Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking for something in the basement today, I came across a few interesting items: an old 3 feet aluminum tube with a .40 caliber inner diameter, some . 40 caliber 2 inch long blowgun darts that I picked up umpteen years ago who knows where, and some colorful plastic push pins with nice sharp tips... :naughty: .

A straightforward blowgun and ammo combination was thus established. I've never actually used a real blowgun, but I'll say, I was very impressed how those darts zipped along and dug their way into a sheet of plywood paced at about 10 yards in my garage area. It's getting a bit chilly outside here too, winter is on the doorstep.

Breathing in to full capacity was followed by connecting the mouth to the tube end, and using the tongue as a "valve" to release the built up lung air pressure behind the dart. For those who want to put up notices the fun way, a .40 caliber blowgun with push pins (like in the link) will get the job done with a thump. A perfect indoor occupation for those long winter evenings.... :D.

https://ca.dhgate.com/product/1000-pcs-multicolor-plastic-tacks-push-pins/405909993.html

Motivated to learn more about this very ancient shooting art, I started reading up about blowguns, and watching a few videos: this is how I came across this very well presented video on blowguns ("the blowgun channel").

I thought I'd share my interesting find with those of you wanting to try something different. I would also like to hear from those who've got some experience with blowguns, and what they would recommend in terms of the best blowguns and accessories on the market.

Definitely good fun.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
We made them as kids using conduit and sharpened clothes hanger sections wrapped with tape. Much more substantial than the commercial 40cal. ones availble. I wouldn't want to try to take game with one though. Not enough damage for a clean kill. Aboriginals poisoned their blowgun darts for a reason.

They are fun though and remarkably accurate.

·
Premium Member
3,096 Posts
Like duffman said. You can't buy them in Canada, but we always made them as kids from pvc Then in machining school, I made a 6' one from 3/4" copper pipe. Machined an aluminum mouthpiece, dart quiver and fore-grip. Painted the pipe with black bed liner. Made for a really nice gun.

Did a bit of pest control around the barn with it. Shot fast and accurate. But I always went back to a slingshot. Get a good shot on a rat or pigeon with a slingshot and it stops dead in its tracks. Shoot one with a broad head dart and it just nails to the barn boards and you have to dispatch it or if you can't reach it, watch it bleed out:( Very fun hobby and fun to shoot. But not fun to hunt with for me.

Although look up Tim wells on YouTube, he takes crazy game with the cold steel blowgun!! He takes black bear, rams, pigs you name it. But he loosens the flight on the back of the dart, so it stays on when the air is driving it, but comes off when it hits the target to let the dart penetrate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently got an aluminum tube about 2.5 meters for N$110 (around US$7.65). Wall thickness 1.9 mm, inside diameter 16 mm and I cut it down to 1.8 meter. I used a connector used for plumbing for the mouthpiece (filled it a bit to fit better over my mouth) as well as some plastic cover I found to make it look good. Then I covered the rest of the pipe with black electric tape. The piece I cut off I used to make a guide so that when I make my darts the cones are perfectly centered.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.