Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I shoot a lot of darts.
I've tried and destructive tested a Snipersling Kevlar glove and I've tested one of the cheap leather and metal plates gloves, which totally stopped the dart.
But I was unhappy that these type of gloves don't have a lot of finger protection, there are plates in the fingers but there are gaps between the large plate on the back of the palm and the plates in the fingers.
So I made up some aluminium plates and used 4mm pop rivets to attach them directly to the palm plate.
It now gives total coverage of hand and fingers and it retains dexterity because the plates aren't attached to the finger loops, so I can pick up and handle the darts - I just can't put my hand in my pocket!
Hand Eyewear Gesture Goggles Finger

Sleeve Eyewear Belt String instrument accessory Personal protective equipment

Joint Hand Sunglasses Sleeve Thigh

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
That ought to do the job! I don't shoot darts but i wonder if the design should absorb the impact rather than deflect it. Did the darts in the original glove design penetrate the material and get stuck?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the Kevlar glove the darts penetrated up to about 6mm through the other side and stuck in.
Absorbing the impact really isn't necessary, these darts only run at about 7ftlbs with the Snipersling bands so it's only necessary to stop the penetration of the pointy tip - there'll be no impact damage to worry about.
I've hit the back of my thumb with a 1oz lead ball at 24ftlbs and it hurt, but I was wearing one of the unmodified leather and plate gloves which did its job and prevented any lasting damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts