Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since many people liked the natural shooter on my previous post, I decided to be more detailed about it and of course post some more photos for all the natural lovers here:

The Story:

I was walking my dog around the neighborhood the other day and noticed a tree branch someone had thrown away after doing some Christmas cleaning. So I took a closer look and there it was on the garbage. A beautifully shaped piece of wood with the potential of turning into a great fork. So I took it home, cut it, sanded it and Voilá! I now have one of my favorite slingshots. (Two hours later the Garbage truck came so I was really lucky!) Isn't it a beauty?

Human body Wood Artifact Symbol Wood stain
Wood Art Electric blue Balance Natural material

Attachments

·
Panda... with a slingshot?!?
807 Posts
Wow, this ones a beauty! Do you know what kind of wood it is? I especially like the way the grain stands out so much, but it seems to be a perfect Y shape. Don't find them often in nature.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Great rescue you deserve a medal

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thank you! Actually, I don't know what kind of wood it is but it's really strong wood and yes I was blessed with that Y shape...

Wow, this ones a beauty! Do you know what kind of wood it is? I especially like the way the grain stands out so much, but it seems to be a perfect Y shape. Don't find them often in nature.

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
Great work Rock and Shoot, and extra points on scrap/throways wood. What an excellent way to give some dignity to a humiliated piece of junk wood, plus sve a little space in the landfill.

Almost every slingshot I make is brought forth from naturally-downed trees or the leavings from logging operations......I love rescuing said wood!

Great slingshot and keep us posted on your further efforts.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Superb job! Has inspired me to undertake a project like this myself. Having never made a natural before are there any tips to be gleemed about minium trunk diameter, type of wood used etc before I undertake a project myself?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks! Just be sure that the wood is strong enough to resist the pull of the bands without breaking and the handle is wide enough for a steady grip. (I usually put heavy pressure with my hands on the fork and if it doesn't break it'll probably resist the bands pressure.) Also try to put some kind of coating to protect the wood from moisture. I use polyurethane. Anyway always be careful and Good Luck!
Superb job! Has inspired me to undertake a project like this myself. Having never made a natural before are there any tips to be gleemed about minium trunk diameter, type of wood used etc before I undertake a project myself?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.