Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did this one yesterday, a little before work and the rest after work. Not sure if I like it or not, but it is a HEAVY DUTY slingshot. Not sure how to go with finishing it yet either, but here it is so far:

Attachments

Reactions: kasperthelost

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Dang that's one heavy duty piece of steel....plain, simple and intimidating..cool

·
2,144 Posts
It's one inch square tube and one inch flat x 3/16 inch thick stock. You really can shoot it with one finger on the top fork and the thumb on the bottom fork. I just made it to have a very low fork height. I don't shoot hammer grip either.
I am thinking about just wrapping the handle with some tennis racket grip tape. I'm still thinking about that one. Maybe I will wrap it with some wood, but that seems like a lot of effort for a slingshot that will most likely end up in a display case for a conversation starter. Oh it won't be used for shooting arrows for the time being anyway.

·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the help everyone !

What is Gun Kote and Hammerite? Is the gunkote like using gun blue? I have used that before.

·
Premium Member
3,427 Posts
Gun-Kote is a ceramic-based coating from KG Industries ( http://www.kgcoatings.com/ ) . You sandblast it, do a phosphoric acid dip, then coat and bake. It's safer and longer lasting than a caustic hot blue. Hammerite is an industrial metal paint that goes on in one layer with no primer, leaves a resilient hammered finish, and protects from rust.

·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for an idea to check into !

·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not as yet. I am just experimenting with stuff right now. I hope to some day soon be able to offer a unique style of slingshot for sale. For now though I am just doing my homework. Retirement is not that far away and I will need a way to supplement my retirement income. I don't mind selling one from time to time though and if you would like to have this one "as is" we can haggle a bit I guess.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Brownell's sells several coatings that can be used on anything. Most, if not all, require bead blasting to get a rough surface so the paint or epoxy will stick to the metal. It is all tough stuff. The coating is just about self levleing, and I doubt it will arbrade the bands, regardless of the attachment method you use to mount the bands to the fork. I had planned on using Gun Kote for my mild steel slingshot, but I have been forced to put the project on hold because I want to get the perfect fork height and spread for me before I start sawing and filing on a 1/4 inch piece of steel flat stock.

·
Resigned
943 Posts
Nice one Smitty, you certainly have the skills and imagination to produce a fine selection of slingshots on a commercial basis..

I have 4 of your slingshots now, and can vouch for the quality of your work.

Martin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.