Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have apricot trees in my back yard. The squirrels drive me absolutely %#@**$-ing crazy by stealing or ruining my food! So I am Apricotless. The law of my city says "no airguns" and I have an anti-gun, pro-squirrel neighbor. (Yeah, that's crazy, but I live in California, where crazy is the norm.) I've been trying to shoo away the squirrels with an old wrist rocket, scoring a hit (with nonlethal clay balls) maybe one time in 20. Thought I should be able to do better, started contemplating one of those slingshot rifles I've seen on eBay, went searching for online education, and found you guys! Woohoo!

Already discovered: Been aiming my SS wrong. Been using wrong type of SS. Just ordered a Scout, it should arrive in a few days, and am in learning mode. Thanks to all for participating in this forum and educating your ol' friend Apricotless.

·
Premium Member
9,941 Posts
Welcome friend, you have to be pro active with squirrels. Next thing you know they’ll be lookin for a new home close to their new found home. Namely your attic where there is lots of plant based insulation on your electric wires. ( from a member with a grudge against squirrels)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, what a warm welcome. Must be a friendly forum.

I don't mean to be the typical noob and ask questions I should rather be researching for myself, but regards Raja's comments about upgrading the ol' wrist rocket, what is the URL for "Fowler's Webpage"? Thanks!

To those who say:

"Squirrels be gone!"

"...grudge against squirrels" and

" ...just rats with bushy tails I hate 'em"

...I say AMEN!

Is there any slingshot ammo appropriate to use on squirrel-loving neighbors? (J/K).

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The easiest way to up grade a bent rod slingshot is to get rid of the original tubes and pouches and put on flat bands or decent tubes.

I just cut the original tubes even with the fork tips, roll the tubes back, lay the flat band on the rod and roll the tube over it. Here is an example I pulled from the modified slingshot section of the forum.

https://slingshotforum.com/topic/46089-trumark-s9-with-fatbands/page-1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I have apricot trees in my back yard. The squirrels drive me absolutely %#@**$-ing crazy by stealing or ruining my food! So I am Apricotless. The law of my city says "no airguns" and I have an anti-gun, pro-squirrel neighbor. (Yeah, that's crazy, but I live in California, where crazy is the norm.) I've been trying to shoo away the squirrels with an old wrist rocket, scoring a hit (with nonlethal clay balls) maybe one time in 20. Thought I should be able to do better, started contemplating one of those slingshot rifles I've seen on eBay, went searching for online education, and found you guys! Woohoo!

Already discovered: Been aiming my SS wrong. Been using wrong type of SS. Just ordered a Scout, it should arrive in a few days, and am in learning mode. Thanks to all for participating in this forum and educating your ol' friend Apricotless.
Airguns not legal ? In your part of the world ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome. Nothing wrong with a wrist rocket once you upgrade the band and pouch. Lots of information here, on Fowler's web page...
Found it? www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLjSScLBAtGMhWv2EJuOAePumPo5-SbzIb&time_continue=4&v=ZDgk6Q80zws

Airguns not legal ? In your part of the world ?
It's a city-wide ordinance, no airguns. It would be embarassing to get hauled in for a weapons violation...for a squirrel. And don't forget the neighbor; she is pro-squirrel & anti-gun, and my BB pistol makes quite a report when fired...not exactly stealthy. The one squirrel I bagged with my airgun, last year, had the bad manners to topple off my fence and into the neighbor's yard to die. Neighbor saw it, before I could dash into her yard to retrieve it. She didn't turn me in, but she was plenty upset. OTOH, slingshots are remarkably stealthy! And legal, as far as I can tell. Even when I miss, the squirrels move along to elsewhere. And when I manage to plonk one, they don't die, they just say "Hey cut it out, that smarts," and scoot along (I'm using clay balls.) I'm going OT here, but the slingshot is not my only tool in the war of the squirrels. Other items include: Havahart traps (they work), tack strips on the fence near the trees (they help), and recently, a Dancing Air Man...which works great. OK, sorry for the OT. Back to S-shots.

·
Registered
566 Posts
For the silent treatment I'd use tubes. Bands have a snappiness about them, but tubes are ninja quiet. The best tubes I've used and I've only used two brands are the ones from SimpleShot, though people do say good things about GZK tubes too. Dankung - pfft.

My ninja quiet catty is the XS dipped latex tubes (dipped latex is wonderful) used as singles with a small pouch. Handles BB's and 6 to 8 mm ball bearings and I'm sure it'll be ideal for your relatively lightweight clay ammo. When you gain some proficiency (it will come) those squirrels will be in a world of pain, your neighbor won't notice a thing and you'll be fat on apricot jam.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
LOL I love the story behind your moniker...

Very soon the squirrels are gonna hate you and you're gonna love them for being your supply of life targets. My "squirrels" are monkeys, long tailed macaques to be exact. I shoot them with clayshot. Don't wanna kill them, just give them a nasty bruise. They now respect my boundaries and bypass my home to terrorise my neighbours. I stash frames everywhere and even in my kitchen drawer so I'll always have one handy for the small window of opportunity when targets appear. I don't know what your neighbourhood is like and whether it is safe to shoot with steel but if I could, I would use steel or lead. Hex-nuts also work very well against small game if your range permits (cos they only fly straight for a short distance). Clayshot may kill it but you need to be accurate and have a set-up that punches through cans to ensure enough fps.

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I find it interesting that Californians are less offended by people randomly dropping trou and defecating on the sidewalk than the thought of a neighbor using a slingshot or heaven forbid an evil pellet gun in their own back yard. Just sayin..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 26 Posts