Slingshots Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have bird feeders in the garden and recently have at least one unwelcome visitor to the feeders. A big rat! Maybe my slingshots will have a useful purpose after all. However I believe it is technically illegal to shoot a rat with a slingshot or bow where I'm from. This combined with my relatively poor shooting skills means I will probably use other methods. I may just stop feeding the birds.

But anyway i have been practicing on rat sized objects from long range. Quite different to the sort of shooting I'm used to. I am using a large starship with Black Thera tubing and 0.75 inch lead balls. At a range of 30 yards, there is significant drop which makes the shot hard to judge. But even at this distance, the big lead balls go through 1/4 inch plywood like it's not even there.

·
Resigned
5,563 Posts
I have bird feeders in the garden and recently have at least one unwelcome visitor to the feeders. A big rat! Maybe my slingshots will have a useful purpose after all. However I believe it is technically illegal to shoot a rat with a slingshot or bow where I'm from. This combined with my relatively poor shooting skills means I will probably use other methods. I may just stop feeding the birds.

But anyway i have been practicing on rat sized objects from long range. Quite different to the sort of shooting I'm used to. I am using a large starship with Black Thera tubing and 0.75 inch lead balls. At a range of 30 yards, there is significant drop which makes the shot hard to judge. But even at this distance, the big lead balls go through 1/4 inch plywood like it's not even there.
Use a trap a live trap then call and have it picked up by the authorities. Hate to injure something even a rat without a clean kill. Oh I know how bout a 22 pellet rifle with a nipple silincer.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts

I live in england and i shoot rats with my slingshots, rats cause a lot of desease, when they walk they dribble pee, if you have dogs dont leave your feed bowls down cos i know of people that have lost there dogs through rats drinking and feeding out of there bowls,
if you cant hit them trap them, jeff

·
Registered
855 Posts
I agree. If your shooting isn't up to par yet, trap the rascal. You can live trap him and finish him off up close or use a kill trap (though this might pose a danger to the birds). In any case, use gloves when handling the body.

·
Brotherhood Of The Slingshot Nutz
2,153 Posts
I know this is a slingshot forum, but a blowgun with a broadhead dart will take a rat and with just a little practice they are extremely accurate. I hate rats! If you find one, there are ten more you haven't seen! I shoot them with slingshots too, but at close range a blowgun with a broadhead dart is deadly!

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately, blowguns are banned where I live. Also, all crossbows and any air gun >1 joule require a permit, they are basically treated like firearms. Bows cannot be used for hunting, not even for vermin. Airguns can be used but I doubt a rat would notice if he was shot with a 1 joule airgun!

Oh and anything which discharges a noxious substance is banned - so no pepper spray either

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sarge said:
Surely you jest! 1 joule wouldn't be much more than a BB gun.
Nope, it's true. In Ireland, any airgun above 1 joule needs a permit from the police. In the UK there is also a threshold beyond which you need a permit. But at least there the threshold is a fairly useful 12 ft/lbs for an air rifle or 6 ft/lbs for an air pistol

·
Registered
56 Posts
here is an idea!....move someplace with less rules!
ha just kiddn' i wanna see Ireland so bad you wouldnt believe it. i live far enough out in the country that if i wanna dump a clip of 7.62x39 out of my ak-47 at a rat i can (and have
) but I say shoot at it with your slingshot, even if your not the best of shots, it sounds like your shooting hard enough to kill, no matter where you hit it. I have killed tons of rabbits with my slingshot with "not so great" of shots. the fact is, if you pack enough punch even a bad shot will stop its little heart. and if you miss, well then you just get to try again tomorrow
practice makes perfect after all
Im all for making a clean kill but when it comes to rats and pidgeons ...lead in the air! is what I say. good luck with your rat problem:)

oh and follow pelleteers advice and use gloves! those l;ittle buggers can have some nasty diseases.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the responses! Statikpunk, I agree with your thoughts on power and shot placement. I reckon my current setup is shooting at at least 45 ft/lbs. A solid impact on any part of a rat body is probably going to be gory. Thinking more about this though, I am reluctant to shoot at anything living, even a rat. Have never hunted or killed anything. Maybe the live trap method is best.

Funny how some of the most powerful slingshots on this forum belong to those with no little or no interest in hunting

·
Registered
273 Posts
Funny how some of the most powerful slingshots on this forum belong to those with no little or no interest in hunting
Interesting thought, I think most of us in youtness (for me hal century ago) started as little poachers and cover killers. But ageing you look at any kind of lives (rats excepts for me
) as rearlly precious. So you become reluctant to shut it. But this has nothing to do with slinghshot passion. There is (as in bow) an art of the perfect shoots thats is what rearly fascinate me. But I do not blame intesinves hunters too, I joined the lust of stalking and hitting, and if random a met e good prey..... here is again is more a matter of the art of shotting than the kill itself, and probability are way more for the hunted. Sorry, b d english hope you all undestrad.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Your not gonna eat it (at least I hope not
) So lead for ammo is a great option here, in my opinion. It packs so much more force and causes much more trauma than steel shot. I'd definitely be testing out lead with those buggers. You can't use it much for anything (not if you wanna eat it) so I'd use lead when eating is not an option.

Then again, rat is a delicacy in many countries.

·
Registered
56 Posts
WOW! arb 45 ft/ibs that is a ton! how did you calculate that? you would incinerate a rat. anyway if you are morally against killing, well thats fine, nothing wrong with that. but if your not shooting it just because it would be your first ...well I say no time like the present. like many of the others said, rats are nasty little critters and when it comes to protecting your family and pets the only good rat is a dead rat. if your not gonna shoot it, dont hesitate to get a trap out for it

and njenkins you dont have to worry about hunting with lead, as long as you dont eat the lead you will be fine. lead does not transfer anything harmfull to your meat unless, you leave it in there for a long time, (longer than the meat would stay good for) as a matter of fact lead is optimum for hunting its heavy weight transfers more energy and makes for cleaner kills.

·
SSF Founder
5,225 Posts
WOW! arb 45 ft/ibs that is a ton!
See pic for explanation
I love shooting this brute and am quite accurate with it.

PS Joerg has gotten at least 60 ft/lbs from his creations and that's without a fork extension or wrist brace!

[/quote]

Nice rig!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts