Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was wondering what everyone's opinion was on Thera band gold. I bought a pack of it and so far I have gone through 2 band sets in what seemed like a short amount of time.

I am using the slingshot channel band calculator to figure out my band size.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
388 Posts
All I know is that thera band gold was used a lot before I even got into slingshots and is still being used, but since joining this forum I have learned many things and one of them is about bands. Being able to buy bands specifically for slingshot shooting is not hard at all and it is the way to go since they are made for the sport. Also the way you tie your bands to the pouch and to the sling makes a difference bad well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I know is that thera band gold was used a lot before I even got into slingshots and is still being used, but since joining this forum I have learned many things and one of them is about bands. Being able to buy bands specifically for slingshot shooting is not hard at all and it is the way to go since they are made for the sport. Also the way you tie your bands to the pouch and to the sling makes a difference bad well.

I have got to use some black gzk bands from Simpleshot and they are definitely better than my homemade bands. But I am a serious DIY kinda guy and I really would like to get good at making my own.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Same here, just buy some band rolls from SS and you are set you can make your own band sets with proper slingshot ruber. Thera band gold is around .62 and .65 in thickness incase you where curious and you can get some ss elastic with that same thickness and still make your own

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same here, just buy some band rolls from SS and you are set you can make your own band sets with proper slingshot ruber. Thera band gold is around .62 and .65 in thickness incase you where curious and you can get some ss elastic with that same thickness and still make your own

I was thinking about that. I might play with the TBG ala Jorge Sprave and make some crazy stuff

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I was a pretty staunch TBG user and I still like it. I haven't had any issues with my bands breaking too soon, but if you pay attention you will realize that they lose their initial resistance fairly quickly. You'll have to either keep making them shorter to make up for the change in elasticity, pull them back further, or get used to the changing velocity and point of impact. There's really no comparison between TBG and the modern elastics available. I've pretty much settled on Precise .60 (3rd gen) and USOPP .7. Buy a roll of the new stuff and DIY to your hearts content!

·
Ray Rowden
2,706 Posts
I've about used up the remainder of my TBG. I may not buy more, largely because there are so many options now that just sampling it will keep me stocked up with latex.

It's a solid performer. Just about anything true of latex is true of TBG. So what you learn cutting it and shooting it will apply to other latex. So, I'd say, use it!

Learn to customize you bandsets.

If the life is shorter than you like, cut your bands a little longer so they stretch less.

If the resulting cut reduces the ammo speed too much, add a little width.

Have fun!

·
Registered
662 Posts
I no longer buy theraband any more because the simpleshot black roll is more band for your buck and last a heck of a lot longer.

Also for your bands sets breaking depends on where you are getting breaks. If at the pouch you may be pinching the rubber with your tying method. If it breaks at the forks then you have some sharp edge that needs sanded down finer. In the middle of the bands means it wasn't long enough and over stressing the rubber.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
I've been using TBG for a little while now. I've always had them break at the pouch. I adjusted the tying method and haven't had an issue since. Just spend another $35 on a box today matter a fact. Many things come in to play when making your own bands. Just take your time you'll get it.

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well safety wise that's the best place to fail . How many shots r u getting ? Is it new stuff could be a little old .
Its is as lil old. I had thought about that. On the bright side I just recieved my Axiom from simple shot with 2 extra bandsets.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts