Slingshots Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now!  ENDING SOON

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Dayhiker's gypsy style slingshot I had to give it a try. I have made about 10 slingshots to this point, only one was a fork. Why unNatural? I messed with the fork quite a bit, took it down to heartwood, added finger grooves, grip checkering, and (I could not help myself) an ammo dispenser.
I really like the end result. The interesting thing to me is that with the gypsy tabs, no hand slap. I plan on changing the band to gum rubber once it arrives. Thanks for checking it out. Video link and picture below.
Chuck S.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wr32RGhu73o

·
Resigned
1,142 Posts
I like it, especially the red wrappings. I also like the interesting finger grooves. I give my seal of approval and would like to see more of your projects!

Like you, I don't miss the hand slaps a bit!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Very nice, well done mate 10 out of 10

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like it, especially the red wrappings. I also like the interesting finger grooves. I give my seal of approval and would like to see more of your projects!

Like you, I don't miss the hand slaps a bit!
Thanks jmplsnt. I took a close look at your posts on chained bands and the gypsy method of attachment before starting. I tried a set of chained bands, #64 bands from Staples, but they were not very good. I think I need better bands. I ordered some gum rubber to try out. I have another fork in the works. But the best thing NO hand slap! I really like that Buckthorn for a fork.

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
Great looking fork, working on my first natural also. I'd be happy if it turns out as nice as yours. I am about to put tabs on mine, what did you use for the wrapping? Like the contrast alot.
Philly

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Philly that is pre-waxed bowstring material, Dacron B-50. Since I have been making bows for the last 10 years or so, I have a lot on hand. It comes in many colors. Any Archery supply place would carry it, like Three Rivers. Have you had success making you rubber band chains?

Great looking fork, working on my first natural also. I'd be happy if it turns out as nice as yours. I am about to put tabs on mine, what did you use for the wrapping? Like the contrast alot.
Philly

·
Philly
2,576 Posts
MX, thanks, you can read about my experince with Staples bands in the post on bands. I,ll pick up some bow string serving this week. Fork is drying after three coats poly. So far it looks great.
Philly

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MX, thanks, you can read about my experince with Staples bands in the post on bands. I,ll pick up some bow string serving this week. Fork is drying after three coats poly. So far it looks great.
Philly
Hi Philly, serving material will work, but it typically is not waxed. That is bowstring, Dacron B-50. I think it works better than serving since it is waxed. I also wrapped it the same way you would serve a bowstring, so no visible knot at the end.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I bet it becomes second nature to your hand so, it is a natural 100%. Saludos,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.