Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an old one. I think it may be one of the earliest commercially produced slingshots.

It was patented in 1918 and as far as I know, the first advertisements for it were in a 1927 magazine. This is a very small slingshot.

It looks like it was an Over The Top band attachment method and the bands were probably red gum rubber ( innertube ) cut at around 3/8"-1/2" wide judging by the width at the top of the prongs.

Made out of Aluminum I think ( don't have a magnet handy ) it certainly fit the description of a "Pocket Slingshot". Cool little slingshot. I'll put the dimensions below:

Height - 5 1/8 inches

Width - 2 7/8 inches

Thickness - 3/16 inches

Handle Width - 7/16 inches

Throat Opening - 2 1/4 inches

Throat Depth - 1 3/4 inches

Width at top of prong - 5 1/6 inches

DSC02301.jpg DSC02300.jpg DSC02299.jpg DSC02298.jpg DSC02297.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,583 Posts
I figured it would have been bigger. The fork tips are tiny. I like that little guy. My Dad used to talk about the red gum rubber, he said it made better bands than it did inner tubes. Thanks for showing us this one buddy.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Cool, I've only ever seen pictures of them online. I always thought they were bigger too.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great information Scott! Pretty slick of them with the use of protective tape. Good stuff Bud!

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Thanks Gary, always wanted to get one and rig it up as in the patent description, just never got around to it.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Cool little slingshot Proshot UK used to sell a reproduction not sure if they still do. The original patent shows that the frame was originally slightly different, and the way the bands were attached to the forks and pouch was pretty unique, it uses a adhesive tape to protect the bands from the binding at both the forks and pouch then covered with a rubber "collar" . link to patent below

https://patents.google.com/?q=slingshot&q=F41B3%2f02&before=priority:19181231&after=priority:19180101
Many thanks for posting, fascinating to see all the how it should / will be

·
Registered
927 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts