Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Torso exactly perpendicular to the target, feet shoulder wide, toes pointing ahead, forming a 90° to the target line. Said target line extends between my ankles and toes. Knees straight, hips completely beneath my shoulders. Hips are also "tight", like squeezing the buttocks, helping in stability and keeping the spine in the correct position. Chest comes inside, shoulders as low as possible, and the whole torso has slight angle forwards, putting the weight of my body between heel and toe.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Do you bend your knees when you shoot?

Do you "assume an athletic stance" or are you "casual-tall?"

I've found that a little more width and a touch more crouch, makes me steadier.

Still experimenting... :)
By the way, the "crouch" you mentioned, is beneficial, shoulders a bit hunched, pushing the chest inside. The main benefit isnt only stability, but correct spine alignment. Your experiments have definitely a good direction ????

·
Registered
155 Posts
I never even thought about this. I thought it was natural to just stand up tall and straight.

If I had to bend my knees slightly when I shoot, then if my target shooting was a little off, then I would be wondering whether my knees were not bent enough or maybe too much.

I try to eliminate things that I may not be able to replicate exactly.

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
I’ve always shot instinctively so just as Shooting a traditional bow, knees slightly bent with a forward lean pushing the bow hand towards the target tilting the head to get down close to the arrow. Just something I’ve always done. After all these years it would be a hard habit to break

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I've always shot instinctively so just as Shooting a traditional bow, knees slightly bent with a forward lean pushing the bow hand towards the target tilting the head to get down close to the arrow. Just something I've always done. After all these years it would be a hard habit to break
If it is an old habit, totally ingrained, then if you broke it you would probably lose accuracy. Sometimes accepting a certain part of our technique, contrary to "common" sense, is actually more beneficial!

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I get the archery analogy, but it really never worked for me. No bow, no string, no arrow, no sight-radius, and totally different hand and finger positions. There are finer parallels to be found in other activities that require you to stand sideways to the target- while keeping your head still, imho.

I'm not talking about going into a full squat. I mean a half inch wider and a quarter inch bend in the knees. Just that much makes the large muscles in my legs engage, allowing my upper body to relax. It seems to enhance my feel. Different strokes I guess...

·
Registered
117 Posts
I actually had to run out and check my stance for this one. I have always just shot how I shoot I guess. I just do what feels right. Turns out, I don’t square up. I hold my slingshot in my left hand. I float my right/band hand. I have my left foot forward, my right foot back. I kind of just twist my body. And I tend to be on the tip of my toe for my back foot while shooting. I’ll have to look into this more. I’m a decent shot but I’m nothing to brag about. Maybe changing my foot work will help draw my shooting cluster in a little tighter. Whatever helps.

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
I've always shot instinctively so just as Shooting a traditional bow, knees slightly bent with a forward lean pushing the bow hand towards the target tilting the head to get down close to the arrow. Just something I've always done. After all these years it would be a hard habit to break
I have just recently put a lot attention/focus on this. I find that when I am missing...I have tensed up and standing too tall...I breathe & sink a bit.

Bam! back on target.
But I have become more casual in my stances to adjust them to my limites range of motion...in shooting, standing, walking, and even my kata/forms in Shotokan (a very formal/exaggerated stance). My Shidoshi has appoved and calls it "old man learning"...which is a huge compliment...I think...

PS-never play poker with the Old Men.

·
Premium Member
3,230 Posts
I get the archery analogy, but it really never worked for me. No bow, no string, no arrow, no sight-radius, and totally different hand and finger positions. There are finer parallels to be found in other activities that require you to stand sideways to the target- while keeping your head still, imho.

I'm not talking about going into a full squat. I mean a half inch wider and a quarter inch bend in the knees. Just that much makes the large muscles in my legs engage, allowing my upper body to relax. It seems to enhance my feel. Different strokes I guess...
Something more like this, both eyes open and totally instinctive (looking only at the target, pull, and let fly).

·
aka CYBORG
1,997 Posts
Casual tall works for me. Left hand hold, feet 90 degrees sideways to the target, full breath to relax shoulders and mind, raise up to draw, aim, and release. Any mental chatter leads to analysis paralysis, so I abort, bring it down and start over.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts