Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an older thread I've found about this method. The pictures attached tell the whole story.
Basically, with this setup, a perfect pouch hold is guaranteed, every single time. I've found that if I want to cut a card easily, that's the way to do it :)
I stopped shooting this way after a few shots because I didn't think it would promote normal shooting, but now I can see clear benefits. One can try out changes in posture and sight picture, with the certainty that his release is perfect.
I don't pass my thumb through the loop as usual though, because it's not as consistent on release. I just get a hold of the knot, which I make somewhat fat.
Tweak as much as you want, the shot will go straight :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add, it's also much easier to draw heavy bands this way ;)
Would that be allowed in a tournament guys?

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I have seen and plan to emulate as an experiment something very similar in the 2018 Italian Slingshot Tournament. It looks great for the small ammo they shoot.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, in all seriousness I am against this technique, it should be really a different event in a tournament, as it takes out the most important variable in our shooting.
Give it a try but please don't get addicted to it.
Oh, some practice is required in order to hold the BB in place untill sufficient draw holds it itself, I know I got frustrated in the beginning :)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Legendary Spanish tournament shooter Juli uses a leather tab instead of the string. Mark Clark shown it at FB. It is a combination of a GZK pouch (with the two tiny plastic struts to hold the ammo centered and a modified outer pouch that is used as tab.

The concept itself is proven to be effective. But I guess it depends on the shooter as always.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Legendary Spanish tournament shooter Juli uses a leather tab instead of the string. Mark Clark shown it at FB. It is a combination of a GZK pouch (with the two tiny plastic struts to hold the ammo centered and a modified outer pouch that is used as tab.The concept itself is proven to be effective. But I guess it depends on the shooter as always.
So, they allow this in tournaments? I wouldn't allow it. Maybe it's just me, because my only real problems with my shooting is my pouch hold, because of injury and a bad habit of not gripping the pouch straight, which I now actively try to correct, that this thing just lets me shoot straight as if on autopilot. In any case, I want to learn how to shoot without external help, so I abandoned it :)
Btw, unlearning a bad habit....is HARD.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Seems like those Mongolians have a thing or two to teach us!
They also have a thumb release technique for archery :

No wonder old Genghis was so successful!

Does anyone know what they were using for elasticated bands? I doubt that rubber trees grow in the Steppes...

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They used the string to draw their bows. With a slingshot it's more accurate to simply hold the string instead of releasing with the thumb.

·
Premium Member
11,461 Posts
Skropi, your post confirmed my thoughts on shooting a slingshot. I think whatever (within reason ) a person can do to make their accuracy better go for it. Your post also reminded me to stick with my goal which is to shoot my BoyShot 6061 aluminum slingshot with no special sights or pouches. I’m going for 100% fun, and if accuracy improves that’s a wonderful bonus I have to stick with my plan, if I don’t, I will never know how accurate I could have been. My number one enjoyment is the members of this Forum❤

·
Registered
492 Posts
I can't find it for the life of me right now. GZK through in a magnetic pouch as a freebie with an order. Your picture just reminded me of it. It has a tab instead of a string. Have yet to try it.

Product Font Input device Video game accessory Gadget

On your setup, how do your pouches stand up with the string draw? Do you feel the need to have "centering" holes on the side to help retain the bearing since it's not being gripped by fingers?

Rectangle Sleeve Grey Font Circle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Who cares if it's allowed in tournaments? There's no governing body and no slingshot police. Do what works for you.
Can you post some more about how you connect the string to the pouch? I'd like to give this a try. My only concern would be how slow it would be to reload.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shootncoastie, there is no need for centering holes, as you see in the pic, the bb just stays where you put it when under tension.
MJ, its a bit slow to load because I haven't practiced it enough, but I am sure with practice it will not be bad.
You actually don't attach anything, it is as shown in the pics, a simple string loop, with the pouch inside it, and the knot, tying the loop is between my fingers. The loop is free, it can reach a fork!
If you need further explanation I will post some pics.
I am still on the fence of shooting this way though MJ, it really feels like cheating.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Shootncoastie, there is no need for centering holes, as you see in the pic, the bb just stays where you put it when under tension.
MJ, its a bit slow to load because I haven't practiced it enough, but I am sure with practice it will not be bad.
You actually don't attach anything, it is as shown in the pics, a simple string loop, with the pouch inside it, and the knot, tying the loop is between my fingers. The loop is free, it can reach a fork!
I am still on the fence of shooting this way though MJ, it really feels like cheating.....
What this is leaning toward is shooting with a Release on a couple of very strong slings my fingers does not have the grip they used to have so I took and modified a China release redid their trigger and pouch holder and added my own wrist belt and did very well with it. You have to get your draw breathing and trigger pull in sync. the only draw back was slower reload by a lot and I was doing this with 1/2 inch ammo!!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What this is leaning toward is shooting with a Release on a couple of very strong slings my fingers does not have the grip they used to have so I took and modified a China release redid their trigger and pouch holder and added my own wrist belt and did very well with it. You have to get your draw breathing and trigger pull in sync. the only draw back was slower reload by a lot and I was doing this with 1/2 inch ammo!!
I am certain that this simple string is more accurate than a mechanical release. The flexibility of the string ensures a totally straight release.
I am telling you man.....it's the devil...
Do try it though, I would like an opinion on draw weight easiness of pull.

Reactions: Tag

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Practical shoots- V- Action shoots (icon Bronx Cheer). Sir, I can see your objection as the Purist as opposed to the Techno. Most tournaments are like IDPA and ISPC. Highly artificial with specialized equipment (IE, "Race Guns") From what I have seen from your posts, you are pursuing the best development of the practical style. Allow others to have their fun after you have stated your position.

In the end? No-one is Right or Wrong; just different. :calvin:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Practical shoots- V- Action shoots (icon Bronx Cheer). Sir, I can see your objection as the Purist as opposed to the Techno. Most tournaments are like IDPA and ISPC. Highly artificial with specialized equipment (IE, "Race Guns") From what I have seen from your posts, you are pursuing the best development of the practical style. Allow others to have their fun after you have stated your position.
In the end? No-one is Right or Wrong; just different. :calvin:
Lol mate, I am just exaggerating as an attempt at humour ????
And believe me, I am constraining myself not to use the string, its appeal is too great, but I can still resist it ????

Reactions: Tag
1 - 20 of 30 Posts