Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shooting slingshots has got to be one of the most rewarding hobbies I have ever participated in. When I go out to shoot I pick a target that challenges me, but I also so grab a couple of cans???? ???????? After reading one of the post about using a Sling, I decided to check a couple of sling YouTube channels out. I can see where becoming proficient with a sling could be extremely difficult. That’s when I thought of several conditions that affect the learning process of slingshots also. If your just plinking around, it’s more than likely laid back, no mental pressure. But what if you had to depend on your ability to provide food with that slingshot. Rufus Hussy, comes to mind, as someone who depended on his accuracy with a slingshot for food. You can practice accuracy, but. to control your mental aspect of shooting you almost have to be in a situation such as a tournament. I’ve got a couple of friends that thrive on what I call high pressure shots. They tell me when they are in that type of situation such as taking the final shot, they see nothing but the ammo hitting the intended target. There was a post one time on “Target Panic” which I definitely could relate to. I feel like the older I get the more I am able to control my nervousness, or maybe because my accuracy is improving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Even the plinking aspect is quite meditative.

Just yesterday my wife commented on me shooting in the forest "I like your new hobby. I usually like to just stand in the nature and enjoy it, but I wasn't able to do so while walking with you as you're too impatient to just stand. With a slingshot though, you can stand in one place for so long".

It's quite a relaxing process, to spend time just shooting at something for half an hour without worrying about thousand things an adult likes to worry in a daily life.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I always try to get in a couple of shooting sessions each day. I'm just a "shooter" at heart ya know.

The mental aspect? Well I enjoy the challenge, the concentration, always competing with myself to improve on accuracy, analyzing each shot. A healthy mental and physical 'escape' you might say. And yes, I do think about . . . what if I did have to depend on my shooting and hunting skills to put food on the table. Again, just another part of the challenge of it all.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Music performance has taught me nerve control. It is the only reason I place a few up from the bottom of the pack at competitions. However, as with anything, practice is required and I just do not care to put that level of effort in when it comes to shooting . Build slingshots, well, that's a whole different story. :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,750 Posts
I'm strange, but I guess you all spotted that lol When it comes to that "more difficult" to hit shot I generally get it. If it's repetitive spinner shooting my brain switches off. Shooting in public doesn't bother me as I shoot at work and customers can (and do) come in at any moment or out in the woods I am aware of people watching me out of the corner of my eye. Did find being on camera put me off at first, but that's because I prefer behind the camera so I don't scare the children

·
Super Moderator
6,192 Posts
I have a very time consuming job. I can't think of many activities I can literally just pick up (or put down) and do without a fair amount of preparation - its a great escape. And it helps me focus wholly on something other than daily stress.

I can also have a whole hobby in my pocket. and take and pretty much use wherever I am.

And its enjoyable - and when I'm in the zone, rewarding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts