is full of great folks who have helped me through many a dark place. You and yours are in my prayers and I wish you peace and prosperity, happy shooting and God Bless.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Winnie, I am happy to have had the members of this forum in my life for even a short while. People like you are what make this such a great community. I am sorry for your loss, and glad you were able to share the joys of the sport with your son. I'll be keeping you all in my prayers.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts