Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Thought I'd kick off a thread for people to post to who can't shoot due to adverse local weather conditions.

As for myself, last week I was sick as a dog, and this week it's been too cold and wet to shoot (I should probably get around to rigging a new indoor trap). Anyway, I've been spending a little bit of each day slowly working my way though "Star Wars: The Force Unleashed I", on my PS3.

PS3 Trophies

After I finish platinum, and if the weather's still cruddy, I'll probably move on to Metal Gear Solid 4.

·
"Crafter"
1,897 Posts
I have been playing the a** off my 360 due to the cold.... I don't mind the cold but this year its too **** cold. if I'm not on the 360 I play deer hunter 2005 maxed out, I have wasted days on this game its a shame that it is so underrated because once you get familiar with it I find it a good sim, got to love the bullet cam kills

·
Registered
733 Posts
The weather has definitely cut down on my shooting time. Best distance I can get in my garage with the door shut is about 28 feet. So I have been making more. I think I have like 15, I don't think I really need more. But I get an Idea and have to try it out. Oh well, something to do when the weather isn't cooperative.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Still too cold to shoot here ... 20's at night, 30's day.

I'm just one silver and one bronze trophy away from platinum in Force Unleashed I ... should have them both tomorrow.

Posted a review on amazon.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
I just built a catch box for indoors, still shooting. Only have about 21 feet but it is nice and warm in the basememt. Scaled down on band weight (single Express band) still have good speed at the shorter range. Also made a new natural in the last couple days. Come on guys, get off the x box and in the workshop. Merry Christmas to all.
Philly

·
Registered
151 Posts
MGS4 is great. Tends to get a little up its own butt with crazy long cut scenes.

Looking at you trophy's reminded me I have to finish GOW3. I got the YLOD on my 1st gen 60gb while playing it [GOW3] and had to do a hot gun fix, lasted two months and locked up again. Bought a new ps3 but totally forgot about GOW, gotta get back to that.

Have you played Unleashed II?

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
MGS4 is great. Tends to get a little up its own butt with crazy long cut scenes.

Looking at you trophy's reminded me I have to finish GOW3. I got the YLOD on my 1st gen 60gb while playing it [GOW3] and had to do a hot gun fix, lasted two months and locked up again. Bought a new ps3 but totally forgot about GOW, gotta get back to that.

I have a 120gb PS3, courtesy of some expiring credit card reward points ... would have been nice to have a bigger drive, but the 120 was the only option available via Scorecard at the time. Oh well.

As much as I love the Star Wars universe, Unleashed I pushed the edges of my admittedly low tolerance for poorly designed / underpolished games, and by all counts Unleashed II is significantly worse than Unleashed I, so I'm going to skip it. Wasn't too impressed with the demo - not only did they not fix all the flaws with it's predecessor, they added even more flaws.

BTW, the whole online trophy thing seems to be a relatively new addition to the gaming industry ... I had a lot of PS1 & 2 games that I completed and subsequently resold that it would have been nice to get retroactive tropies for (various titles of prince of persia, tomb raider, assorted racing games, earlier titles of MGS, etc.), but that's not possible.

Anyway, with CERN's LHC on hiatus for the next several weeks, I need to find something to occupy my attention, so it's back to the PS3 for me. After MGS4 I'll probably go back and clean up the arena challenges for GOW1&2 for 2 more platinums (I'm temporarily burned out on GOW), then I'll move on to Heavy Rain. Action games are nice, but as a former penchil & paper RPGer my forte are high-brow RPGs with good writing and a lot of ambiance.

Let me know if you need any GOW3 or SW:TFU1 tips ... happy to help.

·
Registered
151 Posts

I have a 120gb PS3, courtesy of some expiring credit card reward points ... would have been nice to have a bigger drive, but the 120 was the only option available via Scorecard at the time. Oh well.

As much as I love the Star Wars universe, Unleashed I pushed the edges of my admittedly low tolerance for poorly designed / underpolished games, and by all counts Unleashed II is significantly worse than Unleashed I, so I'm going to skip it. Wasn't too impressed with the demo - not only did they not fix all the flaws with it's predecessor, they added even more flaws.

BTW, the whole online trophy thing seems to be a relatively new addition to the gaming industry ... I had a lot of PS1 & 2 games that I completed and subsequently resold that it would have been nice to get retroactive tropies for (various titles of prince of persia, tomb raider, assorted racing games, earlier titles of MGS, etc.), but that's not possible.

Anyway, with CERN's LHC on hiatus for the next several weeks, I need to find something to occupy my attention, so it's back to the PS3 for me. After MGS4 I'll probably go back and clean up the arena challenges for GOW1&2 for 2 more platinums (I'm temporarily burned out on GOW), then I'll move on to Heavy Rain. Action games are nice, but as a former penchil & paper RPGer my forte are high-brow RPGs with good writing and a lot of ambiance.

Let me know if you need any GOW3 or SW:TFU1 tips ... happy to help.
[/quote]

I'm sure I will hit you up on tips for GOW III, that game is really had for me. I find myself struggling to figure out how to kill some bosses, thank God for You tube.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
After getting platinum, I tried to beat GOW3 on basic (no costume bonuses) Chaos mode, and almost made it ... I got as far as the penultimate boss (Scorpius) before my level of frustration finally exceeded my level of fun, and I put the game aside. Scorpius on Titan mode was tedious enough, but Scorpius on Chaos mode was just a joyless trial of endless repetition and failure. I was pretty confident I could have beaten Zeus on Chaos, but I just couldn't get past scorpius.

BTW, don't believe ANYONE who claims to have to have won chaos on a NUR (no upgrade run). You can plainly see in every video that either they're either using a costume (with damage bonuses), they're lying about what difficulty setting they're on (because the primary and secondary foes aren't very aggressive and are easily stunned), or because their health bar is maxed and/or never budges even when they take a hit (which proves they have at least one godly relic enabled).

On REAL Chaos mode, ALL opponents instantly close in and pressure you unrelentingly, they're rarely stunned, and all their hits do triple damage ... even small incidental hits hurt a lot, and big ones kill you outright, so your health bar is NEVER hovering near full by the end of the battle. EVER. Period.

It's pretty sad seeing all those teens lie, and even more sad seeing how many gullible people out there actually believe them, because they're too clueless to figure out how they cheated in their vids.

To win boss battles on chaos mode, you must master all of the following:

* evasion
* blocking/deflection timing (golden fleece)
* counter attack timing
* all attack combos for each weapon
* pacing and battle strategy
* ability to keep track of multiple opponents simultaneously.

One way of telling if you're ready to attempt chaos mode is to go into the combat arena, cue up six gorgons (3 fat ones, three skinny ones), and practice your positional awareness and fleece deflections. If you can't consistently manage at least 6-10 consecutive petrification deflections with the golden fleece, don't bother attempting chaos mode.

·
Registered
151 Posts
After getting platinum, I tried to beat GOW3 on basic (no costume bonuses) Chaos mode, and almost made it ... I got as far as the penultimate boss (Scorpius) before my level of frustration finally exceeded my level of fun, and I put the game aside. Scorpius on Titan mode was tedious enough, but Scorpius on Chaos mode was just a joyless trial of endless repetition and failure. I was pretty confident I could have beaten Zeus on Chaos, but I just couldn't get past scorpius.

BTW, don't believe ANYONE who claims to have to have won chaos on a NUR (no upgrade run). You can plainly see in every video that either they're either using a costume (with damage bonuses), they're lying about what difficulty setting they're on (because the primary and secondary foes aren't very aggressive and are easily stunned), or because their health bar is maxed and/or never budges even when they take a hit (which proves they have at least one godly relic enabled). On REAL Chaos mode, ALL opponents instantly close in and pressure you unrelentingly, they're rarely (or only briefly) stunned, and all their hits do triple damage ... even small incidental hits hurt a lot, and big ones kill you outright.

It's pretty sad seeing all those teens lie, and even more sad seeing how many gullible people out there actually believe them, because they're too clueless to figure out how they cheated in their vids.

To win boss battles on chaos mode, you must master all of the following:

* evasion
* blocking/deflection timing (golden fleece)
* counter attack timing
* all attack combos for each weapon
* pacing and battle strategy
* ability to keep track of multiple opponents simultaneously.

One way of telling if you're ready to attempt chaos mode is to go into the combat arena, cue up six gorgons (3 fat ones, three skinny ones), and practice your positional awareness and fleece deflections. If you can't consistently manage at least 6-10 consecutive petrification deflections with the golden fleece, don't bother attempting chaos mode.
Thanks for the FYI.

Lately Ive be playing a lot of Dead Rising II and COD black opps on pc.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been meaning to get Dead Rising ... the reviews are consistently good.

BTW, one last thing on my "pacing" comment above (I'd revised my post after you quoted it): I was referring to when and how much of your magic to use up, and when and how much of your rage of the gods to use up, during a multi-part boss battle ... hence "pacing yourself". Hope that clarifies my otherwise cryptic remark.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Havent uploaded this morning's trophies yet, but I just platinumed in SW:TFU1 core game ... just a few minor loose ends in the DLCs left to clean up to also get 100%, after which I'll either move on to MGS4 or go back and tie up a few loose ends for platinum in GOW1&2.

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
Well, I practically hate almost everybody and everything that isn't slingshot related. But I usually don't like to have conversations about my bette noires. So I'm staying in character for this foul-weather post.

This is Sunday, Dec. 19, 2010 here in New England. It's kinda cold at around 29 - 30 degrees Fahrenheit. But it's the kind of cold that really penetrates, i.e., damp. Cloudy. Feels like it's going to snow any minute. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't yet.

I went out back today before noon and shot extensively with two slingshots I've recently been given by members here, namely Gib and Jephroux. Both of these shooters are pocket friendly and finished to the level of the furniture in my living room. No hype. I had fun, but the weather was still casting a mood depressing pall over everything.

So inside I went to spray a couple more coats of varnish on my two ash "Brothers" I made from forks sent to me from The Gopher over in Minnesota. Never used spray-on varnish before, and I'm not very happy with it. I wish I took my time and use just linseed oil like I usually do. But I'm too deep into this now and am nowhere near patient enough to change course now after 5 or 6 coats. And this depresses me even more, because I worked my butt off on those forks.

The wife, an Italian woman who more than lives up to customary expectations of culinary expertise, asked if I wanted her to cook me something. (God bless her, this is besides what she's already engaged in preparing for Christmas Eve's annual feast.). But I declined, knowing what the upcoming holiday meals are going to add to the slow suicide I'm committing every day with the way I eat. I am unfortunately a man of medium stature and huge appetites. Eating usually cheers me up, but I don't feel low enough to be suicidal today.

Checked this forum and found it pretty slow. Everybody must be Christmas shopping and getting read for the holiday. . .

Haven't been getting enough exercise lately, so I set off for a walk in the woods. Wow, what a good choice that was! Almost forgot how much I love the woods in winter, before the snow falls. I perked up immediately once I got deep enough. Took a catty with me and some marbles and the last of the clay balls I rolled a few weeks ago. There's a tall-grass field I know that is just no fun in the summer months, but altogether different in winter. In there I saw a slew of some kind of plants that are sporting these white seed pods or something that are about 2 - 3 inches in diameter and roughly round. Great targets, and sitting at all ranges. Fun! Made me forget my depression.

The season made it possible for me to explore further into the surrounding woods, which are fairly impenetrable in summer. I saw a clump of trees that seemed maybe . . . holy? Sometimes in the woods I feel accompanied by gods and other spirits. And some trees and plants seem to be trying to say something to me. I know some of my friends here experience this. It would be nice if some of you would share what you have known in this vein.

