Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Hello,

the compound slingshot concept for flat bands was a very good and popular idea. I got many positive comments about it.

So I decided to work some more on the concept. I wanted to get rid of the guide rod that is necessary so the bands won't slip of the rollers, and also I wanted a design that has no forward extended rods for the bands so the hand is not in the way.

The solution: Wider pulleys and a more straight band attachment method. The slingshot that came out is a bit bulky, but very beautiful (I think). The ball bearings in the wide stainless steel pulleys make the action super smooth.

It is shot with the bands set up like in the first picture, the second picture is just to show the attachment method.

This is a very fast shooting slingshot! Let me know what you think.

Jörg

·
Banned
913 Posts
Another masterpiece from zie miester! Is it just as powerful as the the compound W? Are you coming out with a compound gloveshot as well?

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Looks very nice!!

Question. Are the bands attached differently between the two pictures? It looks like the first picture has the bands attached after looping under the mounts, and the second one has them mounted directly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
very impressive! I have watched all you vids... you do have some talent! Excellent!

as a matter of fact it was your youtube vids that made me start to really think about the non-braced ones... now I'm really excited about getting back into this sport... well, new sport really, I have never once shot a non braced slingshot... I can't wait for my dankung to get here!

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Question. Are the bands attached differently between the two pictures? It looks like the first picture has the bands attached after looping under the mounts, and the second one has them mounted directly.
No, the second picture simply shows the other side! The first pic shows it ready for the action. This is the way how it is shot.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
No, the second picture simply shows the other side! The first pic shows it ready for the action. This is the way how it is shot.
[/quote]

Hmmm. My eyes are certainly deceiving me then.... becasue I still think the bands at the bottom in the first pic look wider than the second.

·
Registered
855 Posts
In other words, both pics are of the front of the slingshot (the side that faces away from the shooter). The first pic shows the bands in position for use, while the second pic shows them looped over the rollers backwards to show how they are attached.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
In other words, both pics are of the front of the slingshot (the side that faces away from the shooter). The first pic shows the bands in position for use, while the second pic shows them looped over the rollers backwards to show how they are attached.
Oh, I see! Duh!

·
Super Moderator
6,602 Posts
Really Nice Joerg! Excellent idea with the rollers in a "V" shape. On other pulley-roller designs drag was always an issue. This negates it. I think you can even take the design further (and I know you thought of it too). Extend the attachment prongs downward another 6-7 inches from the bottom of the handle add a Palm strap for more strength,this will increase the drawlength even further and give more stability and more importantly- MORE POWER!!!!!!!! Great work Bud!
Flatband

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Extend the attachment prongs downward another 6-7 inches from the bottom of the handle add a Palm strap for more strength,this will increase the drawlength even further and give more stability and more importantly- MORE POWER!!!!!!!!
Flatband, indeed I though about this. But if I use more extension, then I won't be able to use my full draw length, I am already pulling this band set to my half butterfly stance.

One thing I found out about extended forks is that you neet to use thinner bands. If you stay with the same band width, then the longer bands will result in more rubber molecules to be stretched. This brings you to the limit of your personal strength very soon. So you won't be able to stretch the rubber in full.

The advantage of the extended fork slingshots is simply the longer acceleration phase. There is less dead play in the setup. But there comes a point where this does not work anymore. If you have eliminated all the dead play and further you found your maximum band width/length, then you hit the end of the road.

Jörg

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Excellent innovation. This design will add power and speed without increasing pull force. I can’t wait for the test results.

·
Banned
913 Posts
I wonder which is the more efficient design in terms of performance: the compound W seems like the bands have less interferance from the rollers due to less angulation from their attachment points. YY(or more accurately, the VY) is of course more compact, but I wonder if there is a loss there?

Once again you really are on to the goods I think, Joerg. Don't stop now, keeep it coming. I get so excited when I see your devices pop up, and know I'm not alone.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Is it really a compound slingshot that has similarities to that of a compound bow has to a recurve bow?
I wouldn't say so. In fact, I haven't seen a slingshot yet that looks like it truly achieves the purpose of a compound bow, which is to allow a heavy draw but light hold (i.e. "letoff"). I believe the term has a differnet meaning when it comes to slingshot design. When referring to a slingshot as a "compound," I believe we are talking about a slingshot that somehow "compounds" the velocity of the projectile in some way, without necessarilly increasing the draw weight. Other's opinions may differ, of course.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pelleteer, you are right, a compound bow uses excentrical cams and therefore reduces the strain in drawn out condition. That does not work with slingshots.

I couldn't really find a universal definition of the term "compound", but MY definition for slingshots is "a slingshot that features moving parts in order to enhance the performance".

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
Why wouldn't it be possible to use excentric cams to use with a slingshot? I have often wondered about that. Seems very hard to experiment with at home with limited resources.

·
Banned
913 Posts
Why wouldn't it be possible to use excentric cams to use with a slingshot? I have often wondered about that. Seems very hard to experiment with at home with limited resources.
What are those? I really like the cams on the Saunders models, It would be great if they could be machined from steel. is that what you are referring to?

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I'm just thinking about the type of cams they use on compound bows, that once the cams flip around on the draw, it eases up quite a bit on pull weight to enable shooter to hold at full draw with less strain.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts