Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my second board cut . Another roasted maple. I had no template so I just started carving, and this is what I came up with. An strange looking ergo that I call "probe" cause it kinda looks Alien-ish.

I wish I could upload a video to show how well this fits the hand...it's like a glove...very comfortable...

Roasted Sugar maple...no stain...sanded to 600...and finished with one light coat of BLO...(a couple more coats will darken it up, but I'm not sure I want it any darker)

I have one other roasted maple frame left...any ideas of what frame I should make?
(I plan to cut a few moremand roast them less so they will be lighter...and maybe make a couple that aren't roasted at all... natural looks nice as well)

Thanks for viewing...comments welcome :)
e1cacc22e73f3b113b929eeacb6967c5.jpg
850b2e3b0d19e101e97cff23058ca3ae.jpg
771523e35c4a6f82caa4a22662bf9a06.jpg

Sent from my B3-A40 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome wood brilliant shape. How do you exactly roasted the wood how long what temperatur. Is it possible with any wood? Thanks for showing
I always cut the fork first and rough shape it so it's ready for sanding...turn on oven to 350f and move the ovenrack to second from top position...
The length of time will determine how dark the fork will end up...I think this one was baked for 3 hours...and you have to take into consideration that it only has one coat of BLO...a couple more coats will make it a bit darker...and the grain contrast with become more bold.
if you check my first board cut post, you'll see I put up times and pics for examples...and I explain why this happens...
This also fire hardens the wood which is great for board cuts that don't have metal or play cores..

You can do it with any wood, but maple has the best affect....Oak turns out nice as well...it just doesn't have the type of sap that caramelizes like maple

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geez! Lovin' those lines! That just came out of the ol' noodle as you went? Pursue that gift broheem-

Very nifty. I give it a slickness factor of 8.2. The handle and finish are awesome.

Freakin' musicians... :yeahright:
Lol...thanks :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good lookin buddy. It's funny, I just made one with a finger and thumb rest. They are comfy. Really nice frame Len.
Thanks Joe...it's not a style I would have ever thought of making....I just lost myself in the build....I must agree though...it is really comfy

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, this creation belongs in the Slingshot Temple - I am getting goosebumps just looking at it !

Thanks for sharing this beauty - I must mention as well - Great photo captures!
Thank you!!! :)

·
Missing Barns and Telling Yarns
985 Posts
Beautiful work! The first picture had me impressed, then I kept scrolling and got blown away by the finger grooves! You're making wood flow like water, and I dig it.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Beautiful work! The first picture had me impressed, then I kept scrolling and got blown away by the finger grooves! You're making wood flow like water, and I dig it.
Thank you...I absolutely love the comparison to flowing water...glad you like it!

Reactions: hoggy
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.