On the rim of this high grass field, I have in the past cut some nice forks. I hold the bushes and trees that bless me thus in high honor. So I visited them. I remembered where each one lives and won't forget. Although at my age I do forget a lot.

One bush -- I call it a bush only because I am admittedly quite inept at being able to name my woodland allies -- warranted extra attention. This particular bush/tree taught me a major lesson last summer about boiling my freshly cut forks. For I cut two very handsome forks from it and boiled them in salt water for only twenty minutes. Both cracked badly. I was sorry and chastised. It is better to boil for an hour or more.

But the same tree called me to itself today and offered me two more forks of fine symmetry to cut. I did cut them for, in addition to my catty, I brought my folding saw and beloved Svord knife from New Zealand. It was very generous and forgiving of that tree. But here there's more. The way in which the tree beckoned was gory and therefore noteworthy. I was actually getting ready to pass by this tree, but there was something unusual-looking near it. When I walked closer, I saw a totally out of the ordinary skeleton - that is, it was way larger than any remains of small game I've ever encountered in the woods hereabouts. At the time of my viewing, I really regretted not having brought my camera. And I still do.

I have never seen such a carcass or skeleton. Though it was picked almost completely of the meat, I could see that what had been gnawed from the bones was recent. Quite red. But what was so unusual and freaky about the thing was the long neck. Not only long was the neck, but still there was gray wolfen- like fur left on it. But the teeth in the mostly-gone jaw were very small. I looked for fangs and saw nowt. Strange, says I.

These gray cold depressing days can turn happy. Later, on a stroll through a different part of the woodland, where normal trees grow, I came on another bush/tree showing a fork not quite perfectly shaped, but with nice potential, so I bent to the job of cutting it with my folding saw. Nearby was a fallen tree with a trunk about 10 inches in diameter to sit upon. Feeling a little tired from walking, I accepted the comfort. Then I drew out my Svord knife and began to carve a fork out of what I'd just cut. I went all the way and completely carved myself a new catty from the green wood. It is the way I like to carve hard wood. Completely green. I think I got a fair to middling catty out of the effort. But the best part is how I forgot about how cold and damp it was for the duration of my activity. I so love this carving and winter weather outdoors that I become oblivious to the "hardships" involved.

My mood was light and happy on the walk home. And I am glad to be alive. If the catty I carved survives, I will post it for you all. I sealed it in a plastic bag upon arriving home deliciously tired, and content.

Climate blues? Naw, just get out there.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Weather's clearing and slightly warmer ... might try shooting tomorrow.

As luck would have it, there's a lunar eclipse occuring early tomorrow morning in the north western hemisphere, which happens to coincide with the ursid meteor shower. Might get up early and try to watch some of it.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
It overslept and missed the show last night.

On a good note, I just got a package from Bill Hays ... 2 spiffy shooters, both of them rigged for through-the-forks shooting. Gonna have to get out there and put some BBgs down range.

·
Premium Member
784 Posts
Brock: I already finished Act 1 of Metal Gear Solid 4 ... it's been a few years since I finished MGS 1 & 2 on the earlier playstations, but it's coming back to me, and I'm making good time. Too bad this game doesn't have trophies ... just some stupid virtual dolls for doing things much harder and less efficiently than needed.

The plot seemed a bit confusing at first, but it's becoming a cake walk as my old shoot/sneak reflexes return.

I'm sure a real life pro like Bill Hayes is probably rolling his eyes at us couch potatoes.

·
No other shooting sport compares.
6,434 Posts
I agree the cold sucks! My xbox crapped the bed. I did get the new Onlive system and have been playing that like crazy. I still shoot outside on the weekends and in the basement during the week.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
I have been working on my shooting indoors and making a couple new Naturals from Apple and Yew forks I picked up this summer. Meanwhile think spring.
Philly

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.