Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Danny0663 making one of my old designs today, I thought I'd make up a PDF and share it with you all.

The main focus of this design was:
  • As simple as possible
  • Able to use a varied range of materials
  • Capable of taking any band type
  • Require minimal tools
  • Allow easy customisation
Let me introduce to you the MBBS - Multi Band Budget Shooter

Attachments

·
Over 9001 Warning Points!
2,089 Posts
Finger choils!

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,245 Posts
This idea will go through many iterations, and a more grippy handle will be the main difference. It's very much akin to the simple forked stick à la Rufus Hussey. But a little better. This is the forked stick of the urban world in a way, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
Question: why is one end 30mm and the other end 45mm?, awesome design, I will have to try this out, no sanding or finishing, I like that!

·
Rule #14
1,519 Posts
@ newconvert.
I think 6.3mm might be a little thick, and may show some stress cracks when you bend it 90 degrees.
The 3mm i used showed some stress cracks along the bend, but it was still o.k to use. Just minor visual defects.

But i guess it will depend on the alloy you use...

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
@ newconvert.
I think 6.3mm might be a little thick, and may show some stress cracks when you bend it 90 degrees.
The 3mm i used showed some stress cracks along the bend, but it was still o.k to use. Just minor visual defects.

But i guess it will depend on the alloy you use...
well its 6061 my fear is to begin the process and have it look bad due to stress fractures.

·
Banned
6,402 Posts
Should be fine. Just don't try and do a sharp 90 degree bend.

Use a piece of round bar clamped with it in a vice to form a radius when you bend it.

You can also use a thin piece of sheet metal on the outside that will bend with it and reduce/eliminate any hammer marks on the aluminium.

Use a dead blow hammer or a soft faced mallet to help avoid any stress fractures.

Rectangle Circle Wood Font Logo

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,252 Posts
Should be fine. Just don't try and do a sharp 90 degree bend.

Use a piece of round bar clamped with it in a vice to form a radius when you bend it.

You can also use a think piece of sheet metal on the outside that will bend with it and reduce/eliminate any hammer marks on the aluminium.

Use a dead blow hammer or a soft faced mallet to help avoid any stress fractures.

View attachment 18663
sounds great, i am just trying to get mine looking very symmetrical like yours, i have more ideas now. thanks Hrawk

·
Super Moderator
10,991 Posts
Reminds me of the Flat Cat!

http://www.supershoo...m/FLAT-CAT.html

The latest version of the Flat Cat eliminates the clamping pieces on the forks. I have one and it works well.

Taking a tip from the Flat Cat design, the forks could be made in two pieces, with a gentler bend in each one, and bolted either side of the handle to give more of a Y shape. That should avoid stress cracks.

Cheers ..... Charles

1 - 20 of 39 Posts