Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the reason for the adds on here but its getting a little ridiculous, i mean i don't want to have a one night stand with a god offal looking 60 year old or need to know that some chick is 3.5 miles away from me looking for a good time, i know where to purchase my furniture already, cant stand face book or what ever else comes up on here. Well sorry guys it been bugging me for a while now and I saw this new topic and thought I would share a few thoughts and rant and rave, i hope no one takes offense if you do im sorry and just let me know, but just needed to get my opinion out there!!

Reactions: harson and fatboy

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Sorry about the Ads, but they are what keeps this site up and running. Many people seem to think that running a site like this is free. It costs real money to run a site with the quality software, and gets as much traffic as this one does.

I have to pay for:
--Multiple software packages that to provide the various sections to the site (each with 6 or 12 month support renewals)
--The plugins that that give cool features to the site (most of which have 6 or 12 month renewals)
--A multi-CPU high-performance dedicated server to handle the traffic load (that has a monthly lease)
--A cloud based Content Delivery Network to ensure that our users, no matter where they live, have a good browsing experience (that charges for every byte that gets downloaded)
--A low latency HTTP service software package to improve the browsing experience of everyone on the site. (that has a monthly per-CPU licensing fee.

All of this to provide the best forum experience that I can deliver. Heck, I just spent $100 yesterday for software to help me Administer the site better. Most forums charge huge fees for Vendors, so they have fewer ads. One I know of charges $400 per month for Vendorship. I only charge $25 because I know our vendors cannot afford much more selling slingshots(meanwhile some people actually go out of their way to circumvent paying these fees that would both help the site and their business). Without the Ads to pay the bills, this site wouldn't be here.

As an FYI, I actually just changed the ad structure so the large 300x250 ads do not appear at the top any more. As Hrawk stated, Site Sponsors do not see ads. Heck, just one discounted purchase from a vendor that gives Site Sponsor Discounts would pay for it.

PS, I thought I had figured out how to prevent Google from showing Dating/Sex related ads. I will see if there is something else I can do to prevent it.

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Yeah the sponsor discounts are awesome. I picked up a Bunnybuster around Xmas time for considerably less than the normal price. Looking at a Flippinout next and the 10% discount is great.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome to know guys thanks!

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
What's the ratio of public radio to sponsors? I get the same satisfaction out of the product

·
HOBBYIST-SOPHOMORIC-JACKA$$
8,259 Posts
the one thing that does bug me is the ad in the right corner of the opening post of each thread . ive already seen how it affects a post where a pic is added . i understand the ads and what your trying to do to keep the site going .

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Russian Brides? I could look at them all day.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok guys I'm convinced gonna become a sponsor not just to get rid of these adds but I want to contribute to this site because I have learned a great deal of knowledge in here and not to mention the generosity of all the people on here, thank-you to all of you who were generous enough to setup trades with me and to those that I have yet to trade with and a big shout out to Hrawk who sent me my first slingshot ever! I just have one question about the sponsorship, does the dues for example 10.00 dollar sponsorship, come out automatically from the account on file or will I be notified for the renewal? Thanks everyone for responding!

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Great! Thanks for your help!

Until earlier today, it was an automatic yearly payment via a PayPal subscription. A couple people mentioned that they would rather pay it on their own, so it no longer auto-renews.

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well its official im a sponsor now!!!!

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any time happy to be part of the family

1 - 19 of 19 Posts