Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Mainly an OTT and PFS Shooter
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see these lovely slingshots floating around on e-commerce sites in the Philippines. They are called "flying tiger" slingshots. They are generally rounded, curvilinear slingshots, usually with round fork tips. They are commonly made of a highly polished wood, or resin.

Can anyone chime in on their origin or history? They appear to be a common style in China. Why are they called tigers?

I am especially fond of the "fat flying tiger" variant. They are similar to the regular flying tiger, but smaller, chunkier, rounder, with a shorter fork. They are just so darned adorable. Like deadly little jelly beans.

Wood Sculpture Art Statue Metal
Hand Ruler Human body Wood Gesture

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Feihu frames were named after a Chinese shooter named Deng Feihu. He's kinda a legend. I'm not sure if that's his real name or a moniker. The style of frames that he shot became popular and known as Feihu frames. "Fei Hu" translates to flying tiger. I would consider this style of frame a classic.

They really took off in 2018 when a Chinese shooter took the world championship shooting a Feihu frame and light sumeike bands. That prompted a lot of us to experiment with that set-up then.

We can also just call them pegheads really but in my mind what makes a Feihu a Feihu is not just the peghead tips but also a characteristic gentle recurve shape of the frame. And this is just my personal view of how I categorise and distinguish something as Feihu - not something everyone would agree with. Many variants are available...fat ones, small ones, tiny ones etc... Even square pegged feihu frames.

And to address your question, pegheads have probably always existed. Anyone that builds nattys invariably ends up with a form of peghead at some point I think? There are also other peghead frame builders such as pawpawsailor's sweet midget pegheads (I'd love to have one of those). Lewis Pride makes the "Shaolin" which should be available on proshotuk - I don't consider that a Feihu although I would say it is Feihu inspired...The particular form of pegheads we call Feihu has it distinguishing characteristics and is indeed of Chinese origin due to its origin story.

Just enjoy shooting them in good health!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feihu frames were named after a Chinese shooter named Deng Feihu. He's kinda a legend. I'm not sure if that's his real name or a moniker. The style of frames that he shot became popular and known as Feihu frames. "Fei Hu" translates to flying tiger. I would consider this style of frame a classic.

They really took off in 2018 when a Chinese shooter took the world championship shooting a Feihu frame and light sumeike bands. That prompted a lot of us to experiment with that set-up then.

We can also just call them pegheads really but in my mind what makes a Feihu a Feihu is not just the peghead tips but also a characteristic gentle recurve shape of the frame. And this is just my personal view of how I categorise and distinguish something as Feihu - not something everyone would agree with. Many variants are available...fat ones, small ones, tiny ones etc... Even square pegged feihu frames.

And to address your question, pegheads have probably always existed. Anyone that builds nattys invariably ends up with a form of peghead at some point I think? There are also other peghead frame builders such as pawpawsailor's sweet midget pegheads (I'd love to have one of those). Lewis Pride makes the "Shaolin" which should be available on proshotuk - I don't consider that a Feihu although I would say it is Feihu inspired...The particular form of pegheads we call Feihu has it distinguishing characteristics and is indeed of Chinese origin due to its origin story.

Just enjoy shooting them in good health!
Wow! Thank you so much for this information. I am really happy someone knowledgeable on the subject chimed in. Now, I must read up more on work of Mr. Deng Feihu. Quite the legacy to be the name behind such a seemingly popular slingshot style.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's pretty cool!! i have a tendency to give my sling horrible names... need to balance out all the "god slayers" and "angel feathers" and such, so far (roughly translated to english), i have the "Pillow biter", the "Trouser sucker", the "Crimson wave", the "Kool aid", which in spanish is a variation of Culero (a**hole") and the "Bootyful"

i got 2 more slings in the making, would appreciate name suggestions... kinda running low on ideas

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
That's pretty cool!! i have a tendency to give my sling horrible names... need to balance out all the "god slayers" and "angel feathers" and such, so far (roughly translated to english), i have the "Pillow biter", the "Trouser sucker", the "Crimson wave", the "Kool aid", which in spanish is a variation of Culero (a**hole") and the "Bootyful"

i got 2 more slings in the making, would appreciate name suggestions... kinda running low on ideas

Back when I raced triathlons we all gave our bikes "stripper" names. Mine was Brandy, and she was fantastic.

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
981 Posts
Ooohhh, can't believe it but I mis-spelled it. I rode Brandi, with an "i".
The 'i' is essential in the spelling! Now if you had just added -Lynn to the end. Brandi-Lynn, Tammi-Lynn, Lori-Lynn...

·
Super Moderator
1,850 Posts
Not Lynn... lol
Jo
Mikey-Jo, Brandy-Jo, Patty-Jo, lol-Jo
😀
Yeah, there was no end to the "riding" jokes back in those days. But it did help pass the miles when you were on the bike for hours at a time. I actually had "Brandi" painted on the top tube. Another guy named his bike Farah and had a really good airbrush of a Farah Fawcet swimsuit pick put on the frame. Hard to believe the silly things from back in the day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got one! I finally got one of the fat Feihu slingshots. I can't get over how adorable the fat flying tiger shape is. Cute as a jelly bean, but shoots like a sniper.

I can't put my finger on it, but I think the combination of the ergonomics and the peg heads really helps with my accuracy. The rounded shape fits in the hand unbelievable well.

Gesture Finger Wood Thumb Art

Hand Gesture Finger Thumb Wood

Gesture Finger Thumb Nail Wrist

Gesture Thumb Wood Nail Wrist

Hand Food Finger Gesture Thumb

Bicycle part Tool Composite material Metal Font

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
I got one! I finally got one of the fat Feihu slingshots. I can't get over how adorable the fat flying tiger shape is. Cute as a jelly bean, but shoots like a sniper.

I can't put my finger on it, but I think the combination of the ergonomics and the peg heads really helps with my accuracy. The rounded shape fits in the hand unbelievable well.

View attachment 354561
View attachment 354562
View attachment 354563
View attachment 354564
View attachment 354565
View attachment 354566
thats the one i have it is a shooter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.