Slingshots Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm thrilled by the dimention factor of viruses. Check this:

If you divide 1 meter in a thousand parts you have a millimeter (0.0393701 in).

Now, if you divide 1 millimeter in ONE MILLON PARTS, you have a nanometer (1 nm = 3.937E-8 in).

The Corona 19 virus measures about 120 nm and it's not even the smallest virus out there that may extinguish the human species. By comparison, an atom measures about 0.1 to 0.5 nm. Amazing. Also, believe it or not, let me quote:

In terms of their absolute numbers, viruses appear to be the most abundant biological entities on planet Earth. The best current estimate is that there are a whopping 1031 virus particles in the biosphere. We can begin to come to terms with these astronomical numbers by realizing that this implies that for every human on the planet there are nearly Avogadro's number worth of viruses. This corresponds to roughly 108 viruses to match every cell in our bodies.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One millionth of a meter is a micrometer (or micron). Nanometer is one thousandth of a micrometer.

Virus is way smaller than a micron. You are right.

People are crazy about N95 face masks. What does N95 mean? It can stop 95% of particles of 1 micron diameter. So it is rather useless against virus. Fortunately most virus cannot survive long without being in droplets. Droplets fly out of you when you breathe, sneeze, cough. A masks stops those from coming out of you, so wearing a mask is primarily to protect the others. Of course it also helps stop breathing in droplets already floating in air. N95 is doing better job in that regard, if it is worn correctly.

Some masks have valves. They let the exhale out unfiltered, which negates the primary purpose of wearing a mask. Those are for industrial use.

Virus pandemic is nothing new. If one cares to look, common flu indeed kills a lot of people every year, even with flu shots. We don't seem to care much about it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts