Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I told you I was slingshot crazy, I wasn't kidding. I took a little more time on Sunday to craft yet another natural from a similar wood to that of "Natural on Cloud 9"......yet still a mystery. This one is inspired by Flippinout's recent oak natural with the thumb placement crater grip.

I spent a little more time on this one than the last natural refining it with a bit more ergonomic carvings. This time instead of a pinch grip style, I went the rout of high finger supported with a thumb placement locater notch. This crater ensure that my thumb and forefinger on the notch get the same hold on the sling every time. I have taken a liking to this style and I have to say this is my first step into changing my shooting style. Yes, I'm having a mid-career crisis as I am switching shooting hands. I have recently found out I am left eye dominant and I'm right handed as well so it was practical for me to take steps towards making that switch before it is too late. Might as well, because I will hopefully be better off in the long run.

To me it seems to be quite similar to the cloud 9 natural here: http://slingshotforu...lly-on-cloud-9/
Yet, this one is a bit larger and seems to have more character and rich golden coloration.

So here it is, with 4 thin coats of linseed oil, waiting for me to decide on its bandset....which I'll update you with later tomorrow.

The beginning: this thing was ugly underneath

Extreme Makeover:

And here it has risen to the skies(snowbank) to join its relative....

And a few more pictures:
http://i1115.photobu...e_/CIMG0375.jpg

http://i1115.photobu...e_/CIMG0370.jpg

I'm happy with it, now it's time to hear what you think.....

Take Care - John

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
It has the charm of a JMP'Style lol! and there are forks that inspire you the respect to not change much the face.

And he appreciates very comfortable, my friend

·
Tex-shooter
4,461 Posts
Great shooter John! -- Tex

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
That is a nice fork, and it looks real comfy too because of your clever personalization. Good luck with it. I'd slap some of Tex's flats on that. But I know you're into the chains, so that's what I expect we'll see after all, right?

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
Another fine effort Bane. I really like the idea of using the cutouts to ensure you are gripping in the same place every time; I may have to try that myself one of these days.

I know it's serious as it looks like it broke that sidewalk ice simply by resting on top of it.......

I also like the knots and the healed crack in the wood......nothing can have the character of a natural. There are others out there with possibly better ergonomics, better materials, cooler colours, lighter weight, ect, but nothing looks like a sanded-down knot with it's complexities of grain and colours. And you don't get to get out and about, hunting that perfect fork. You know, I think I can remember when you cut that one and posted it a while back.

PM me your address again and I will send you a set of 32/444 made from proper and quality red clays. I think they are my lifetime elastic and I'm really happy using them.

That's a good one and I wish you all the best with it and all your future projects as well.

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone once again for the great feedback.

@ Chepo yes I have developed a style with a little resemblance to Jmp, hence the rounded pommel and keeping the overall natural shape.

@ Ray, I just take a little bit of time with my trusty round file and go around the forks filing away doing my best to keep them straight and even all by the eye. It works well and doesn't take long at all.

@ DH, thanks it is extremely comfortable I will try and use it in my attempts to convert to right handed shooting, no easy task I tell you I went 0 for 10 on my coffee can at 10m this way with another slingshot
.....starting to think if it ain't broken don't fix it! I'd love slap some Tex latex on it as well, but I don't have any, and it isn't worth it for me to buy bands yet as I won't be shooting much at all until spring. You would think I would go with chains on it as usual....but I put Chinese tubes on my last one, and .....I may have some tubes that tend to last forever laying around that I received a while back somehow.

Cheers - John

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ Jmp, please give it a go, I fully endorse its effectiveness if done correctly. I love me a nice simple natural fork, but sometimes it brings great enjoyment to a carver to craft something that fits like a glove.
O Yes, on contact the glass shattered and the snow blew to the side, this fork has a swagger about it that makes other parts of mother nature crumble in its presence. :rolling:I too have seen many others that seem to be more aesthetically appealing in regards to grain and colors, yet this one still has a good look to it, thanks to the knots and various "wounds". I had a collection of about 25 forks sitting in my garage, that supply has dwindled steadily and I am running low, this can only mean one thing though.....now I have to get back out there and bear the cold and wind gusts to harvest some more, I would love to have a crack at some game while I'm at it, but they don't dare get out and about in this weather. You have probably remembered correctly, it wasn't all that long ago that I posted that one as I'm still green when it comes to slingshots.

@ Midnite ....Yeah I'm in the club now but not sure if it will last. I am so awkward loading and drawing with the left that I'm not sure it is practical to switch. On the other side everyhting seems so smooth and in sync and I've had success that way so might as well stick with it. I'll give right handed a go for a while though.

@Flip, Thanks, and you're right about the consistent placement on the fork, it works real well. I have to say I know others have done it, but your oak natural with the thumb crater really got me thinking and considering it...

Update coming soon everyone, hopefully with bands and thoughts on performance......

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
oh i like that one a bit better than the other, just a bit of curve to the whole thing and a bit more character, but both are great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.