Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take one of the old spurs and build a SS. I videoed the whole project including the first twenty shots. If I can figure out how to post the videos, I was planning on entering the contest. I am very pleased.

I did not destroy any thing so if the spur turns out to be valuable It can be put back together. After removing the rust, I un- covered very ornate Silver work. The whole spur was covered with it. Most of the inlays had worn off this one. The other spur was in better shape.

The antler and frame are not hard attached. The antler is tapered to fit. I routed out the pockets for the spur ends, with a dremel and carbide bit.

I am going to try various configurations of bands/tubes.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Geezum Crow, that's awesome!

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Excellent job! I was hoping you would make a slingshot out of one of those!!! AND you did! If the antler and spur are not permanently fixed may I ask how you secured the two?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Excellent job! I was hoping you would make a slingshot out of one of those!!! AND you did! If the antler and spur are not permanently fixed may I ask how you secured the two?
Thanks,

Look real close at the pict. The antler is tapered as it fits between the "spur flanges". The opening between the flanges (where the actual spur fits) is tapered. I sanded and fit many times to get a snug fit. The pockets that I dremeled are also a snug fit. As i matted the two together, I had to tap the bottom of the antler (with authority) until it was in it's place. It is quite difficult to remove. I have to pry. It is really solid and comfortable to hold.

We have a birthday soon! I'll be 56, 2 days before your 29. I was born Friday 13th. 1956

Attachments

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
Awesome WTBJR! great craftsmanship there. i like it! very unique, i'm glad it's comfortable to shoot too : ) birthdays coming up indeed! we should do a birthday trade!

(and i'm not suggesting you trade your spur!) that is a keeper

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.