Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
Hmmm. I am not sure his math and assumptions are good. In the table showing results, he showed that he was pulling the tapered band to 36" but the conventional to only 24". Longer draw distance will result in a faster projectile due to longer distance to accelerate.

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
The main advantage of tapered bands is the reduced weight that they must accelerate. In other words the tapered bands just don't weigh as much straight bands and yet the acceleration is nearly as quick, there fore lighter draw weight will perform nearly as well as a much heavier draw weight of straight bands. Also because of surface area and molecular patterns in thin bands they perform better than thick bands, especially in cold weather. Tex

·
Tex-shooter
4,493 Posts
I had met Rodney In 2001 (I think) and had talked to him about bands at that time. He understood the importance of reduced weight toward the pouch and also reduced weight of the pouch. He made the best tubular bands that I have shot and had the smallest pouch on his bands that I had seen. He is one reason I make small pouches today. Blue Skeen and Ivan Glen influenced me on the thin bands and caused me to do research on the molecular string of latex. I still like thin flat tapered latex bands best. Tex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.