Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Hello everyone,

As many of you know, I'm an experimenter with slingshots, at best I'm no tourney shooter. I make a consistent effort to try all forms of elastics, why only stick to one when you are just getting going? I believe that in order to at least ave backing behind your opinions with slingshot elastics you would do well to have tried them all, or as many as possible. That way you develop a total understanding to allow for educated evaluations of your preferences. That is just my philosophy in the early going. Yes, I declare myself as I chained rubberband advocate and dedicated user, but I don't limit myself.

Yet, despite this attitude, when it comes to hunting I am all business....to me it is very important to spend time honing my skills with my bandsets of choice and selected ammo (still a scrounged variety of lead, stones, steel, and hex nuts). I have a hunting rotation of around 3 slingshots 2 of which usually have the same bands, while the other dons my next in line of favorites. I'm sure others have different philosophies, but this is just me.

Now, for the last 2 months I have searched for a long lasting bandset on the cheap that will hurl my stones (important because they are free) at good speeds. I pursued solid square rubber, but that was to difficult to acquire and expensive to rely on it in the U.S. Then I tried heavy tubes, doubled thera-gold, and then settled in with some cheap 64 chains. They shoot great at about 10 cents a bandset. Now, I do not wish to start a best elastic discussion, I am just setting the stage with a little exposition before I explain further.

A few weeks ago I realized that Nico was in search of the round solids from his past that worked great alongside his chains. Hearing this I racked my brains to remember the source where I had seen him. Once I located it we both ordered some in hopes it would fit the bill that his solids once did. After a few days of anticipation, they arrived.......I intercepted the delivery guy in the middle of the road, tackled him ,and secured the package in no time (okay that didn't happen
)....

At this stage in the game, they are everything I hoped for, good snap, hefty, yet very smooth draw, smooth finish, and ease of attaching. I had about 45 minutes today, so I strapped up on Jmplsnt's elm fork with tabs that had just gone naked as my 64 chain snapped at around 450 shots....It looks great, seems safe, and is attached cleanly......I think they will last a long time.

I attached at the pouch a la "Tyke" the famed British square rubber user, who is an incredible hunter, a legend in my book......So far I have hurled about 20 shots downrange at 10m in the cold. In that time I had to hold a funeral for a coffee can, because they shot great....and to my observations did not even get cold. They have satisfied thus far.

Here are some pics, I was out o natural light so they aren't of the greatest quality, they don't do Jmp's beautiful slingshot justice.

Wood Flooring Hardwood Audio equipment Wood stain

There is the fork and bands, with some of the stones I use. They are a great shape and weight, as you can see them next to a 1/2" marble...a bit big, but this results in devastating impacts. The best part about it is there is a lot more where that came from!

Here is a better view of the "Tyke" pouch attachment method, I'm sure other square users use this too, but he is who I learned it from.

Peripheral Wood Gadget Audio equipment Close-up

Thanks for looking, I look forward to your responses, I think Nico and I will continue to post and update here for at least the duration of the initial band lives with these solids. You'll have updates from me on them occasionally as well.

Take Care - John

Attachments

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Good to hear you found something, sorry I couldn't help you with the squares. May I ask where you got the round solids??

·
Member, Brotherhood of Slingshot Nutz
11,147 Posts
"May I ask ?" -- heck! John, you'd better give us the source, or else.
I would advise you to strap up the shooter I sent you with this rubber instead of the stuff I sent, because it looks like it's better suited.
Thanks for posting (but that is contingent upon your giving us the source).

·
Resigned
729 Posts
Here here Juanito!

I also have this good round solid elastic and it is highly reminiscent of the old school high quality round solids that I used in Mexico on my resorteras.

This black round solid is very fast almost as fast as the red chains and it does shoot stones exceedlingly well and with great speed.
I set up some of this great round solid on my antler pocket poacher and it is sensational the speed it is giving, it does have a surprisingly heavy pull for 1/4" solid bands therefore perfect for heavy ammo.

Here's mine John

Sorry the pic is bad, cell phone camera is not that good
Line Material property Gas Composite material Wire

Your stones look like the ones I have been using to fill my pot.

If I get a chance later, I will chrony this stuff to see how fast it is..
For now all I can say is that the last time I saw the good round solids prior to present times was 16 years ago and its a joy to have this new source for some kick ass round solid elastic.

Nico

Attachments

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
You guys are going to make me nuts, something new(old) to try. I can,t keep up. Sounds great.
Philly

·
Registered
606 Posts
Great review Bane, what will it shoot like when the weather warms up

·
Premium Member
7,905 Posts
That looks like a very sensible way to attach the pouch. One of those things that appears very simple but at the same time makes you say "why didn't I think of that?"

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
Awesome to see that natural up there handling its business. I also really liked the part about the funeral for the coffee can.

Good luck to the two of you with this elastic and perhaps I'll look into finding some myself but first I have a lot of new red 32's to use up first!

·
Here to help and learn
781 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for taking a look and dropping a line...I really appreciate it, I always love to here what people have to say.

That antler looks good wearing the solids Nico. It's got a good shape to it as well, it kind of looks like it was meant for them.
Can't wait to here the chrony results, not that it really matters, I already know they are devastating with stones.

Sorry Phil, I had to do it......trust me we are in the same boat....my list of things to do and try out has started to occupy pages upon pages of notes! I'm falling behind and I just wish there was more time in a day.

Very cool, I love the fork! What wood is that?
It is in fact elm wood, not antler, I did say it up there but it's in a wall of text....easy to pass over......I think I should try and shorten my posts in the future?

It to wonder about its warm weather performance Lu, we can only wait, I'm sure they'll last until then with occasional shooting sessions.....their potential excites me.

Aamj, yes it is a very practical method of attachment. I have to say I was a bit worried about the security of the ties, but it has held up well. Also, this way the pouch my stretch out a bit, but you won't have holes ripping on you.

Again, I can't thank you enough for it Jmp, it has laid far more than one coffee can to rest in its time.
So far, they seem to be working out great, its good to see you made it home okay, I'm sure you'll do well to tear up that supply of reds with loads of shooting!

Update: 55 shots down range, all is well. I can hit the bottom of a new coffee can consistently at 10m now. I'd say about 6 or 7/10 with stones, good to me in the early going...

Take Care - John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.