Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
So Many Marbles ------------- So Little Time ;-)
4,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been involved with slingshots from the time the very first Wham-O sling hit my hands around 1952 I was about 6 years old at the time. I can remember the very first shot when dad brought the slingshot home and I took it in the back yard with dad and could barely pull it back, let fly a small steel ball and hit the cloths line post and heard the ping --- I was hooked !

I then years later went to shooting a Weber "Sling-Bow" I still have a couple of them and then I had a "Com- Bow", a great slingshot, I loved it and I still have it.

From there I went and tried many different slings - Pocket Rockets, Wrist Rockets, Marksman's and I could go on and on, but I really was not until the internet and I found this site some 60 years later that my interest really peeked again and has not waned !

The last 9 years or so I have never shot as much and have leaned so much. I have bought MANY, I repeat MANY slingshots from China and many of them are very good and I shoot well with them. I have ordered slings from the big slingshot makers but for some reason most do not fit my personality and style. For me it is the a good quality Chinese tube type sling and the real sleeper of them all --- The $4.97 Daisy F-16 !

The F-16 has a good fork width and I can shoot very heavy large ammo if I wish. I can shoot flats or tubes with some simple ways of attachment. I can use it with the grip and store 3/8" steel in the handle for an emergency sling or have it set up with a paracord grip and finger sling where it is easy to carry, light and thin, yet very, very strong. The wire frame can be cut and re-bent and greatly modified as many of the very talented have done on this web site. I could go one but that is not the purpose of this post

This is just a rambling of all the great things a slingshot has to offer in the shooting sports world. A sling shot can be made from just about anything you can think of - go on the internet as see a very doable slingshot being made up of bent up wire and tape, the possibilities are endless.. You don't need any fancy rubber as rubber bands of varying sizes work, balloon elastic works very well and again your imagination is the only limit ! What about ammo, well besides steel balls of varying sizes and lead balls of varying sizes, you can shoot steel nuts to really put the hurt on something. OK, lets not forget rocks ..... I think Mr Rufus Hussey did pretty well with them ;- )

What Can be Done With This Kids Toy Called a Sling Shot !

Well many folks just use them for fun, but many use them for food gathering - any game that you can harvest using an expensive commercial sling you can take with a easily homemade slingshot - be it Pigeons, Rabbits, Squirrels or pest the size of an Opossum can be taken with a well placed shot and the right ammo.

One of the MAJOR advantages of a slingshot compared to other projectile devices is the fact ---they are very, very cheap, no paper work or anything else involved in making one. You can order part online all day long including ammo and no one is the wiser. They are silent and can fit in your pocket. As far as power, some of my F-16's with the right ammo and elastic have well over 12fpe and tremendous momentum. From 30 yards I have put a 1/2oz oval fishing weight through a 3/4 piece of sheet rock siding on an old building !! (That post is somewhere on this site from years ago).

To me it is pretty funny that when you mention slingshot to most folks in America most poo poo it. The Hispanic folks I work with use Resortera's in Mexico and take down all kinds of game. Go on line and watch the Vietnam shooters and see how they do. The slingshot is not to be taken lightly, it is a very serious tool for just about any shooting situation you can think of in the right hands.

Just me thinking out loud, now it is your turn ; -)

wll

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well said Will.
While watching Red Ryder on the only channel, one Sat. morning about 65 years ago, I managed to almost put my right eye out w/a natty......An 18 mile ride in a 50 studebaker (remember seeing 80+ mph on the speedo w/my good eye) got me to the hospital and the good Dr. fixed my eye......Left them alone until I saw Rufus on a video......Thanks Nathan, Bill & others for teaching me more about this sport..
Anyone w/marksman in their DNA has got to enjoy the challenges of this sport. Cheap- quiet- challenging fun. Thanks again & to this website.
g

·
Neophyte
2,006 Posts
Man, you are spot on! I don't know what it is about a bit of leather, latex, string and a fork of some kind that gets me going like nothing else :) such a simple and complex tool at the same time! and fun like nothing else! :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm a 'shooter', and I love to shoot.

But shooting the slingshot on a regular basis as I do, sure helps satiate my desire for shooting and marksmanship . . . And has saved me a ton of money by giving me a cheap, satisfying alternative to my (expensive-to-shoot) powder burners!

Thank God for slingshots!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have to chime in and give you a reference that can help other people who don't quite understand slingshots.

My dad is a huge golfer... 6 days a week and I am not a golfer no desire at all, but we can talk a common language because both Golf and slingshots take concentration your whole body and a small round object going into a Target.

Except I don't have to walk around to different catchboxes, I can stand in one place.

It gives me something to relate to my dad since golf is his life and it's a similar level of concentration and no matter how good you get you can always miss and take a crap shot. And hitting your target when you really mean to is the best feeling for both Golf and slingshot.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Hmmm golf and slings,Vince may be on to something here,much like frisbee golf,i bet a sling course could become quite popular,different terrains and obstacles and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
738 Posts
Our son is an avid golfer. I have tried for years and for whatever reason just don’t get the swing. I have a custom slingshot from A+ Slingshots designed to launch a golf ball. The tubes are so heavy that when I first started, I could barely get 80 yards. A they break in and I develop my shot sequence (it is different than my target slingshot shot sequence), I am now at a consistent 125 yards. I can sling (shepherd’s sling) a golf ball about 100 yards. I play frisbee golf with a shepherd’s sling and a tennis ball.

Would love to see golf courses be more accepting of alternative forms of golf. Primary problem is that the golfers complain about me when I use a sling or my golf ball launcher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts