Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]I have been saving a bit of mammoth tooth for ages, waiting for inspiration to hit me. In that time, I also managed to collect some very nice mammoth tusk. Finally, I found the combo and built the slingshot I had long envisioned. I call it "The Mammoth" for lack of a better term. The core of the slingshot is dyed birch with maple spacers flanked by zebrano. Finally I used my very last bit of macassar ebony. I had to book match it to make it wide enough for the catty. The tooth has been stabilized with acrylic and dyed for visual effect and used on the palmswell. The fork tips are the mammoth ivory with bloodwood spacers, showing some very nice coloration. The entire thing is simply polished with a hard wax, no finish at all.[/background]

[background=rgb(247, 247, 247)]Too pretty to shoot?? No way, it is made to shoot and shoot it will. Enjoy[/background]

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Nathan, again you have out done yourself. Words cannot describe that slingshot. Beauty to the XnX[sup]th [/sup]power!! But shoot it?? ABSOLUTELY!!

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What tools did you use for the tooth? i read that they are very dense and solid.
I used the same tools I use for G10 and composites- bi metal saws and zirconia abrasives.

The stuff stinks like.... teeth. My shop smelled like a dentist's office for two days

·
Cogito Ergo Armatum Sum
1,014 Posts
Beautiful work. Now you have two slingshots with ivory :) And yes, the newer stuff smells just as bad.

·
Premium Member
4,900 Posts
Stunning!!

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
Nathan, I'd like to buy this, but I'd like to know how strong that mammoth tooth is. Can you post a video testing a few fork hits on it, to see if it chips?
Do you know any dentists who might be able to fix it up? =)

Gorgeous slingshot

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nathan, I'd like to buy this, but I'd like to know how strong that mammoth tooth is. Can you post a video testing a few fork hits on it, to see if it chips?
Do you know any dentists who might be able to fix it up? =)

Gorgeous slingshot
The fork tips are the mammoth ivory, and I imagine they would take a fork hit and survive, but I don't have a dental plan that would cover it!

It is not for sale

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
You were just showing off, huh? Typical.... Show a guy what he can't have. Wave it in his face!
Just like Lucy. Show me that football, put it down, hold it, wait 'till I'm about to swing, then yank it away. I'm gonna go cry now.

That smell is something else isn't it, Nathan. Heather kicked me out when I was making that shark tooth shooter. I haven't got a shop.... More crying to do...
That is an amazing work of art, Nathan. Way to go.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
Yep fabulous, beautiful, fantastic, gorgeous, superior workmanship, but I would be afraid to shoot it also. If I owned it would just hang there on the wall. -- Tex

Reactions: Mr.Teh

·
Registered
583 Posts
What the ****...that is freakin sweet. I don't know what else to say, other than shooting that sling will most likely never be forgotten.

Get it? Elephant? Never be forgotten??? If you didn't get it, probably because that joke sucked, unlike that slingshot. A true work of art.

Reactions: All Buns Glazing

·
Premium Member
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep fabulous, beautiful, fantastic, gorgeous, superior workmanship, but I would be afraid to shoot it also. If I owned it would just hang there on the wall. -- Tex
Aww, c'mon Tex, you surely have moved beyond fork hits!!

I suppose that there are thousands of knives that folks own that cut as well as a Barlow that will never cut more than a careless finger. Art for art's sake- creativity must have an outlet!

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Now, you're just showing off!
Truly a master of your craft.
Looks like I have to put out a second mortgage to purchase this one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Awe inspiring!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts