Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never believed that someone can have a bad day in shooting. I simply can't accept that going through the same motions, can yield a different result from day to day.
Now, obviously, I had, and have, my fair share of bad days. Sometimes it's the bands, which is easily rectified, but sometimes it's something else, not easily explained.
In any case, I refuse to accept this fact.
Today started as a typical bad day. Flyers, random shots, frustration, etc etc. My bands were tired so I replaced them. I carefully measured the new set, to make sure everything was ok. I even sanded down my finger, which took as much time to reach healthy tissue, as if I sanded a frame.
The result? Mediocre to really bad. I have many bad aspects, I admit, but one of them, my never ending persistence, turned out as an advantage.
I decided to shoot like the way I described in the kyudo thread, as I was becoming complacent lately, due to my improvement, and.......YES! Hit after hit after after hit! I seriously expected nothing out of it, but voila, the whole "bad" day issue, was simply terrible technique.
What happens is this. When we reach a certain point, and we are no longer complete amateurs, but serious amateurs, like me, and above, we can sometimes disregard certain technique issues, because we can hit the target even when all is bad. Then, when our consistency suffers, we just think that it's a bad day, as we still hit, just not often as usual.
Maybe it's different for others, I can't really say, but there is a recipe to regain our consistency, and it's simply what we always strived for anyway.....good and consistent technique....

Ps* It's the first time in 5 months that I actually have feeling in my index finger...guys....it's weird ????

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally agree that taking a break to recalibrate is necessary! I just take shorter breaks! ☺

Reactions: sailorruss

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@sailorruss
I never get up in the wrong side of the bed ????
Seriously now, till now, everytime I had a bad day, I managed to turn it to a good day, through arduous contemplation, and by just being patient! This is considering accuracy, because if I feel a bit down, there's no cure for that, but I keep on shooting no matter what!
Oh, I did play music too, till I found out slingshooting....then all other hobbies got erased for good ????

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good advice Bill! I was having a nightmarish session today, and only when I did what you said, when I went through the motions in a deliberate way, did I find my center. What ms weird is that after I found my center, no more did I have to be deliberate about it, I just shot well without further thought. That means that most of it is simply psychological.
What I have no experience with is crowd anxiety. I mean, I've shot in front of some friends, or my uncle, who has top accuracy to boot, and I was not having a hard time, but I imagine that shooting in front of more people, or competing.....well, probably that needs a ton of experience to manage to shoot well!
If I manage to ever come in the US for a competition, I don't care how I'll shoot though, it'll be enough to experience the event and meet up with all of you guys! (yeah, my aim will be to win the event of course , but I am not admitting it publicly ????)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.