Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts

I needed something to help me draw and sight fish's powerful Hunter Bands. My existing Y-fork could handle the forces, but wasn't ideal ergonomically, so together with my daughter, I designed a new slingshot as a gunsmith would design a target shooter's stock. I worked out the position my hand needed to be in to handle the stresses and then filled in what was needed to fill out the gaps.

As you can see, there's just the right amount of wood to cover the frame and no more.

It is held in a Hunter-style grip with the forefinger wrapped around. The effective fork height is a little under an inch. This helps reduce wrist strain when using heavy bands and this helps improve accuracy. Under tension, the metal frame is about vertical. A strong platform for the lower three fingers is also needed to maintain a proper grip. I have to stretch just a little bit and this unconsciously makes my fingers grip.

The fork tips were turned backwards for longevity and attached as fish recommends. I used a contrasting tie colour to aid sighting.

The frame is 3/16" mild steel plate which was sandblasted and phosphated coated in 2400 series ceramic Gun Kote in flat black to a thickness of .00045". This finish gives superior wear and corrosion resistance.

The grip has a rhomboid cross section. It doesn't look like it should shoot straight, but it does. It's just the way the hand is shaped.

The I used 8mm (5/16") carbon tubes for the pins. The bottom one goes all the way through. The top one stops a little below the surface at the front.

The design looks bulky and heavy, but Sheoak is light despite being a hardwood. In addition, I have heavily skeletonised the hidden parts of the frame. Below is what the frame looked like before final assembly. The total weight is about 6.5oz; 7oz including the bands and pouch.

You can see that I provided for a lanyard strap at the bottom to go round my wrist. In the end, I found it unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just trying to do something different but effective.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't get me wrong; I love traditional too. This site has lots of different styles from natural forks to Jörg's space age creations. New styles and cross fertilisation from other disciplines can only lead to a wider palette from which to paint each man's ideal picture.

·
Registered
316 Posts
That thing is quite nice Z... And if you don't kill any game when you shoot with it, you can always bludgeon em with that beast! Well done mate.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Superb work there mate, looks really nice.

·
Super Moderator
6,602 Posts
Man, there ain't nothing wrong with that design ZDP-I love it. Well you know me,if it's an Ergo,then it's for me! Very well done Buddy!
Flatband

·
Registered
855 Posts
Absolutely awesome! I can see your knifemaking skills shining through on this one, from the hollow pins to the skeletonizing of the "tang" of the metal section. I also like how the ends of the prongs are folded back to offer a smooth surface for the bands to slide over. So many tasty details in this one.

·
Resigned
1,152 Posts
Incredible workmanship.....a truly different catapult! I really love that! I think you have finally combined the ultra-ergonomics of the Spanish competition gomeras with the power of a Fish Hunter. I say this a lot on another forum and I'll say it again here "You can really tell when a knifemaker builds a catapult!"

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sure. I have a powerpoint file somewhere.

The process of shaping the wood is more troublesome to document. It involves carving and sanding to fit the hand. It's kind of "a bit more, a bit more.... oooh, perfect fit".

At least that's what she said.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The better it fits, the better it shoots for you. Its obvious you are a talented craftsman.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts