Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got off from work early on New Year's Eve. Stopped on the way home and "discovered" a local sandpit. I spent some time shooting at a piece of wood floating in the water and having a good time.

The night previous, I had spent some time making my first sets of bands. It was a bit of an exercise in frustration, but I had fun, just the same. The great thing about buying from GZK is the freebies that are influential in my experimentation. I decided to try some lighter bands and I had received some GZK white that is marked as .58 and I cut them at 1/2" to 3/4" taper. I also went to a longer piece of rubber, for a greater drawl length. So... When I finished up at the sand pit, I hurried home to play with my new sets of bands.

I set up my shooting alley and commenced to throwing steel downrange. I'm still a little all over the place, my release just sucks, but I did learn that the lighter bands make a big difference in figuring out what I am doing. I also had my first ever fork hit, just due to pure experimentation and learning what NOT to do! I shot a lot, thanks to the lighter bands and I got to play with some different stances and release techniques. Even though I have lights, I cleaned up and headed in before it got dark.

So, onto the things I know:

I know that discovering slingshots was one of the best things I ever did. It's so fun to be able to plink in the back yard without drawing any attention to myself. It's challenging and the possibilities in experimentation are nearly endless, plus I have the expert opinions of others that have gone before me.

I know that this forum has been a great resource, even though I haven't necessarily figured out who's who and what's what, I have felt very welcomed and encouraged. Great fellowship to be found right here.

I know that slingshots are an inexpensive way to blow off steam, exorcise some creative demons and to have fun without spending a lot of cash.

I know I need to do something about my catch box. My shipping carton with a moving blanket suspended inside isn't really working well, anymore. Big chunks missing and now I'm getting more bounce-outs. It's fine, there is nowhere for them to go, just annoying. So I will be building something, very soon.

Things I think I know:

I think I know that I really like lighter bands. I can shoot longer and work on my hold and release much easier and I still get a ball downrange. I'm going to experiment with even lighter bands and some smaller ammunition. I'm thinking about going into the high .40's for band thickness and 1/4" ammo. My simple mind tells me that once I get reasonable with lighter bands and ammo, it will be easier to step back up to heavier bands and bigger ammunition.

I think I know that I'm a TTF shooter, though admittedly, I haven't given OTT a chance, yet. I am planning, however, to set up my light band slingshot as an OTT shooter. I might have to make the ultimate sacrifice and purchase/build another frame, just to set up as a light band, OTT shooter. I have been thinking about getting a Chinese style peghead sling for this endeavor. Or, making a sling. Not sure, yet.

I think I know I like a little longer draw. I was anchoring behind my ear, but now find that I like drawing my shoulder further back to full draw. I haven't tried opening my elbow angle any, yet, but I do like the sight plane down my bands and being able to see the entire thing. I think.

I think I know that I want to build some slingshots. I have some ideas, not sure how I will do on the followthrough.

I think I will go out to my shed, now and putter around some. Maybe even shoot a few pieces downrange. Just because I can!

Happy New Year, everybody! Looking forward to spending 2020 getting to know this great hobby even better.

Mark

·
SLING-N-SHOT
4,179 Posts
Yep, you've definitely contracted the same thing the rest of us caught...it's called Slingshotitus, and isn't something you can just wash off my friend, lol.

Nice to hear you're experimenting to figure out whet you shoot best, and give natural builds a try, very rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, you've definitely contracted the same thing the rest of us caught...it's called Slingshotitus, and isn't something you can just wash off my friend, lol.

Nice to hear you're experimenting to figure out whet you shoot best, and give natural builds a try, very rewarding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Naturals are on my list!

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts