Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I revisited the sling bow today, inspired by Fish (he made a sling bow a while ago, but posted the video again here in a different thread).

I had a few tasks.

First, I wanted to eliminate all the dead play.

Second, no handslaps.

Third, a conventional bow release had to work.

Fourth, I wanted a quality arrow guide for accuracy.

So I made the "bow" 40 cm long, and the bands are a bit pretensed in unloaded mode. This way, no dead play at all!

Then, I put a Hover arrow rest (kind of a whisker buiscuit) INSIDE of the bow, right in the middle.

The bands can never touch the arrow rest (a big problem with sling bows usually).

Next, I designed the bow arms in a way that the bands are effectively stopped and can not slap on my hand.

I formed the "cable" from some paracord, with a loop for the release (otherwise the angle is so steep that the arrow falls out in full cocked position).

This shoots great! It is the best sling bow I have made so far.

Weight is 550 gramms (1,2 lbs), complete with bands.

Here is the video:

Jörg

·
"Southern Flip Style"
2,638 Posts
Marvelous my friend!!! Very interesting!!!

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
That's .... well ... funky cool !

·
Registered
606 Posts
Great job Jörg looking forward to watching the video. I will have to have a go at making one of these myself

·
Registered
685 Posts
WOWWWW
I just love it ! Cant wait for the video to see how it shoots .Is it possible to draw heavery bands with this then with a regular slingshot?( talking about force on wrist issue)
Great work

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
JoergS: I see a bandaid on your forearm, exactly where a bowstring would swipe. I'm guessing an archer's forearm guard might be helpful for shooting that thing.

Again, looks like an awesome design.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
another great design, would love to have one of those, unfortunately my skills come no where close to that kind of work..

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Jörg, I strongly admire your ability to think outside the box, ability to deliver and willingness to share your ideas. The world would be a better place if more people were like you.

On the subject of the bow, I think it'a a great idea to build a slingshot around an arrow support, but I believe there is a lot more technical potential to be extracted in the next version.

I'll just brainstorm some ideas:

The longer the bow staves, the more energy is lost - from a slingshot at least. If you can reduce that, you'll have more power. About oooooh, 24 years ago, I discovered that I could shoot a sharpened half yard of 1/4" dowel through a short length of 5/16" brass tubing using packing bands. I happily shot that until one day when I snapped the dowel and give myself a heck of a fright, but up till that point, that simple system delivered great power. The reason was the very linear band path. If you can make a slingshot wih a shorter stave, it will be faster.

Having said that the staves should be short, long staves add stability to the system. I believe that's why archers can brace the bow on the web of the hand and the palm and not grip it tightly like a slingshot. If you anchored the slingshot bands centrally, but put back longer stabilising staves and ran a guy cords to the top and bottom like like a bow string, you would achieve this same effect but for the entire duration of the shot.

The length of a bow limits its energy. With a slingshot, you can shoot bands as a long as you can draw, but arrows are designed for bows. I'm not suggesting you use atlatl darts and butterfly bands, but you might want to consider pretensioned bands. That means a fork extension. I appreciate that you may not want a wrist brace (though I'm not sure this is a slingshot any more) but pulleys can bring the centre of pivot bact to the hand and release point. The pulleys don't have to reverse bands backwards like a com-bow; they can send the bands sideways, or forwards. Forward fork extensions with a pulley would have little effect on velocity but would limit wrist wobble.

Finally, I heard that containment rests have a very long contact time and magnify errors. Do you have the budget for a drop away?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan, yes, there is more potential.

First, I will attach stronger bands to see if I can get to 200 fps with the 25 gramm arrow. That would be like a normal recurve bow, suitable to hunt deer (where legal).

The hand slap protection makes the bow kind of bulky. On the other hand, it is already a bit on the lightweight side, and I wouldn't want it to be even lighter. In fact, the grip could be a little more forward extended in order to gain more draw length. But then the "tunnel" would be longer, which may cause problems when the slingshot hands starts to move.

I am actually amazed by the shootability of this slingbow. It outperforms any other slingbow I have seen so far.

Jörg

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Sorry, I edited my post adding suggestions while you typed.

I'll add that the handslap protection is unnecessary if the band anchor points be moved very close to the arrow rest. You could even move them onto the sides.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.