Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In today's world which has clearly gone mad it is so nice to forget about all the insanity and come here and talk about slingin projectiles.
I was spending all my spare time following current events and politics to the point of going insane. Always emotionally charged with a helpless, hopeless feeling of going through another day of anxiety.
So I say thank you to all of you for sharing the sport of slingshots and giving me something fun to focus on and leave the world's troubles behind..

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
This post was unexpectedly wholesome. Slingshots and this hub are indeed a sanctuary for many of us, the world can get as crazy as it wants.

It'll be hard pressed to keep us from having our fun!

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
Your right M Mars. This world has gone crazy. And with technology skyrocketing, and mainstream media desensitizing this generation so much to the very real things in life. It’s so nice to be able to turn off the Tv and radio, go outside, enjoy nature, slings some rocks at some cans, and go back to being a kid when everyday life was just so simple.

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
The world has always been nuts - look closely at the insanity of WW2. Our little escapist hobby is good therapy and pressure relief, but sticking your head in the sand is unwise. There's much to think about - what if (for a variety of reasons) the grid goes down for an extended period - no internet, electrical power, banking, sanitation, gasoline, etc, etc - have you thought this thru or made any plans? Hulla Baloo touted one of many authors that has given this A LOT of thought - James Wesley Rawles.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The world has always been nuts - look closely at the insanity of WW2. Our little escapist hobby is good therapy and pressure relief, but sticking your head in the sand is unwise. There's much to think about - what if (for a variety of reasons) the grid goes down for an extended period - no internet, electrical power, banking, sanitation, gasoline, etc, etc - have you thought this thru or made any plans? Hulla Baloo touted one of many authors that has given this A LOT of thought - James Wesley Rawles.
That's what God made AR15s for

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Yeah cute, but self defense will be only a small percentage of the myriad problems we'll face. Got shovels to dig your own latrines bc there's no power to run the sewage pumps for 6-8 months? Stockpiled first aid kits, a large supply of your medications, not to mention food?

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah cute, but self defense will be only a small percentage of the myriad problems we'll face. Got shovels to dig your own latrines bc there's no power to run the sewage pumps for 6-8 months? Stockpiled first aid kits, a large supply of your medications, not to mention food?
God helps those who help themselves.
What do you think?

·
Premium Member
3,183 Posts
I think it is true that we can’t live mindless of what’s going on, but you can’t dwell on what’s happening in the world either. I know from personal experience that you can become infatuated with the news and politics to a point off depression and worry all the time. And for what? Being sick all the time won’t make any difference. I think.... be smart about what you let into your home. Take time to enjoy your family and friends. Explore and take care of this wonderful planet God created for us. And when something bad happens you will be In the right mindset to deal with the situation. And slingshots are an amazing, fun way to get your mind away from the hustle and bustle off this crazy life.

·
Mr. Mars
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it is true that we can't live mindless of what's going on, but you can't dwell on what's happening in the world either. I know from personal experience that you can become infatuated with the news and politics to a point off depression and worry all the time. And for what? Being sick all the time won't make any difference. I think.... be smart about what you let into your home. Take time to enjoy your family and friends. Explore and take care of this wonderful planet God created for us. And when something bad happens you will be In the right mindset to deal with the situation. And slingshots are an amazing, fun way to get your mind away from the hustle and bustle off this crazy life.
Exactly, glad to see you get my point. It's got nothing to do with burying my head in the sand. If the need arises, BRING IT ON?
In the meantime, let's have fun.
Hehehehe

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would say that the world has always been nuts, but that we are fortunate to live in our present times, particularly when you look at what young age people died just 150-200 years ago, and only a minority had what could be called a good living standard: there was no such thing as a middle class (which is under pressure these days).

If anything, we are living in an era of peace and prosperity, have had 75 years of peace in the western world, and are able to contemplate living to a ripe old age if we do things right. Clearly, there are serious issues around the globe, but it is precisely the immediate dissemination of information by the international media that draws our attention to critical events (bad news is what sells best, right?). There is nothing wrong with just ignoring some of it.

Counting my lucky stars, enjoying all the small positive things in daily life, and not getting too involved with the doom and gloom in the daily news is my approach to dealing with a world that has always been in upheaval in some way or another. When I take out my slingshot and focus on the target, I am able to switch off completely from the daily grind.

Think positive, and go and nail those tin cans with your slingshot. :)

·
aka CYBORG
2,060 Posts
Apologies for veering this happy thread. I try to live in a state of awareness but not worry. Modern living is fragile, dependent, and vulnerable to all manner of calamities, man made and natural. The solar storm of 1921 was strong enough to knock out our modern grid and satellite system combined. Yep, stay positive, happy ... and strong.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
I was working in a Super K-mart on the eve of Y2K. People were going nuts with purchases of everything, mostly on credit cards. One guy asked what I was doing, "Just in case." I replied, "I'm collecting the addresses of all of the people that come through here buying stuff." I don't feel that he was amused. :naughty:

·
Aimstinctivist
774 Posts
Any sane man must collect respites. I have many. There's slingshooting and the fine members of this forum, gum chewing, and pondering outrageous space facts. August is Neutron Star month:

• A neutron star carries 1.5 times the mass of our sun, but it's only 12.4 miles in diameter!
  • A teaspoon of material from a neutron star would weigh 1 billion tons!
  • If you dropped a marble from 3 feet onto a neutron star, it would impact the surface traveling 4.5 million miles per hour!

I pray the Rosary when I shoot. I fill my mind with a mystery and let the Lord have my hands. As a marksman He ain't half bad, and I bet He could have made some highly collectible frames. :)

Peace brothers-

·
Registered
601 Posts
I stopped watching TV and all its "fake" news back in 2009. Instead, I have a little after-dinner routine most nights where I peruse the day's news on several of my favorite (and most trusted) websites. And then, when I've had enough of the 'CRAZY', its time to settle in and finish the night out with a final reading of the latest 'goings-on' in the slingshot world . . . which always totally shifts my brain into a much more relaxed and enjoyable state.

Whether its reading about them, shooting them, or just thinking about them, . . . slingshots are most definitely my preferred escape from the 'CRAZY'. B)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts