Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The precise 0.75 yellow I ordered arrived. I went on to cut a band set, 19/14 taper, at my usual 500% elongation.
I didn't expect what happened. The draw weight is double that if 0.8 gzk tapered 18/12...... I mean come on guys, I understand an elastic being stiffer, but this....this is unshootable like that.
The power is extreme, flat trajectory to 15 meters, and maybe more, haven't tried.
What gives now? Should I cut some bands thinner, let's say 15/10, or use a larger active length? What is the correct way to go about it? I already cut a strio 18cm long, so I can't get much more active length than 15cm.
Any advice welcome.

Edit" just measured the thickness. It's not 0.75, as advertised, but 0.84 thick....that should explain a lot I guess.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the piaoyu store. They are generally very reliable though. You think it may be counterfeit?

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Listen now to what happened. They stretch A LOT. Took them out, measured again, and sure enough they settled to 0.76, and they are longer now. I don't know if they will stretch any more though. I cut them 16/11 and added 5mm to the active length. They still pull 1kg more than gzk 0/8 and their power is extreme.
It's early to make a final judgement, but for now they seem more suitable for hunting than target shooting.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gzk definitely has the better formula. I don't know about longevity yet, but consistency is with gzk's side.
The only thing they got right on the box is the logo. I am really "precise" with them.
Oh well, they have a learning curve, as every band has I guess.
I will not be ordering this thickness again though, next time I will get either the 0.7 or the 0.65 precise.
I am still waiting for gzk 0.72 to arrive though.
I really need to find a latex that will be my main choice and stop experimenting. I hope gzk 0.72 will deliver.

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
I had to cut precise much longer. They're stiff and don't last long. You'll like the GZK .72. It's much more pleasurable to shoot. Good luck

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had to cut precise much longer. They're stiff and don't last long. You'll like the GZK .72. It's much more pleasurable to shoot. Good luck
It is fast, I give it that. But having to add 1-1.5cm active length is something I don't like.
0.75 and it acts like 1mm gzk...go figure.
Good thing I've ordered only one roll, but 2 rolls gzk 0.72 ????
When I get home I'll cut a 16/12 taper, increase the active 1 cm, and tomorrow we'll see how it'll behave.

·
See The Target
21,440 Posts
I recently ordered the Precise .75 and .7 mm from Snipersling Slingshots . I have only started shooting the .7 mm . I have noticed exactly what you described . What I'm doing is down sizing the taper . This also allowed a reduced band length . ( More stretch to narrower band width ) It seems pretty good so far . I haven't even been through one band set so I need to continue to shoot and keep an open mind . Using a narrower band can be a possible advantage . I bought a total of four rolls so we will see . In any case its seems like a good product so far . Just different . Possibly better ? We shall see in time .

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I haven't tried the heavier Precise but I do enjoy the .40mm Apple Green and .55mm Yellow. I even ordered a second roll of Yellow that arrived a couple of days ago. The Yellow works great with .177" to 3/8" steel. The Apple Green seems sweet with .177" to 5/16".

I made the same mistake that you did when I started with the Apple Green. I wanted more power so went doubles with the thin .40mm material. It was a beast to draw and the power was not great. I changed to 7/8" x 5/8" singles and it was better but still a bit stiff. I'm now down to 3/4" x 1/2" and it feels like a different band. The draw weight is way down and speed is good. You can read the review for details.

The Precise Yellow doesn't seem to stack much at all. When I want reasonable power I shoot 6 1/2" length and draw it to 32". This sends 5/16" steel at 244 fps and 3/8" at 212 fps with a 9.5 lb draw weight. Band life is good.

Possibly you are still figuring out the Precise bands. Don't assume that even thicknesses with GZK will be identical in performance. You likely have to cut narrow with the .75mm. As was mentioned, try 12mm straights (1/2") or 16/8 or 17/9. Try going skinny at the pouch end. Your original 19/14 cut is higher than any suggested by DanKung.

A band that requires a different cut isn't necessarily inferior. You just have to figure it out. I'm looking forward to reading your results and the comparison to the .72mm GZK.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I think it's the case, is that precise is simply much more dense. If that's true, then I suppose it's of higher quality.
I will try a 14/12 taper, at 500% elongation and see what happens.
Treefork, please do share your results, if you find a good setup for 3/8 steel.

·
See The Target
21,440 Posts
What I think it's the case, is that precise is simply much more dense. If that's true, then I suppose it's of higher quality.
I'm currently using the .7mm but the results should be close . I cut a 1/2 " x 3/8" for my first try. This is sending the 3/8" steel very nice at 10 meters . I would say that even a bit smaller cut for the .75mm yellow thickness . That chart above looks pretty good also . I will be testing the yellow .75 mm soon . I will let you know .

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm currently using the .7mm but the results should be close . I cut a 1/2 " x 3/8" for my first try. This is sending the 3/8" steel very nice at 10 meters . I would say that even a bit smaller cut for the .75mm yellow thickness . That chart above looks pretty good also . I will be testing the yellow .75 mm soon . I will let you know .
Thanks Treefork, greatly appreciated.
Two things I've found out about precise and......band cutting in general....
First, DONT make bandsets when you return home from work, tired, late at night, just DON'T. I made one last night after work, and I wanted to use Treefork's measurements. What I ended up with was a bandset tapered 19/11....after I tested the draw weight, it dawned on me to check his post, and yeah, I was....."slightly" off ????
Anyway, this bandset has 5kg draw weight, and it chugs 3/8 steel at hunting speeds, we are talking extreme power here. I will keep it and shoot it to failure, just to see the longevity of precise with such a drastic taper.
Second thing I've learned, and I suppose it goes for every band, is.....pre-stretch! Yep, stretch them near maximum s few times before you tie them to the pouch and mark for active length.
I cut my strips 18cm long, and after stretching them a bit, they became......18.5cm.... Half a cm may not seem much, but when they stretch during shooting, and most probably unevenly, it may be cause of inconsistencies. Keep in mind I don't shoot cans, so every little bit counts. I guess that this is true for every latex out there, but not sure yet.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Shot about 150-180 shots till now. Took the bands out to measure, and voila, they stretched another half cm, for a grand total of 1cm from when freshly cut. Re-attached with a corrected length, my accuracy improved immediately, not hugely, but enough to be noticeable.
I dont know what to think of this. Is it probable that they simply don't like a 500% elongation?
If I add 2cm to the active length, and take it from 15cm to 17, there is a possibility they won't stretch as much and retain their form, who knows?
Performance wise they are super fast, no worries there. But I do need to make them behave consistently.
It's also possible that ALL bands behave like that, and I just noticed. This ocularis system makes it too easy to take out the bands and put them on again ????

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stopped today's practice early because it's cold and because I got 7/10 on the 4cm target. Counted the shots, 166 total, and no visible tears on the bands. Speed is extreme in 15°c or 59°f for my fellow Americans.
So, in about 130 shots, the bands stretched 1cm. I did shoot better than in months though, even with the heavy draw, but we all know it's not the bands, but me correcting them whenever I realized that a change of posture is necessary to hit the target. Up till now, whenever that happened, I thought that I was at fault, but now I know 1000% that I have the basics down, and when I need to change something up, or get a flyer, the bands are at fault. Guys, this is because I take a highly technical approach to shooting, doing exactly the same to the millimeter. so I can't adjust easily to slight band variations. When I shoot instinctively it's much easier to shoot with half a band though, but I am a bit less consistent overall, so I need to figure out a band setup that will give me the best results.
Many of you will wonder why I would go to such lengths, as I don't compete, but my answer is that even if I don't compete, every practice shot I take, is a shot I imagine taking while competing alongside all the top shooters I admire. That's fun for me, even though I get very anxious and nervous during practice because I actually convince myself of the fantasy. That's probably the reason I shoot better and more relaxed when in company of better shooters.
God, even I get tired of my rumblings sometimes ???? sorry guys ????

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
The 19/11 at 5kg draw weight sounds like a reasonable bandset to shoot. You could even cut a 1mm strip off the edge to give you 18/10 and see how it performs. You might get it to stretch a little more with less draw weight. Then go down another mm to 17/9 and test. You can do it all with the same bandset.

·
See The Target
21,440 Posts
I broke open the .75 mm yellow and cut a 1/2 " x 3/8 " with a small bb pouch for my 38 " draw length . Working very well . Smooth , quiet and fast . I was shooting 3/8 " steel it at 66 feet . Nice flight . So with that I know I'm in the ball park . Not claiming optimal but very good set . Always trust your instinct with slingshot related issues . :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@Northerner
The tapers are easy to figure out, the active length is what bothers me because the bands stretch and stay elongated after a few shots.

@Treefork
Yeah, only now, after 6-7 months, I started recognising that I have to heed my instinct sometimes, and the results are pretty good :)
Oh, for your 38" inch draw, how much active length are you using?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts